embarkation question

aerojommel

1st post from a cruise virgin.

Q: We are flying into Miami @ 9:30am. Embarkation time is listed as 1:30pm. Does this mean we can not beigin the process of boarding the ship until 1:30. Is it like a check-in time at a hotel? If so, what is there to do around the cruise terminal?

1st post from a cruise virgin.

Q: We are flying into Miami @ 9:30am. Embarkation time is listed as 1:30pm. Does this mean we can not beigin the process of boarding the ship until 1:30. Is it like a check-in time at a hotel? If so, what is there to do around the cruise terminal?

Pretty much NOTHING to do at the cruise terminal except sit at wait. That being said, you will probably start boarding sooner than 1:30. Most cruises that I've been on they have started boarding between 11:30 and noon, but our last one had to go thru extensive cleaning (they had noro the previous week) and they didn't start boarding till 2PM.

For a flight arriving at 9:30AM, by the time you collect your luggage and find a cab or driver, you could safely go directly to the port and just wait for boarding.

Have a great cruise!

I would advise against buying the cruise transfer. You will do your waiting at the airport until the bus is filled. Much better to wait at the cruise terminal and be among the first aboard. You're paying for the day - plan to enjoy it!

I would advise against buying the cruise transfer. You will do your waiting at the airport until the bus is filled. Much better to wait at the cruise terminal and be among the first aboard. You're paying for the day - plan to enjoy it!

Are you suggesting that a cab would be better?

Yes, take a cab. They are plentiful at the airport, and at the port, when it's time to go home! By the time you retrieve you luggage, get the cab and get to the port, boarding will have begun. Many will start boarding at 11am or soonafter.

The ship's water is fine to drink---so you really don't need to worry about lugging that! Sodas cost about $2 per can, or you can buy a soda card ($7pp per day) for unlimited fountain soda. We've never bothered stopping to buy any to bring onboard...I'm sure there's a convenience store somewhere along the way.

If you are cruising out of Miami, then it is a flat-rate $24 cab ride from the airport to the cruiseport. You may be able to convince a cabbie to stop someplace on the way, but that would probably call for a serious tip or removal of the flat rate. I'd make sure you bring something to do (book, puzzles, etc) and some snacks because you'll probably have at least a little bit of a wait getting there that early.

Archived