Elation 10/17/04

therbst

Progreso
We had originally planned to catch a ride into Merrida, but, since this was our first trip to this port, we decided to just spend the day in Progreso. Just off the ship, at the end of a very long pier,
several shops are set up with prices about the same as found at the stalls and shops in town. If you just want to shop, you need go no further.
Free buses take passengers into Progreso and leave them about 2 blocks up from the beach. There is a city square there with many open-air booths selling all sorts of crafts, t-shirts, etc. Tour busses are also available there for tours around Progreso.
We walked down to the beach, then back up through the town. We occasionally passed other passengers in town, but most of the people we saw were residents, not tourists, but we never felt uncomfortable or conspicuous We found a place with about 6 computers available with internet access for $1 per hour, and everyone got caught up on their emails. We walked as far as the central park and never felt uncomfortable on the streets of Progreso. It was a nice opportunity to see how the people of Mexico live. We did find the market not intended for tourists which included meat and fruit stands which should have given us second thoughts about eating at the local restaurants. Back at the beach, we stopped for lunch at what looked like the nicest restaurant along the Malecon - the one with the large thatched roof. The chips and guacamole were great, and my wife and daughter decided that was enough., but my son, my daughter, and I decided to try the tacos and burritos, It took nearly an hour for the meals to arrive. They were cold and, after smelling hers, my daughter opted out. I wish I had that good sense. Montezuma's revenge is not a fun time.
As others have mentioned, the water looked pretty murky along the beach. A few people were swimming, but it didn't look too inviting.

Archived