Mexican Street Vendors-Yikes!

jmh881

Recently returned from Mexican Riviera cruise. Was very surprised by the relentless street vendors. Some of them would not take "no thank you" for an answer and wow :eek: they were AGGRESSIVE! I felt bad because they obviously rely on cruisers for income, but at the same time I was so uncomfortable that we didn't even get off the ship at our last port. This was our first visit to Mexico so maybe we were unprepared? Is it like this in all Mexican ports?

We spend up to a month every year in Cabo and are never bothered by the vendors. Maybe we are just used to them! Not sure what you meant by them not taking no for an answer, what choice do they have? We always just say no gracias and keep moving.

The street vendors are relentless to those that they think they can crack. If you smile, are respectful, say gracias no, and behave in a confident manner, they will soon peacefully move on.

I learned the hard way years ago. I always thought that it was best to ignore them, this shows a lack of respect. In Morroco they are far more brutal, and I learned to become forceful and confident.

It's strange though, I have seen many wealthy Mexican locals quickly reject them with a disgusting frown on their faces, and that works for them. I think it's similar to how, in the USA, an African American can call another African American, a ni***r, and it is excepted.

Have any of you all noticed how the Mexican Upper Class handle it??

It has gotten lately that I don't even feel like I can shop or look over merchandise without being hounded. I really love to window shop and look but but now I feel as if I make any eye contact they all come over.

When we were on Stone Island it was a never ending parade. If I so much as looked at what a vendor had they started in. I felt like I had to keep focused on the table and not even look around.

I love to sit on the beach and haggle but the last trip did seem so much worse:(

Kris

I know how you feel. They were very bothersome in Mazatlan. On our shore excursion we ended up at a beach. They had a nice little are for us with beach chairs and umbrellas. And the area had a fence around most of the area. The vendors were standing just outside the fence. About 10 of them. All you had to do was look at them and they asked if you wanted to buy something.

I know how you feel. They were very bothersome in Mazatlan. On our shore excursion we ended up at a beach. They had a nice little are for us with beach chairs and umbrellas. And the area had a fence around most of the area. The vendors were standing just outside the fence. About 10 of them. All you had to do was look at them and they asked if you wanted to buy something.

What is wrong with that?:confused:

We've been going to Mexico at least once a year for 20+ years. Just there a couple of weeks ago. Yeah, the vendors will approach and ask to show their wares. But, I've never seen one who didn't respect a smile and "No gracias!" - OK maybe in Acapulco.

Constrast that with Jamaica where they are downright aggressive and threatening, I'll take Mexico every time.

As a side when we were in CSL 2 weeks ago today, my wife bought a simple necklace from a street vendor for about $12 while at a bar. As the young lady was leaving, I saw her cross herself (as a Catholic, I know this procedure) and say a short prayer. I was more than happy to be part of this.

Smooth sailin'

We have been to the Mexican Riviera various times and are about to leave for a longer stay in P. Vallarta.

Yes all along the coast you will find streetvenders, people who are making a living of selling articles to the public.

You will also see them on other places all around the world, the caribean, also in countries like Turkey, Tunesia etc.

A simple "no gracias" will do. Again those people are trying to make a living.

One more remark: you will sometimes meet children trying to sell stuff. Please donot buy from them to discourage that, they should go to school and the parents should to the vending.

I totally agree with you. The cabis in PV would not take "no thank you" for an answer and would cuss at us (in english) If you walked past ANY business , they seemed to try and literally PULL you in:((( Even while having lunch in a restaurant, a guy came up to us 3 times within 10 minutes wanting a tip for the band...We ended up going back to the boat because the kids were scared there:( The beauty is there but it is spoiled by the beggers...Quite honestly, I didnt notice it very much at all in Cabo. .I thought they were a little more respectful...

Cabo has had the most we've seen, also. But, you just learn to keep walking and tell them 'no gracias' nicely and they won't follow too far. If you do hesitate at all and/or turn around they think you might easily change your mind or buy something because you feel sorry for them. The first time we went to Cabo it took a couple of days to finally get used to just saying 'no gracias' and to just keep walking and looking at whatever else you wanted to. We, also, learned that if you tell the time share people that you don't have a credit card, they leave you alone real quick! :eek:

When we were on Stone Island there were some vendors, but not that many. We'll be in both places again this April, so I guess we'll see. I don't remember any vendors in PV other than the street faire vendors.

Archived