Wheelchair on airplane stowed onboard?

Mskerri22

I've read many airlines allow 1 folding wheelchair to be stowed onboard if it fits weight and measurment requirements. does anyone know if this means in the overhead compartment like regular carryon luggage or is there a special stowing area like near the cockpit or kitchen area. Preferably on Delta or jetblue. I've called both airlines many times for my aunt and uncle who will be flying with my uncles chair for the first time and they are afraid of cargo hold damage like regular luggage falling on it during flight.

I've read many airlines allow 1 folding wheelchair to be stowed onboard if it fits weight and measurment requirements. does anyone know if this means in the overhead compartment like regular carryon luggage or is there a special stowing area like near the cockpit or kitchen area. Preferably on Delta or jetblue. I've called both airlines many times for my aunt and uncle who will be flying with my uncles chair for the first time and they are afraid of cargo hold damage like regular luggage falling on it during flight.

I travel all the time with my folding wheelchair..sometimes when we have upgraded to first class (with miles) they have room in the cabin for the w/c. Usually it must go into the hold. Be sure to take the removable foot supports off along with any special cushions they may use...they will help you put them in the overhead bins. I also take a photo of my chair before we leave to be able to prove its condition in case of damage. So far I have been lucky on all my flights (on many different airlines) there has been no problem.

I make sure I get on the plane first and I am the last off...by that time they have brought my w/c up for me and there is a 'pusher' to take me to luggage claim. Be sure the crew calls ahead and lets them know that you need help.

Also make sure that your uncle's name is on the chair in several places, not just the tag they will get when they board the plane. I put sticky name tags under the arms of the chair too. Many of the w/c look alike...

Your aunt and uncle should be fine...tell them to be patient and keep smiling...it helps

Arlene

Being in coach or first class has nothing to do with stowing folding WC in cabin. the airline is required by DOT regulations to carry the WC in cabin for the FIRST person that requests it. it goes into one of the closets in the cabin area and if necessary they have to remove crew items and or first class passenger items to accomodate it. but is it first come only. it is not in the overheads etc.

I have had good luck with it lately, after watching my chair unloaded from the hold down a conveyor and watch the guy at the end look at it and let it fall off the end to the ground.

(I'm using "you" here to refer to your uncle/aunt. Easier than writing that out each time!)

If the plane is large enough, there is a closet right near the front where ONE -- and only one -- wheelchair can be stowed. So if you're first in line to board, maybe you'll get lucky and they'll be able to stow it there. They won't put it in the overhead, though. Sometimes if the plane isn't full -- and that is really rare these days -- they've been known to stow it in the back in a row of empty seats (with the brakes on, and lashed with a seatbelt to one of the seats. But these days the planes are usually stuffed full.

Otherwise, come prepared for it to be stowed as cargo. I take a large canvas bag with me, and put the foot rests in that, and the seat, and any other "loose parts". A couple of bungee cords will hold the wheels together.

When you check in, ask for the chair to be "gate checked" -- that means you stay in it until you board, and then you transfer out of it, have someone with you stick the footrests, etc., into the canvas bag, put on the bungee cords -- and then they'll carry it down to the hold of the plane. Then when it's time to get off the plane, about 30 minutes before landing, remind the flight attendants that your chair is "gate checked" -- and they'll call ahead to have it brought up to you at the door of the plane.

If you've used the bungee cord (or velcro straps) to tie together the wheels, this accomplishes two things -- the chair is more apt to be "together", and will rest against the side of the plane, rather than be in the "open" position where there is a tendency to stack stuff on it; and they have to carry it on/off the plane, rather than try to "bounce" it on its wheels, which could lead to breakage. Or they'll lay it on it's side on top of other luggage.

I've travelled a lot with my chair and other than a couple of scratches, haven't had any serious damage to it.

Jet Blue and Delta express and basically any 737 do not have a closet. I wouldn't waste my time trying to get in the crews storage. That is not going to happen. I wouldn't worry about a manual chair as long as it can fold. If you follow the advise on the boards you won't have any problem. Remember today is the tomorrow that you worried about yesterday.Don't let worry take away from the cruise.

A lot of the newer and smaller aircraft that many of the airlines are now flying don't have a space to put a wheelchair. There's no closet and the overheads barely fit a small carryon. Even some of the larger aircraft don't have the closet, so you may not have a choice but to gate check it.

It is not so much a matter of what airline will carry a wheelchair in the cabin as it is the type of aircraft. AA 777s have space for one wheelchair in a closet - one problem we have encountered when requesting that is that it is used by crew for storing their bags:)

A good source of information about this can be found on www.flyertalk.com . Also, you can find out if a certain plane has a closet by going to www.seatguru.com . For example, if you are thinking of booking Delta and that flight has 737's (I don't know their fleet), you can find the configuration of Delta's 737 on seatguru and find out if they have a closet on board.

I flew coach to Heawthrow on a 777 and they put it in the closet.The crew has another closet. I got bumped to busines class on the way back. Again my chair went in the closet and there was another w/c person with us and they got bumped tobusiness class but that chair went in the belly but was waiting at the door when we arrived at Logan. Whata wonderful plane. In business class you can actually lay down. f

Jet Blue and Delta express and basically any 737 do not have a closet. I wouldn't waste my time trying to get in the crews storage. That is not going to happen. I wouldn't worry about a manual chair as long as it can fold. If you follow the advise on the boards you won't have any problem. Remember today is the tomorrow that you worried about yesterday.Don't let worry take away from the cruise.

We recently flew on AA on 737-800 and my wheelchair was stored in the closet.

US Airways is absolutely the worst. They will not stow it in the cabin if it interferes with where the crew keeps their coats and such. I refuse to fly them any longer as they simply flout the law regarding this and handicap seating. Shame on them.

I flew coach to Heawthrow on a 777 and they put it in the closet.The crew has another closet. I got bumped to busines class on the way back. Again my chair went in the closet and there was another w/c person with us and they got bumped tobusiness class but that chair went in the belly but was waiting at the door when we arrived at Logan. Whata wonderful plane. In business class you can actually lay down. f

ohhhh - what bliss to be upgraded (this has never happened to me!) what did you do to make that happen???? would love to know

US Airways is absolutely the worst. They will not stow it in the cabin if it interferes with where the crew keeps their coats and such. I refuse to fly them any longer as they simply flout the law regarding this and handicap seating. Shame on them.

Have you ever told them to call the CRO when they said you could not be accomodated?

We've had good luck with American if we're on a plane with a closet in front.........all of the flight crews we've run across on United, refuse to put the chair in the closet............"what? that's where we have OUR bags!!!" It's not worth fighting over to me, but we could................. It doesn't matter if we're flying coach or have upgraded to First...............it just seems to depend on crew attitude.

Question was asked about what we did to get upgraded to business class. The answer is nothing.We fly 3 or 4 times a year and we have been bumped 3 or 4 times. If they have a lot of empty seats they have put us there because it is easier on them would be my guess.We are frequent flyers and our miles and points from our card to upgrade if the flight is over 4 hours. We put everything on our card and pay it in full every month.We have been putting our daugters college tuition on for the last 4 years and that gave us a ton of miles. I must admit I won't miss getting those miles but it did take the bite out of the tuitions. When we buy a new car they let us put 5000 on our card. Again if you don't pay it in full when it comes in it's notworth it because the interest is ridiculous. In NH they don't have a userycieling. It's the live free and die state.

• 2 weeks later...

We have not had so much luck with wheelchair on planes. We have had 3 wheelchairs damaged on planes. Two were split in half. My only suggestion is never go in the day of your cruise so you have extra time to deal with problems. If it ever happens to you, demand that the airlines start calling disability stores to get you a replacement for your vacation. All three of these chairs were broken on international flights. All were gate checked.

Question was asked about what we did to get upgraded to business class. The answer is nothing.We fly 3 or 4 times a year and we have been bumped 3 or 4 times. If they have a lot of empty seats they have put us there because it is easier on them would be my guess.We are frequent flyers and our miles and points from our card to upgrade if the flight is over 4 hours. We put everything on our card and pay it in full every month.We have been putting our daugters college tuition on for the last 4 years and that gave us a ton of miles. I must admit I won't miss getting those miles but it did take the bite out of the tuitions. When we buy a new car they let us put 5000 on our card. Again if you don't pay it in full when it comes in it's notworth it because the interest is ridiculous. In NH they don't have a userycieling. It's the live free and die state.

We have also been fortunate to have been bumped up a few times. As the above writer states, it may be easier on the air personnel, as they don't have to then drag me (I am a paraplegic) down a long economy aisle, and maybe they just decide to upgrade us. But I do do one thing I once read about. I dress as if I would "fit in" in first class (not that those who actually pay for first class have to). I always wear a jacket and tie. And wearing the jacket saves space for us in our luggage.

They do have a dress code for use of the first class/business section by those who are not paying for the privilege. I remember once when they called back an airline employee, who was flying gratis as an employee, because she was wearing jeans! So dressing up will not ensure an upgrade, but it certainly won't hurt one's chances.

Archived