Carnival Newbie - Fascination 4/18/2009

AliasLily

::shyly waves hello::

Newbie Carnival Cruiser here. Taking my family (me, DH, 8 & 10 year olds, and 80-something mom) on the Fascination out of Jax on 4/18. We're all really excited. DH & I have done 1 cruise (NCL Majesty, Boston - Bermuda) and enjoyed it a lot.

Anyone taking this cruise?

My main question is about Half Moon Cay. Has anyone used the very pricey beach cabanas? I thought it might be a good idea to go ahead and splurge, so we can have a base camp that day. Mom loves the beach, the water, but probably won't want to be in the sun all day. I assume we'll do a snorkel excursion but will also want to enjoy the beach to the fullest. Any pros/cons would be much appreciated.

Also how is the vibe on the pool deck? It's the one thing I didn't really like on the Majesty -- not enough elbow room, too much booze, smoke, etc to really enjoy. Plus that pool was very tiny. Any suggestions here (which part of which deck to hang out on for a mellower vibe) would also be much appreciated!

Looking forward to this cruise. Got excellent phone service from the Carnival rep. Booking connecting rooms, a separate room for mom, etc. All went very well.

We're staying at the Jax La Quinta by the airport. Mainly because we're arriving late the night before, want cheap, and they have a free shuttle to the terminal. Any reviews on that would be great.

Hope to hear good stuff about the Fascination -- this newbie is very excited! I'm the planner for the 5 of us, so I'd better get my ducks in a row.

See you on board!

AliasLily

You need to do some reading around.

Here's a link to a Fascination thread...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=826275

Here's a link to my 12/13/08 review...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=891443&highlight=

Visit the "Private Islands" board under the "Ports of Call" for lots of threads about the cabanas on HMC.

There's a link to my Webshots page that has photos of HMC, too.

It's my favorite place ever. I specifically did the Fascination cruise just so I could return (my 3rd visit there). It truly is paradise. I could never justify the price of a cabana (just sail with my DD). I'm happy with a $15 clamshell.

I don't "do" the main pool area. Too crowded, too many screaming kids, and I personally have never heard a pool band that didn't make me feel like my ears were going to bleed. I normally go up a deck where there is plenty of chair space, yet easy access to the buffet to grab a snack or refresh your beverage. Unfortunately, we had next to NO sun on our two sea days last month, so I didn't spend any time on deck, hardly. :(

Really enjoyed Fascination. I love the Fantasy class, although they aren't the newest, biggest ships out there. I know my way around and just really like them. She's pretty tastefully decorated (for a Carnival ship), and the food was better than on my prior 2 7-night cruises.

Enjoy!

Archived