Back from Gem with 13mo DS

eringirl79

We had a great time cruising with DS!

NCL isn't my favorite, but went with them because it was soooo cheap for DS.

He was a HUGE hit with the crew!

A few things I was immensely glad we had were the scented diaper trash bag things, the disposable bibs, backpack "leash", a little Fisher Price Rainforest diaper organizer bag thingy, and the infamous Target Duck Tub.

A wonderful idea that I read on here was carrying a baggie with snack foods and a bib. We left ours in the pocket of the umbrella stroller all the time, would refill as needed with animal crackers, crunchies, yogurt melts, disposable bibs, etc.

One thing we did forget, which we specially bought last summer was his float..... bummer, but he MUCH preferred playing in the sand anyway!!! We had a sun shelter, tent like thing, that was perfect!! Was the best $25 we have spent in a LONG time, funny thing is... we have had it for like 5 years, long before DS was around!

I have NO IDEA how people get around the ship with a full size stroller, we have a Maclaren Triumph that we used and it was great!

The best part of the whole ship was the baby play room, that unfortunately we didn't find until late the 2 day at sea. But the rest of the trip we had daily play time up there!!!

Funny side note..... DS is fair skinned blonde little boy.... On our last port day, which was day 5 of caribbean sun, we were asked by a passer by if we had sunscreen for him!!! ummm duh... he was hardly even tanned, so I would have to say YES!!! LOL

Anyway, we had a great time, many thanks to the numerous posts on here, which gave us many GREAT ideas!!!!

Excellent! Thanks for the post. We'll be on the Jewel with our 15 month old in March.

Do you remember where you got your sunshade or can you post a link to one like it? I've really debated getting one. I'm not sure he'd stay under it. But I like the idea.

We got our sun shelter at the local army/navy store, but this is the same one we have.

http://www.amazon.com/Rio-Portable-Cabana-Beach-Shelter/dp/B0009P3DQO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1233018296&sr=8-2

DS didn't necessarily sit inside the tent, but at the beach in St. Maarten he sat in the shadow the shelter provided so he could play in the sand. My in-laws cruised with us and FIL isn't a sun person at all, and he used the shelter quite a bit. I like the fact that you can go into the ocean and stay for a while and not worry about wandering the beach looking for your towels, you can always count on some shade, very inexpensive compared to renting an umbrella at all the beaches and it is very portable. As I said before we took just our little Maclaren and we were able to tuck this in the little mesh storage bin under the stroller.

Mevers: The kids section on Gem was great! We weren't sure where it was, so we went into tree tops or whatever the kids program is called and asked. It is located right off of the main pool section. So the outer part is where the kiddie pool is and some playground type toys and a kiddie sized picnic table. Then through another door is the play room. Padded floor with a bunch of toys. DS had a great time in there. He was able to run around without his "leash" and play freely. Not a lot of people seemed to use the area... I saw only two other families there on a consistent basis.

Mevers: The kids section on Gem was great! We weren't sure where it was, so we went into tree tops or whatever the kids program is called and asked. It is located right off of the main pool section. So the outer part is where the kiddie pool is and some playground type toys and a kiddie sized picnic table. Then through another door is the play room. Padded floor with a bunch of toys. DS had a great time in there. He was able to run around without his "leash" and play freely. Not a lot of people seemed to use the area... I saw only two other families there on a consistent basis.

Thank you so much for this info! We were planning a 10-day HAL cruise with DH and DD 11 months (in May) but had to cancel because DH got a promotion and 10-days is just out pf question. We are booked on NCL's Gem now so this info was very welcome. :) Just one thought though....do you know if the "baby playing area" is open for under 1 year olds too?

Just to throw it out there. We bring along a Combi stroller when we travel. It's very light, but well made. FOlds up very tight for airplane and cruise travel. Take a look at them, they're great to travel with. I think ours is the Soho Savvy or something like that.

Archived