What are you reading??

Jewells78

I guess along with the Kindle, ebook thread I got to wondering what people are reading right now.

Whether, you are cruising or not what are you reading or what have you read in the past that is worth while?

Maybe add a short synopsis.:)

I am reading:

Skeletons on the Zahara: A True Story of Survival

Some stories are so enthralling they deserve to be retold generation after generation. The wreck in 1815 of the Connecticut merchant ship, Commerce, and the subsequent ordeal of its crew in the Sahara Desert, is one such story. With Skeletons on the Zahara: A True Story of Survival, nineteenth-century narrative once read and admired by Henry David Thoreau, James Fenimore Cooper, and Abraham Lincoln. King’s version, which actually draws from two separate first person accounts of the Commerce's crew, offers a page-turning blend of science, history, and classic adventure

I loved "City of Thieves" by David Benioff , about 2 young men in St.Petersburg during WWII.

Good preparation for upcoming trip to this city.

Kim

Is it a true story or fiction?

Either way I will check it out.

Thank you.

Playing For Pizza by John Grisham

It is SO not like any other John Grisham book I've ever read.

It's about a NFL 3rd string football player who gets put into a play off game when they are up by 17 points and single handedly causes his team to lose in just a few minutes. It's so bad there are mobs trying to get into the hospital to beat him up, no team will ever hire him again and he ends up playing for a minor league team in Italy. It's written very well and is really funny - city boy in rural Italy and doesn't know the language, customs etc. I'm only 1/3 of the way through but already highly recommend it.

Caught Stealing by Charlie Huston.

It was an Amazon freebie Kindle download. I am enjoying it very much

Good to hear, I have it on my Sony waiting to be read.

I just started reading Stephen King's uncut version of "The Stand". On the side I'm reading "Sense and Sensibility" and "Words in a French Life"

The Plunder Room by John Jeter - "Moments before Edward Duncan dies, the colorful World War II hero leaves a mandate for his grandson Randol to safeguard the family's proud Southern legacy." Easier said than done with this cast of characters!

Very entertaining read.

I read a lot of history. I am am currently in the second book of a three volume Civil war history of the Army of the Potomac. This was a great army of American citizen soldiers which was unfortunately led by a string of terrible political generals. With any competency by the Federal government (Lincoln, his cabinet and the Abolitionist congress) the Civil War could have ended within a year. Of course if the Confederate government had committed to freeing the slaves within five years, that would have given the European powers a reason to back them. In that case the South would have won a draw and peace in 1862. I think it is important to remember that we have a great country and great life in many cases despite our elected leaders

That is a good lesson for us to remember in the afterglow of our latest election. The success of our way of life depends more on the actions of our regular citizens than the actions of our bought and paid for political leaders.

Cruisejunkie-Did you see all 3 of the books in the series are free. I think it is worth the money in reading :)

I did, Sony had the same 9 free books from Random House that were on Amazon. You can't beat free :)

I looked at the 1001 books to read before you die list today, I just spent the last two hours downloading 50 of them...FREE :) Didn't pay for a single one. I LOVE ELECTRONIC READERS :o:o

I've been on a reading frenzy the last couple weeks. Lots of indoor time when you live in the suburbs of Chicago during a FRIGID winter! I just read three good books by Geraldine Brooks. One of them, "March", was a Pulitzer prize winner. I also read "The Namesake" and an oddly titled book, "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society".

I'm looking for some new titles, so will check out some of your selections. Thanks everyone.

Elizabeth

I did, Sony had the same 9 free books from Random House that were on Amazon. You can't beat free :)

I looked at the 1001 books to read before you die list today, I just spent the last two hours downloading 50 of them...FREE :) Didn't pay for a single one. I LOVE ELECTRONIC READERS :o:o

Sounds like a nice birthday gift for my DW..........................Frank:)

Someone here mentioned "The Stand" by Stephen King...one of my all time favorite books. People are at times put off by "Stephen King" because he is classified as horror , but he is a great writer.

"The Dead Zone"is also fantastic.

In a previous reading thread , I professed my love for Jodi Picoult-"My Sister´s Keeper" , "Nineteen Minutes" and "Plain Truth" are my favorites.

I love Pat Conroy´s old books , Prince of Tides , Lords of Discipline.....

I love to read. I am , however , afraid of eletronic reading...enjoy turning pages.

Kim

Someone here mentioned "The Stand" by Stephen King...one of my all time favorite books. People are at times put off by "Stephen King" because he is classified as horror , but he is a great writer.

"The Dead Zone"is also fantastic.

In a previous reading thread , I professed my love for Jodi Picoult-"My Sister´s Keeper" , "Nineteen Minutes" and "Plain Truth" are my favorites.

I love Pat Conroy´s old books , Prince of Tides , Lords of Discipline.....

I love to read. I am , however , afraid of eletronic reading...enjoy turning pages.

Kim

Prince of Tides is on my top 5 books of all times list. He's an amazing writer.

One interesting book I picked up on Solstice was The Long Tail: Why the Future of Business is Selling Less of More by Chris Anderson. It posits that the Internet business model is 1. Sell an abundant range of goods and 2) Make it easy to find.

Archived