advice for concorde and crane from ship

cruznbelle

Hello, we will be in port in Feb on a Friday from 7am - 4pm. I am looking for advice in getting to the concorde and then to lunch at the crane (no beach, just viewing). And whether it's worth going to Bridgetown. Specifically I am confused on the taxi logistics from the pier and whether the taxi will wait for us at the concorde or do we have to get a new taxi?..

Now that I see pics of the Crane I realized I been there many many years ago.. I visited the island several times as I had a girlfriend whose parents owned what I remember as the Brown Pelican? in Bridgetown serving the BEST dish of flying fish and was the place to be on Fri night for lively political discussions. While I'm sad to say I do not remember names of places, I was there for the 25th anniversary of the restaurant, TV reporters and all, and have so many wonderful memories of the whole island.. But that was almost 20 yrs ago (yikes am I THAT old?) and I know in some respects it will be like I've never been there.

Any help would be appreciated. I really want to avoid a ship execursion but do not want to get into any issues getting back to the ship given the short port time and it's Friday.

Thanks in advance,

Cheryl

Cheryl,

You can hire a taxi or a private driver for a set amount of time and they will wait for you at whatever stops you wish to make and then take you back to the ship when you are ready. You'll pay for a set number of hours for the car and driver. We are doing this when we cruise next week and the Concorde is one of our stops. We chose Cameron Reid http://www.scenicbarbados.com as we'd used his services in the past and were very pleased with our driver, who was very polite and professional. We'd hired a taxi at the cruise terminal in the past also, and it worked out ok, we just had a better experience with Cameron's services. FYI, Cameron quoted us $135 for 4 hrs for the car. My husband thinks that's a bargain; if we find others to go with us, it's still $135 for the 4 hrs. :) Have a great time in Barbados!

Becki

I want to second Becki's recommendation of Cameron Reid. He'll be happy to take you wherever you want to go and/or suggest other wonderful options. Cameron is a knowledgeable & courteous driver. We've been delighted with him and with the places he's shown us for the past two years that we have been in Barbados on a cruise. Barbados is just beautiful! We especially liked the Animal Flower Cave, Crane Beach Resort [we ate lunch there], Bathsheba, and the two beautiful churches we saw--St. James & St. John's. You can't go wrong with Cameron! :) He has an immaculate car, which seats four, and his price is for the use of the car, not per person--$135 + $35 per hour over four hours. As for Bridgetown, I thought the area around the Parliament buildings was worth seeing, and of course, the waterfront that is quite near there. Hope this helps.

GG

Thank you Becki and GG for the excellent suggestion. I believe this is just what we are looking for. I have emailed Cameron via his web site link on Friday the 30th but have not yet heard back. Hopefully he will email back information in the next 2 days. I just wish I hadn't waited so long.

Having visted Barbados as a resident-visitor, I'll be very curious about how different it will be going as a cruise ship tourist. I believe the house I stayed in was in St. John's parish.. Sounds like we should expand the hours if Cameron is available and visit at least one of the churches and some of Bridgetown.

Thanks again!

Archived