Snorkeling Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize?

YYJValerie

We will be sailing on Carnival Glory beginning Feb. 21 with stops in Cozumel, Costa Maya and Belize. We have never been to any of these places. We are avid snorkelers - my husband is quite adept at free diving as well - I prefer the surface & the occasional shallow dip down. What are the best snorkeling spots at each of these? Is any one of them better than the other for snorkeling? Are there any guides anyone can recommend? We usually find the ship excursions to be over crowded and full of novice snorkelers. Thanks!

We will be sailing on Carnival Glory beginning Feb. 21 with stops in Cozumel, Costa Maya and Belize. We have never been to any of these places. We are avid snorkelers - my husband is quite adept at free diving as well - I prefer the surface & the occasional shallow dip down. What are the best snorkeling spots at each of these? Is any one of them better than the other for snorkeling? Are there any guides anyone can recommend? We usually find the ship excursions to be over crowded and full of novice snorkelers. Thanks!

Cozumel is first rate boat snorkeling. Hurricane Rita tore up the near shore reefs, but the outer were nearly untouched.

There are a number of good independent operators. I'm most familiar with Egale Ray, been with them three times.

They take a mix of divers and snorkelers with spearate guides for each. Be sure to book the full day trup. The shorter tours go only to the near shore reefs.

http://www.eagleraydivers.com/

Blue Ha in Costa Maya offer both snorkel and dive trips. I don't lnow if they combine.

http://www.dreamtimediving.com/home_2/Dive%20Trips.html

The snorkeling was just ok, but there's not much else do do. :D

Snorkeling at Belize was excellent. I took one of the ship's snorkel trips for convenience.

It's a tender port and the snorkel boat picked up at the ship's tender door.

As per usual for a ship sponsored tour, the boat was crowded, but it was fine once at the island and in the water.

Majahual is the closest town to the pier in Costa Maya. 40 miles away is Xcalak, see some of the photos posted by one of the dive masters from that town. Leave a message for Steve on that thread and he can tell you if the snorkeling is as good as the diving.

Cozumel is excellent for diving and snorkeling. You can snorkel from the shore at Dzul Ha or Chankanaab. Plenty of boats to choose from for snorkel/party tours. We liked the Fury and Tucan.

Archived