My Experience in Costa Maya

ParrotHeadFL

I'm in the process of writing a full trip report here:

[url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=100717[/url]

Below is an excerpt of the part where I talk about Costa Maya:

The next port was Costa Maya. No tender here, since the port has a dock. Our goal was to grab a taxi to Majahual, but the process didn't quite work the way we had expected. We went to the taxi area and noticed taxis dropping people off, then leaving without trying to pick up new passengers. Huh? Well, it turns out you've got to buy a taxi ticket from a little booth, apparently. We did this, and got in line with others. We all loaded up on a van, and it took us to the south end of Majahual. There was a guy in line with us who had said something about "going to town to shop." I don't know what town he meant, but he didn't seem thrilled when he ended up in Majahual. His first question when he got there was asking how to get back to Costa Maya!

We meandered through Majaual for a while, and my wife did the tourist thing and got some breads in her hair. We ended up at Pez Quadro, where we ordered some drinks and found some loungers to lay on by the water. We sunned ourselves until we got too warm, then hit the water for a while, then sunned ourselves some more. I had planned to get a massage after drying off, but alas it wasn't to be. Some storm clouds were brewing off on the horizon, and we could quickly tell that they were moving our way. We figured we'd better start heading on back to the port, so we packed up our gear and hit the road. We wanted to grab some lunch in an authentic Mexican spot, but we weren't interested in seafood (we live in Florida and have fresh seafood all the time). We found one little restaurant that looked promising, but my wife just couldn't take the heat so we left. We grabbed a taxi back to the port, and went to the restaurant there. We sat outside, where there was a breeze. Plus, we were under an umbrella and the clouds were pretty heavy by then. In fact, no sooner had we sat down then the rain started. The restaurant was packed, and the waiter told us he didn't recommend that we order a meal because it would take like an hour to prepare it! We were pretty surprised. We settled for chips and salsa, which he brought in no time. We weren't impressed, though. The chips were way too crunchy for us. Oh, we also ordered some sort of enormous drink. I didn't know it was enormous when I ordered it, and was pretty surprised when it arrived! It was tasty and strong, and my wife and I polished it off. We paid by credit card, then hit the shops. We didn't buy anything, and got on the ship a little while later. I wish we could've spent more time at port, but the weather just wasn't any good.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived