Jewel Or Pearl - West or East - Help, Please

yomaryjo

We need help to decide which ship and which direction. We are two couples, late 40's early 50's and so excited to be cruising together for our second cruise but are in a dilemna. Should we cruise on the Jewel to the West Caribbean or to the East on the Pearl. We have never cruised NCL before - we have cruised together once before on Princess but have decided to try NCL - we liked the casual cruising idea so, now, we are asking this board to help us decide. We are so excited about being together that we do not really care which direction but, which way do you think is best and the most interesting. We have been told that St. Thomas is horrible and Tortola great and Samana awful and Belize wonderful - we are sooo confused - what do you think? What would you advise us to do? Thanks for your help.

I think you'll find many different opinions on this. A lot of people also love St Thomas, love Samana, hate Belize, etc!!! I suggest you go to the ports of call boards and investigate each of the different ports to find what might interest you. There really are fun things to do in each and every place - some are just more limited than others. We have been on both ships and love them both so I would choose more for the itinerary than the ship.

We are on the Pearl western Caribbean this spring only because it was the only sailing that fit into our spring break AND because we did some of the eastern ports last year. I can't say I'm really crazy about this itinerary but that is mostly because we have done all of these ports before and prefer to go to new places.

What do you like to do. Saint Thomas is great for shopping and also snorkeling is pretty good.

Belize is great for diving and snorkeling, but if you like to walk around and see the city, not so great. Tortola is beautiful, Samana is beautiful, but as far as shopping you cannot beat Saint Thomas. Jewel and Pearl same type of ship, but Pearl has bowling.

Well, I have been on both the Jewel and the Pearl and thoroughly enjoyed both ships! I was on the Jewel on a 15 night Transatlantic, and on the Pearl on a 7 night Alaska. I would not hesitate to go on either ship a second (or third, or fourth...) time. The Bowling and Bliss night club on the Pearl make it unique. I liked the spa set up on the Jewel better. I was in an AF Minisuite on both ships, and the cabins were the same. The restaurant selection was pretty much identical I think, just a different name or two. I don't think you can go wrong chosing between these two ships! I had my first Princess experience this past October, and while I enjoyed my vacation, I personally much prefer NCL.

I have no problem with St. Thomas, was there for the first time this past October and did a Discover Diving excursion to Coki Beach. I'd definitely go back again. I loved Belize when I was there a few years back. Did an excursion to the New River and Laminai and had an excellent time. I have not experienced Tortola or Semana so I can't help with that. I would recommend researching the ports of call on the 2 cruises, and select the cruise that calls on the places you find more interesting!

Well, we took everyones advice and checked out the ports - assuming that both ships were pretty equal (bowling alley on the Pearl didn't much matter to us). We have a friend in Belize we thought would be great to spend the day with so we opted for the Jewel December 13th. Yippee. We splurged on the mini suite - mainly because we got it back in the $300 credit we got per cabin with the special that was running till Feb 1st. Our question is - are cabins 11572 and 11574 good or are they toooo close to the elevators? We tried to get the aft facing cabins but were told they are no longer AF grades - any one have any cabin info they can help us with. I know this is way far in advance but I am already so excited - gives me plenty of time to exercise my way into my summer clothes. Help, please. Thanks to all for the great responses.

Oh, and we have also heard that the Pearl is beautiful and new and have not heard that much about the Jewel - all info is appreciated. Thanks.

so we opted for the Jewel December 13th.

You will love the Jewel. We have been on both the Pearl and the Jewel and both are beautiful ships. The Pearl is only one year newer and does have a few more bells and whistles ( like the bowling alley ). We were on the Pearl first and when we cruised on the Jewel did not miss what was on the Pearl. Overall, we enjoyed the Jewel more.

Enjoy your cruise on the Jewel!

We've been on all the Jewel-class ships, both the Dawn-class, plus the Dream and the Spirit.

Of the Jewel-class, we like the older ones, the Jewel and Jade more. Why? There's a lot more ballroom dancing on the Jewel/Jade. The dance club in the middle of the ship was turned into the store on the Pearl/Gem so they could put Bliss and the bowling alleys in--but the Bliss dance floor isn't used for ballroom.

OTOH, if you love bowling and don't ballroom dance, you may like Bliss better.

The center atrium on the Jewel/Jade is dumb...Big screen projector TV, but blocked off by the stairs and the atrium singers. BUT.......there are uncarpeted dance floor sections, good for New Years

On the Pearl/Gem, they moved the staircase and made the screen big. I mean BIG, like an old drive-in movie! But.......they carpeted the whole thing.

So...we prefer the Jewel and Jade to the Pearl and Gem. Then again, we like the Star best of all, and, when she was going out of NY, the Dawn about as well.

Well, we took everyones advice and checked out the ports - assuming that both ships were pretty equal (bowling alley on the Pearl didn't much matter to us). We have a friend in Belize we thought would be great to spend the day with so we opted for the Jewel December 13th. Yippee. We splurged on the mini suite - mainly because we got it back in the $300 credit we got per cabin with the special that was running till Feb 1st. Our question is - are cabins 11572 and 11574 good or are they toooo close to the elevators? We tried to get the aft facing cabins but were told they are no longer AF grades - any one have any cabin info they can help us with. I know this is way far in advance but I am already so excited - gives me plenty of time to exercise my way into my summer clothes. Help, please. Thanks to all for the great responses.

I can't comment on those particular cabins (in fact, I have not yet been on the Jewell), but I always like to be near the elevators and I have never had a noise problem. It makes it so convenient. I hate those hallways with a bunch of cabin doors that all look the same. I want my cabin now! :)

You'll have a great time in the Western!!

Archived