to Vasa via Ferry with Stockholm Card

kkollwitz

But a word of warning to people docked at Stadsgården. It looks as if you don’t need to walk all the way to Slussen to take the bus, as the bus continues to a point closer to the dock. But the thing is that there is a steep rock wall between Stadsgården and the point where the bus passes, you have to take it at Slussen, near to where the ferry is.

Isn't that a route option for getting to the bus, where I've put the arrow? It looks like an underpass or something. Assuming, that is, your ship is that far down in the first place. If it is, on Folkungagatan you should be able to pick up bus #53 (direction of Roslagstull) and ride it to Tjärhovsplan, which would be where you'd connect to the #76. And actually, you can get the #71 bus from both the Londonviadukten and Folkungagatan stops to Tjärhovsplan.

Image11.jpg

Alternatively it looks like bus #443 runs along that stretch of road below the wall, between Londonviadukten and Slussen. But with no intermediate stops, so you'd need to trek to the Londonviadukten stop anyhow. If you're any distance away (and by that I mean closer to Slussen), it might be a wash as to the best direction to head.

In all this, I will naturally defer to NB's superior local knowledge over my book (or rather web) learnin'.

Edit: BTW, with respect to the #53 bus......Londonviadukten to Tjärhovsplan is a distance I would probably walk, since it only looks to be a distance of 4-5 blocks. And probably short European type blocks too. The only reason I mention the bus at all (since it's only the one stop from Folkungagatan to Tjärhovsplan) is for those not willing or not able to walk that kind of distance.

Bigwally, I have noticed before that you are a master at finding good information; I don’t know everything I just live here. Your arrow is in the right position. If you follow the arrow backwards you will reach the place where cruise ships are docked at Stadsgården, just outside the picture.

The arrowhead is pointing at Londonviadukten, the underpass you mention. And it is certainly possible to take the bus 76 from Tjärhovsplan, but in my mind it is such a short walk that I would not bother with a bus to get there. This of course only applies to people who are reasonably comfortable with walking, there is an upwards slope to get from Londonviadukten to Tjärhovsplan. I have not checked the bus numbers you mention, I trust you can Google them just as well as I can.

There are a lot of buses that one can take from Londonviadukten to Slussen, try any number and ask the driver

Should you decide you want to get up to Tjärhovsplan I have a suggestion. Instead of walking Folkungagatan all the way up, turn right into Erstagatan and then left at Fjällgatan. This is a really nice street. Well kept old houses on one side and a great view of Stockholm from above on the other. At the end of Fjällgatan there is a short flight of stairs to take you down to Renstiernasgatan, the bus stop is to your left. This will take you a little longer but in my mind it is very well worth it. Fjällgatan is something special.

If you follow the arrow backwards you will reach the place where cruise ships are docked at Stadsgården, just outside the picture.

Ah, so that's generally the cruise ship area....where you can just make out the stern of the ship in the map picture?

And the whole uphill thing on Folkungagatan....that is why your local knowledge is so much more relevant than what I could ever hope to learn via Google. :)

Yes that is the cruise ship area.

And I should perhaps explain that by uphill I don't mean a steap climb, it is just a gentle slope. I walk it often myself because this island, south of Gamla Stan, is in my mind the best part of Stockholm.

Well, I guess I think so because this is where I live :rolleyes:.

Be aware that on buses in Stockholm you can’t pay the driver. You need a Stockholm card or a prepaid bus ticket. Last summer tickets could be bought at the information where you get off the ship.

Dear North Bound:

Here's our plan: get to Vasa in a taxi, then take ferry from Vasa to Gamla Stan, and from there take bus 76 back to Stadsgarden or Frihamnen (depending on where the ship docks). Since we are only riding once in a bus I think it would not make sense to buy the 24 hr. travel card; we would need only 1 bus ticket. Where could we get those?

Dear North Bound:

Here's our plan: get to Vasa in a taxi, then take ferry from Vasa to Gamla Stan, and from there take bus 76 back to Stadsgarden or Frihamnen (depending on where the ship docks). Since we are only riding once in a bus I think it would not make sense to buy the 24 hr. travel card; we would need only 1 bus ticket. Where could we get those?

Hello North-Bound:

We will be in Stockholm May 20th. We would like to follow the same plan as mentioned above, but, it is my understanding that the ferry does not run daily until June 1st?? How could we accomplish this same itinerary...we are docking at Frihamnen (so I understand).

Please advise.

Thanks

Chiksi and Gilew,

First I want to say that I think you have a very good plan for what to do, both with the taxi and the ferry.

Going back to the ship on bus 76 is also a good idea, but only if you are docked at Frihamnen. To get from Gamla Stan to Stadsgården is not far, if you like to walk it is possible to do so. Or there are several buses that leave from Slussen and go past the ship. But they are not easy to find, they start from a level under Slussen. You will probably have to ask for help to get there.

To get a ticket for the bus ride there are ticket machines at some bus stops. I know there is one at Frihamnen because I went there to check. But I don’t know about the stops in Gamla Stan. To get a ticket from a machine is only possible with Swedish coins, not bills.

But tickets are also sold by some service stores, typically 7-Eleven and Pressbyrån. I found some in Gamla Stan: Pressbyrån at Gamla Stan Metro Station and Pressbyrån, Västerlånggatan 19 (the shopping street in Gamla Stan); Ring Tobak, Stora Nygatan 19.

The regular ferry from Djurgården to Slussen runs all year round. A one way ticket costs 30 kronor (20 kronor for children and if you are older than 65). The ferry that only started to run in June was a temporary tourist ferry from Djurgården to Nybroplan.

Chiksi and Gilew,

First I want to say that I think you have a very good plan for what to do, both with the taxi and the ferry.

Going back to the ship on bus 76 is also a good idea, but only if you are docked at Frihamnen. To get from Gamla Stan to Stadsgården is not far, if you like to walk it is possible to do so. Or there are several buses that leave from Slussen and go past the ship. But they are not easy to find, they start from a level under Slussen. You will probably have to ask for help to get there.

To get a ticket for the bus ride there are ticket machines at some bus stops. I know there is one at Frihamnen because I went there to check. But I don’t know about the stops in Gamla Stan. To get a ticket from a machine is only possible with Swedish coins, not bills.

But tickets are also sold by some service stores, typically 7-Eleven and Pressbyrån. I found some in Gamla Stan: Pressbyrån at Gamla Stan Metro Station and Pressbyrån, Västerlånggatan 19 (the shopping street in Gamla Stan); Ring Tobak, Stora Nygatan 19.

The regular ferry from Djurgården to Slussen runs all year round. A one way ticket costs 30 kronor (20 kronor for children and if you are older than 65). The ferry that only started to run in June was a temporary tourist ferry from Djurgården to Nybroplan.

Thank you North-Bound for all your help!!:)

• 3 weeks later...

According to the information at http://www.stockholmshamn.se/intrane...rm&language=en we will be docked at Stadsgården on May 20 from 8:00AM to 5:00PM. We are planning to see the Vasa Museum, to tour Gamla Stan and anything else that we have time for. It looks like the Hop on-Hop off boat(ferry?) is the direct way to get from the ship to the Vasa Museum, from the Vasa Museum to Gamla Stan and from Gamla Stan back to the ship.

What are your thoughts on the best way of getting to all these places?

If the HoHo boat is the best,

• When does the boat start running?
  • How often does the boat run?
  • Can you provide a link to a time table in English for the boat?
  • How much does it cost?
  • Is there a transport card that covers all transport for 24 hours?
  • Would a transport card be cheaper than the fares for two adults to go from Stadsgården to the Vasa Museum, the Vasa Museum to Gamla Stan, from Gamla Stan back to Stadsgården?
    --------------------------------------
  • Would a Stockholm card be a better choice than a transport card?
  • Does the Vasa Museum take charge cards for the entry fee?
  • Is the Vasa Museum restaurant a good place for lunch?
  • We like fish. Do you have any other suggestions for a lunch place?
  • Do they take charge cards?
  • If we wanted to walk from the Vasa Museum to Gamla Stan and then over to the port Stadsgården, how far would that be?
  • Are there pedestrian ways that make that walk possible?

Thank you for any of this information that you can provide,

Steve and Avra

Those are great questions fun_seeker. That is our plan too.

I have one further question. Where might we find a store that sells Hasselblad cameras? My husband would love to stop by a camera store just to see one.

According to the information at http://www.stockholmshamn.se/intrane...rm&language=en we will be docked at Stadsgården on May 20 from 8:00AM to 5:00PM. We are planning to see the Vasa Museum, to tour Gamla Stan and anything else that we have time for. It looks like the Hop on-Hop off boat(ferry?) is the direct way to get from the ship to the Vasa Museum, from the Vasa Museum to Gamla Stan and from Gamla Stan back to the ship.

• When does the boat start running?
  • Can you provide a link to a time table in English for the boat?
  • How much does it cost?
  • Is there a transport card that covers all transport for 24 hours?
  • Would a transport card be cheaper than the fares for two adults to go from Stadsgården to the Vasa Museum, the Vasa Museum to Gamla Stan, from Gamla Stan back to Stadsgården?
  • Does the Vasa Museum take charge cards for the entry fee?
  • We like fish. Do you have any other suggestions for a lunch place?
  • If we wanted to walk from the Vasa Museum to Gamla Stan and then over to the port Stadsgården, how far would that be?

Steve and Avra

Hi Steve and Avra:

Below is the port information I received from Ship Services in January...but, I understand the port can change at the last moment. I guess it would be recommended to contact Ship Services again??? It might not be a bad idea to have transportation information about both ports.

Barb

The pier information I have for Stockholm is:

City

Pier Name

Pier Address

Stockholm

Frihamnen (F638)

Stockholm Cruise Center

Frihamnen

Hi Steve and Avra:

Below is the port information I received from Ship Services in January...but, I understand the port can change at the last moment. I guess it would be recommended to contact Ship Services again??? It might not be a bad idea to have transportation information about both ports.

Barb

The pier information I have for Stockholm is:

City

Pier Name

Pier Address

Stockholm

Frihamnen (F638)

Stockholm Cruise Center

Frihamnen

Hi Barb,

We agree that the berths may change even during the trip, based on weather conditions and that it is a good idea to have transportation information to account for the vagaries of chance.

We are not too sure about the reliability of the information that Ship Services gives out. One example we encountered regarded the wash and dry laundry service. We were quoted $16, $20 and $18 per bag on different calls to Ships Services. That is why we used the port's website.

The information on the port's website stated that the Eurodam would be at berth S167 STADSGÅRDEN. In the event of inclement weather, the ship may even have to make port in some place that is 60km from Stockholm, but I forget the name of the port. Perhaps north-bound can provide transport information from there also, if our questions haven't driven him to distraction.:eek:

Steve

Well a lot of questions it is but I will see what I can do. Just had too much work for the last four days, only been home to sleep.

We are planning to see the Vasa Museum, to tour Gamla Stan and anything else that we have time for. It looks like the Hop on-Hop off boat(ferry?) is the direct way to get from the ship to the Vasa Museum, from the Vasa Museum to Gamla Stan and from Gamla Stan back to the ship.

It is difficult for me to know what really is the best way, I have never tried the boat. One thing is about the weather, if there is rain i would certainly prefer something other than the boat. But on a warm and sunny day it can be very nice to be on the water.

• When does the boat start running? May 31
  • Can you provide a link to a time table in English for the boat? Here is a link, it will give you the information you need about this option: http://www.stromma.se/en/Sightseeing/Stockholm/Boat-tours/Hop-on-Hop-off/
  • How much does it cost?
  • Is there a transport card that covers all transport for 24 hours? No the transport card will not cover any HoHo boat or bus. There is a 24 hour transport card but only for regular public transport.
  • Would a transport card be cheaper than the fares for two adults to go from Stadsgården to the Vasa Museum, the Vasa Museum to Gamla Stan, from Gamla Stan back to Stadsgården? Usually a transport card or a Stockhlm card that includes the museums is not cheaper. The cards are personal, so you need one per person. You will have to do a lot of things to make it pay. But it can still be convenient to have it, and not have to pay everywhere. On the public buses you can not pay the driver, you need a ticket before you get on. I think they will sell tickets at the tourist info at Stadsgården and at Frihamnen.

• --------------------------------------
  • Does the Vasa Museum take charge cards for the entry fee? Yes, they take cards, as most museums do.
  • We like fish. Do you have any other suggestions for a lunch place? Sorry, never eaten there.
  • If we wanted to walk from the Vasa Museum to Gamla Stan and then over to the port Stadsgården, how far would that be? The distance from the museum to the Royal Palace in the old town is 2,5 km. It is easy to walk everywhere in Stockholm.

Steve and Avra

Hope this covers most of the questions. If not come back again.

I can see straight away that I didn’t cover everything. First the place I have never been was the Vasa Museum restaurant. A good alternative if you like fish would in my mind be Östermalmshallen food market. It may be a little bit out of your way, but it is an interesting place, very lively most of the time. If you decide to go there, find where they sell fish and there are small places where you can sit down and get really fresh fish. You can see on the map I put together where it is. Not far away at all if you are walking from the museum towards Gamla Stan. I would be very surprised if they don’t take cards there. To see where Östermalmshallen is, here is the link to my map:

A good idea, if you are not taking the HoHo boat to get around, is to take the regular ferry from Djurgården, the area where the Vasa Museum is, over to Gamla Stan. It takes 10 minutes and costs 30 kronor per person.

To get from Slussen, at the south end of Gamla Stan, to where your ship is docked at Stadsgården is estimated to be 2 km, and there is no problem walking there.

The port you are talking about must be Nynäshamn. Princess used to have all their cruises dock there instead of Stockholm. I used to feel so sorry for everyone on Princess having to spend so much time just to transport all the way to the city. And also they missed going though the Stockholm archipelago when coming and going. Last summer it happened that they docked there once, the only other cruise line did this was P&O as far as I know. If that would happen the option is either ships transport or the commuter train that takes one hour. But I would not worry very much about something like that happening to you.

Those are great questions fun_seeker. That is our plan too.

I have one further question. Where might we find a store that sells Hasselblad cameras? My husband would love to stop by a camera store just to see one.

I have tried to Google where Hasselblad cameras can be bought but with no success. They don't list any retailers. And when I look at some places that sell cameras they don't mention Hasselblad.

But maybe you can contact Hasselblad directly and get an answer from them?

This thread has been very useful in planning my day in Stockholm for our cruise stop this coming July. I have a few more questions:

1. I am not clear about the zone system on the bus and metro in the city. Do I need a single zone ticket or multi-zone ticket to go from Slussen to the Vasa, or from Frihamnen to Gamla Stan, or from Slussen to Millesgarden? Do these tickets cost different amounts when bought at a vending machine or at a ticket booth? The official bus web site is quite confusing.

2. Is it true that a 24-hour ticket for unlimited bus and metro rides is 100 SEK? Where can this ticket be bought? Is it available at the cruise terminals at Stadsgarden or Frihamnen?

3. I have found a map of the bus system at http://sl.se/ficktid/karta%2Fvinter/vCity_karta.pdf

but is there a similar map of the metro also?

Thanks very much!

This thread has been very useful in planning my day in Stockholm for our cruise stop this coming July. I have a few more questions:

1. I am not clear about the zone system on the bus and metro in the city. Do I need a single zone ticket or multi-zone ticket to go from Slussen to the Vasa, or from Frihamnen to Gamla Stan, or from Slussen to Millesgarden? Do these tickets cost different amounts when bought at a vending machine or at a ticket booth? The official bus web site is quite confusing.

2. Is it true that a 24-hour ticket for unlimited bus and metro rides is 100 SEK? Where can this ticket be bought? Is it available at the cruise terminals at Stadsgarden or Frihamnen?

3. I have found a map of the bus system at http://sl.se/ficktid/karta%2Fvinter/vCity_karta.pdf

but is there a similar map of the metro also?

1. Zone "A" cost two "units", zone "B" three and zone "C" four. The whole subway system belongs to zone A. All stops you mention belongs to zone A. Yes this zone/unit system a bit confusing so I always prefer a 24 h card myself when visiting Stockholm!

2. 100 kr is correct. Should be available in news stands (Pressbyrån) and at manned subway entrances. Here is a full list of selling points (in swedish). See under "Ombud".

http://sl.se/templates/Page.aspx?id=50

http://sl.se/ficktid/karta%2Fvinter/vTub%5Fkarta.pdf

Upr123, there is no need to worry about the zone system. All the places you are interested in are within the same zone.

A ticket that is valid for one hour costs 30 kronor. It can be bought through a ticket machine or when entering the Metro, but it is not possible to pay on a bus, you have to have your ticket when boarding. The problem with buying tickets from a machine is that you need coins or a credit card that is tied to a Swedish bank account. And few cruise passengers have any coins when they leave the ship in the morning.

I talked several times to the Stockholm transport company and to our tourist office about this problem for cruise passengers who want to use public transport, and I think in the end they did sell 24 hour tickets at the little stores at the Stadsgården and Frihamnen ports. I do hope they will do so this summer too. They also sold coupon slips with which cover 8 tickets and can be used by more than one person (unlike the 24 hour card that is personal). This slip costs 180 kronor.

One advantage with the 24 hour ticket is that it can be used for unlimited travel and it does include the regular ferry between Slussen in Gamla Stan and Djurgården where the Vasa Museum and Skansen outdoor museum are located. A coupon slip can not be used for the ferry.

Banditoo, see the above post for info on buying a 24 hour ticket. But there is no ferry directly from any of the ports where you could be docked. From Stadsgården port you would have to get to Slussen before you can catch a ferry. And if you are docked at Frihamnen or Värtahamnen the best way to get to the Vasa Museum is by bus or taxi.

Here is a link to a map I put together so that you can see where the different ports are located in relation to the most popular sights.

http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100446628536787947860.000448dadb8bebb56f079&t=h&z=12

Banditoo, see the above post for info on buying a 24 hour ticket. But there is no ferry directly from any of the ports where you could be docked. From Stadsgården port you would have to get to Slussen before you can catch a ferry. And if you are docked at Frihamnen or Värtahamnen the best way to get to the Vasa Museum is by bus or taxi.

Here is a link to a map I put together so that you can see where the different ports are located in relation to the most popular sights.

http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100446628536787947860.000448dadb8bebb56f079&t=h&z=12

We are supposed to be docking at Stadsgården so it seems we should walk to Slussen from the port, then buy the ticket at Slussen (? day transit for 100 KRON) then take the ferry to Vasa and from there the ferry or bus over to Gamla Stan. We'll probably walk back to the port from Gamla Stan at the end of our day. We may not even need the day pass as if we are just taking tranport to Vasa and back?

Banditoo, if you will be docked at Stadsgården and the only public transport you plan to use is the ferry from Slussen to Djurgården, and then the ferry back again, there is no need at all to buy the 24 hour transit pass. The ferry costs 30 kronor per person each way, so 60 kronor per person is less than 100 for the transit card. You buy the ferry ticket before boarding the ferry.

Expect the walk from where your ship will be docked to Slussen to take something like 25–35 minutes, depending on how fast you walk.

Thanks again Northbound! I think we will forego the day transit pass and just pay for the ferry both ways. Even if we decide to bus back to the ship at the end of the day it should only cost an extra 30 which would still be less than the day pass. We do love walking and have seen and experienced some of our best sites and adventures while walking. A half hour walk seems very little to us.

Archived