Just off the Legend (Jan 18-25)

Dabbo

Mini-review (more to follow - it's been a long day). Thanks to previous posters and those who answered my pre-trip questions - much appreciated.

Previous cruises - Destiny, Inspiration, and Pride

Legend - very good across the board (food, service, etc). Overall, expectations were consistently met or exceeded. The Golden Fleece (onboard supper club) was a nice indulgence for our anniversary dinner.

Cozumel - always a good time, played with dolphins and partied downtown this trip.

Belize - Cave-Tubing and ATV ride in the jungle. Not a bad way to spend a day, but WAY overrated by the folks on this board. Weather was good and the local tour operator was awesome (cave-tubing.com), it's just "ok" as far as activities go. Out of our four stops, probably our least favorite.

Roatan - a VERY nice surprise and a place we'd happily return to (never heard of the place 'til we booked). More in the longer review, but Naomi from Victor Bodden's tours is someone I can recommend without reservation. We toured the island, did the zip-line thing, played with monkeys, hung out at a resort beach, etc.

Grand Cayman - make the mandatory trip to Stingray City and spent some time at Rum Point Beach. Both were terrific - hated to leave.

More to come in the next day or so...

The movies change just about daily. There are three day that start, on seperate channels, at 12, 3, 6, 9, and 12 again. The satellite feed's from Denver, so you'll also get some news channels, TNT, etc. We had a Cat 11 suite and even that class had a VCR. Tell your girls to bring some VHS tapes from home if they're that worried about it. Finally, there are movies you can "rent" online (like you do in a hotel or through your "on demand" provider. Hope that helps!

Hi saltmom1: We were on the Legend on the New Year's cruise, and Dessi was the Maitre'D. We had many conversations with her and she didn't mention moving. She's a lovely gal and I hope she stays!

The guy who addressed us all, on a couple of nights, was introduced as the Maitre'D. Not a big deal to me personally, but I just got off the boat and the closest thing to an empowered female in the room was the hostess.

Was also on this cruise and had a blast. This ended up being one of my favs!! Everything was great, could of been a tad warmer for my liking. My only complaint was debarking in Grand Cayman. Very chaotic. Yusuf was the maitre'd and he did say he's only been on the ship for about one month.!! We're already looking into next year's cruise.

Maybe Dessi is the hostess? Interesting! She did introduce herself to us as the Maitre'D.

No, Dessi was DEFINITELY the Maitre' D when I sailed on Jan 4 this year. I'm sorry if she is no longer there.

Sorry . RaMar, just picked the wrong thread to quote. When were you on the ship ?

Was also on this cruise and had a blast. This ended up being one of my favs!! Everything was great, could of been a tad warmer for my liking. My only complaint was debarking in Grand Cayman. Very chaotic. Yusuf was the maitre'd and he did say he's only been on the ship for about one month.!! We're already looking into next year's cruise.

Not Yotsa ? He was our headwaiter and joked with him that he would be the Maitre' D after my review. He was THE BEST !

Just off the Legend as well - the dining room had two maitre d's... the male one was Yousef (which I've likely spelled wrong) and he was there every night for late seating... there was a female one as well, who addressed everyone during the galley tour...tho I didn't actually see her in the dining room at any point.

We werw on the 1/18-1/25 sailing and Dessi was there she came by our table in the upper level late traditional seating everynight and spoke to us. She was very energetic and fun to talk to. I thought she was an assistant Matre'd and Yusuf was the head Matre'd.

We werw on the 1/18-1/25 sailing and Dessi was there she came by our table in the upper level late traditional seating everynight and spoke to us. She was very energetic and fun to talk to. I thought she was an assistant Matre'd and Yusuf was the head Matre'd.

Maybe that's the answer. Dessi does the early and she is the assistant Maitre'd and the male Maitre'd works the late seating. Glad to hear she was still there the last cruise.

Why didn't you like the cave tubing? Why is the stingray thing so good? I think they're a bit creepy.

Cave-tubing was "ok" - a bit tame for our tastes and it might've stayed interesting if the time invested were about 50% less.

We liked interacting with the rays & dolphins. Different, yes, but we viewed it as something new to experience rather than creepy.

Dabbo, We are sailing on the 5th of july-Are the pools open to swim on departure day? They were on the Sensation a few weeks ago. I sure hope so. It will sure help keep our grandkids happy until we sail. Thanks for the information. I am anxious to read about Rooaton. We have not been there. Been to Belize and did not care for that stop either. Did the cave thing.

To each his own...but for us, the cave tubing...was probably overrated. It was okay...and I was impressed with how LARGE the cave actually is...but there was a lot of travel...(by bus)...just to get there...followed by large crowds of people, followed by lots of walking, finally followed by NOT that much river tubing...and NOT that exciting...(probably best though...because when the river is really running fast...it can be very dangerous.) And then of course...you have to do all of that in reverse to get back to the ship.

Stingrays...we've done it three times now...and for me at least...they are kind of slimy...not creepy...but slimy!!! Gorgeous, fantastic, very unique experience...but slimy!

Dotsub - the pools WERE open on departure day. I think I saw some kids who were already waterlogged by the time I made it to the Lido deck. Will get to the "real" review in another day or two.

Maxax - Agree with you on both acounts - though I'm sure the stingrays probably find us odd too. :)

Hi saltmom1: Sorry to hear that Dessi is no longer on the Legend. She was for our cruise 12/28 - 1/4.

For those asking...Dessi is the SR Asst. Maitre D' and she's still on the Legend. I believe she will be on the Legend until 4/09 and she will then go on vacation for a few months and return back to the Legend. I recently started a thread just for her on this forum if someone wants to chime in there and make a post there. My fiance' and I spoke to her at length on our last cruise with her. She really loves her job and goes above and beyond what most Maitre D's do. After the cruise...I found out that Carnival has no female Maitre D's on all it's ships. I wrote CCL President Mr Cahill telling him my experiences about Dessi and I that I thought she was a great asset to the company and would love to see her get promoted to the Maitre D' position. He replied back that he was forwarding my email to shipside and shoreside staff and he was personally sailing on the Legend this year. Maybe if there are enough people that reply to my thread about Dessi and post their thoughts on promoting her...Mr Cahill or shoreside staff will take notice ?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=913527

Archived