San Gervasio Ruins

worry wart

Have not been to San Gervasio so I can't say. I know that it does not have the big temples such as you see on the mainland (Costa Maya, Belize, etc). It will give you insight into the daily and ceremonial life of the Mayas, and it will be in a nice open jungle setting. But it won't be as visually impressive as the big mainland sites.

It is accessible by taxi, roughly as far from the pier as some of the beaches down the coast.

I personally don’t think they are worth seeing, I wasn’t impressed at all. As far as the taxis... they are easy to get. I think it cost $8 a person to get there and back plus what it cost to get in. Our driver asked how long we would be and meet us afterwards. I have some pics if interested

I haven't been to the mainland ruins. Seeing San Gervasio was fine for us. You get an idea. We spent about 1.5 hrs. there.

We rented a jeep ourselves. We than continued around the island. Made a few stops. Returned the jeep. Did a little shopping before getting on the ship. If getting a taxi, I would think a pick up time would be established.

Our family hired a driver for the day and got a great overview of the island complete with a stop at San Gervasio.

We enjoyed visiting the ruins very much. Lots to learn about and many intersting things to see. We spent about an hour there. Spent about 10-15 minutes checking out the shops in the courtyard afterward.

Is it as impressive as Tulum? Chichen Itza? No. This is a smaller, more compact site. Still, I felt it was worth stopping there to get some history and take some pictures.

It would probably be best if you hired a cab for a few hours, or arranged for a drop off/pick up before you head out.

We hired Gerry ( a private driver) for $95.00 for 3 hours (total...not per person) and designed our own tour of the island. Additional hours are $25.00 per hour.

We did not include these ruins...only because this is not what interested us.

However, from what cruisers have reported back...while there is not a lot "physically" to see .... the history and information they gleamed was good.

I think that as long as folks are aware that there is not the huge physical presentation they are used to seeing at "ruins"... the history will make it a good stop.

When we drove past...Gerry told us it was $10 per person to get in.

Enjoy!!

How far is San Gervasio from the cruise port?

How far are the more impressive ones?

This really doesn't interest me but my husband says it would be a good learning experience for the kids. I do agree on that but I don't want to spend a long time traveling to get there.

San Gervasio is about 5-7 miles, 15 minutes at most, from the pier. To get to the main ones, you take an hour boat ride to the mainland. Thn you take a bus ride for another 15 minutes. I have read it is close to 3 hours total for the commute.

Archived