1st time cruise with autistic teen

katmu

I had originally posted this on the Carnival board, but they suggested that someone here might be able to help also.

My mom and I are taking my 2 sons, ages 16 and 17 on a cruise on the Valor over spring break. My older son suffers from high functioning autism, also known as Aspergers. I would love to hear some advice from other parents of teens with special needs about the teen programs on Carnival and how you prepare your child for a cruise. We are flying in the day before so we won't be rushed. I booked 2 oceanview cabins near the back of the main deck as I'm hoping that it will be quieter. What else do I need to plan for?

Welcome to the Family Board. :)

There are parents here who have children with the same condition. But if they don't get a chance to share their experiences, I wanted to give you some past threads.

Basically, Camp Carnival is wonderful.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=784328

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=806432

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=661382

My son has PDD and Carnival has always been great with him. He is a lot younger than your son- he is 8 now (cruised with Carnival ages 2 through 6) but they have always been very accomodating. I would recommend that you bring any items from home that bring him comfort. For my son, that is a special blanket and bear. I would also recommend a portable video game system, DVD player and/or MP3 player with his favorite music if he is into those things. It might help to let your son see pictures of the ship and daily schedules (regular and teen) so he can know what to expect and look forward too. Happy Cruising!

We have taken my teen dd who also has aspergers. I guess what we learned last time was to let her know that planned activities may not always happen. She would get very excited with anticpipation of a Kids Club activity and could not cope when it did not happen for whatever reason. (This was HAL not Carnival). She also has very high morals and became distressed at the actions of one particular group of teens who were a bit mischievous. She had a great time on the cruise but did need her "own time" to watch DVD's in the cabin or read her books - her 2 great loves. She can't wait for our next cruise. I'm sure your family will have a great time.

Archived