Cruise insurance question

um5xno1

Hi Gang,

I am pricing out insurance for our 4-25 Liberty of the Seas trip with DW and DD (13 mths at time of cruise).

Our TA is a trusted friend of my DM, and is reccomending a travel insurance company for us. I will not post the link, bc of board rules, I just want to run the price by everyone here to see if it sounds comparable to policies others have purchased.

My wife and I are getting the under 35 rate, with the baby the total policy is $95 for all three....this seems low to me (not to complain) but I want to ensure that we are covered in all aspects from travel issues and illness before boarding, and inclusvie of all perils, illness, injury, lost luggage, and lost ID while away.

Does this price seem to be par for the course, or is it way off?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

That sounds quite reasonable to me, but insurance cost takes into account cruise fare fare and in some cases airfare, as well, as you mention, age. I'm in my 30's and my wife is in her 40's. We paid about $100/person for our 9 night cruise (much less for our 3 year old) through the cruise line and about $50/person for a 12 night cruise that we booked (and then had to cancel). We had a Family Oceanview in the one we took and had booked a balcony. You can check around for rates by doing a google search on travel insurance if you're worried. But as you suggest, make sure that you understand what it does and DOESN'T cover. Good luck!

• Administrators
Hi Gang,

I am pricing out insurance for our 4-25 Liberty of the Seas trip with DW and DD (13 mths at time of cruise).

Our TA is a trusted friend of my DM, and is reccomending a travel insurance company for us. I will not post the link, bc of board rules, I just want to run the price by everyone here to see if it sounds comparable to policies others have purchased.

My wife and I are getting the under 35 rate, with the baby the total policy is $95 for all three....this seems low to me (not to complain) but I want to ensure that we are covered in all aspects from travel issues and illness before boarding, and inclusvie of all perils, illness, injury, lost luggage, and lost ID while away.

Does this price seem to be par for the course, or is it way off?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

What is covered in the policy you are considering? If it doesn't cover "all aspects" of travel and illness issues, all perils, etc -- then it might not be a good price, since that coverage is what you want.

The only way to know for sure whether the risks against which you wish to insure are covered is to read the policy -- all the terms. Yes, the teeny "mice type." Many travel delay policies will NOT cover you if the delay is a weather-related flight less than a certain time (I've seen one where a 6 hour delay isn't covered). MOST policies do not cover acts of terrorism, or cruiseline bankruptcy/default, unless you purchase separate riders for terrorism/insolvency.

There was a recent thread on another board here at CC in which the poster was astonished to realize that the insurance they purchased specifically excluded "civil unrest," which in turn meant the insurer didn't pay for travel delays due to a coup in one of the countries involved (said coup having closed the airport for a few days).

Insurance is a commodity, but also a legal contract. The seller is only obligated to insure you for risks pursuant to the terms of the contract -- so if you have things for which you MUST be insured, making sure you read the contract is paramount.

PS Try comparison shopping at http://www.insuremytrip.com.

Archived