*gulp* Passport Question

JEDIKNIGHT

Well this is fun. While I think I'll find it eventually, as of now I can't find my passport. Here's the fun part: I'm a Naturalized U.S Citizen.

So I've got my driver's license, voter registration card, all sorts of proof of residence...just no US birth certificate and can't find Naturalization certificate.

I do have many clear Xerox copies of my US passport though.

Anyone think this will get me a replacement passport?

Worst case let's say I can't get one in time for cruise. Am I totally unable to go...OR can I go, but just stay on the boat the whole time, never get off on shore?

Do you have a Xerox of your passport? Do you know your passport number? Go to post office and ask the rules or check online. Xerox birth certificate probably will not work. Can't you get a real replacement birth certificate?

You need the naturalization certificate. You don't get a new birth certificate. Since you already have the information on file you may luck out. What you need to do is see you local US congress person. They have access to reps at the Passport office that may be of help. You will have to pay for a new passport.....

going to the Post office is a waste of time. I am fairly certain that a lost passport generally requires the same proof as an original and the Post Office people are just trained to do it by the book....

ps the rule on getting on the ship requires you have the paperwork to get back into the US as well as the paperwork to get off at every port whether you get off the ship or not. For naturalized US citizens the requirement to prove citizenship in the US is either the naturalized US papers or a US passport. so no papers no boarding period.

Depending on the latest rules and where you are sailing you may not need a passport. Check the NCL website or call them.

Also, check in your area for an express passport office. I know in NYC there is (or at least used to be) an office where you could get an expedited passport in one day. It probably involves long lines and a premium price but may be worth it if your trip is soon.

Good luck and keep looking! Hopefully you'll find it. Check with any papers from the last time you traveled.

" 3. – Present Proof of U.S. Citizenship. You may prove U.S. citizenship with any one of the following:

Previous U.S. Passport (mutilated/altered/damaged passports are not acceptable as evidence of U.S. citizenship.)

Certified birth certificate issued by the city, county or state

A certified birth certificate has a registrar's raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal, registrar’s signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar's office, which must be within 1 year of your birth

Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth

Naturalization Certificate or Certificate of Citizenship

A Delayed Birth Certificate filed more than 1 year after your birth may be acceptable if it: Listed the documentation used to create it and: was signed by the attending physician/midwife, or lists an affidavit signed by the parents, or shows early public records."

so you need the US naturalization certificate. The others are for US citizens at birth which you aren't. As I said the only way around this is through you congress persons office.

Depending on the latest rules and where you are sailing you may not need a passport. Check the NCL website or call them.

That is true if you were born in the US and have your birth certificate. The OP wasn't, so he needs either his passport or his naturalization papers.

OP: You need to get this straightened out or you won't be allowed to board the ship.

Good luck.

CG

There are expedited passport offices in DC (closest since you are in N. Virginia) and in New Orleans (just in case you are taking the NCL Spirit from there). You may want to call them and set up an appointment, and check on the forms that you need to bring. Hopefully a photo copy of the passport and your drivers licence and appearing in person may suffice.

Good luck, and I hope you make the cruise.

There are expedited passport offices in DC (closest since you are in N. Virginia) and in New Orleans (just in case you are taking the NCL Spirit from there). You may want to call them and set up an appointment, and check on the forms that you need to bring. Hopefully a photo copy of the passport and your drivers licence and appearing in person may suffice.

Good luck, and I hope you make the cruise.

no they want the original documents. that is what the dsp11 requires. You can get a duplicate certificate of citizenship from the naturalization(what used to be called INS) but I have no idea how long that will take. To get an expedited appointment your travel has to be within two weeks. You can also get the congress person to schedule that too....

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=a910cac09aa5d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

$380 to replace a lost nationalization cert!

Jedi-Well....worst case, no you won't get on the ship. Cannot offer to just stay onboard.

You do need to find either the original naturalization certificate or the passport. To file a lost passport claim and get a new one, you are going to need that naturalization certificate. To replace a lost NC is very expensive. Around $350 and you only get to do it ONCE.

Not sure when your cruise is and how much time you have, but start looking everywhere. Open all luggage compartments: zippers, sections and hidey holes. Remove all drawers from your dressers and cabinets and make sure it/they did not fall down behind. Completely go through any file cabinet contents page by page, removing all folders and hanging files. Good luck!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I found it!

From now on I'm gonna listen to DW and just leave the darn thing alone in a very secure place.

I am so glad you found it Jedi... I enjoy your postings and was nervous for you having trouble being able to sail. Now all is good.. 8-)

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I found it!

From now on I'm gonna listen to DW and just leave the darn thing alone in a very secure place.

Where was that little bugger? I usually put ours somewhere "safe", then forget where the safe place is!:o

My passport once fell down behind a row of books in a bookcase. That one took awhile to resurface, and when it did, I had already replaced it.

Did you find it in one of the places suggested?

Bruno and Fin....

I found it in my office.

Bottom line: I'm disorganized. Papers, messy home, etc. I had lost my driver's license some time ago and during that period of time, used my passport as 'ID' at banks or whatever. This is about a year ago. Since then we had a baby, haven't even thought about travel so I never needed the passport so never thought about it.

It was on my desk in my office at work, buried under a mess of stuff.

DW has been really neat about not saying "see I told you, you should've kept it in a safer place"....but I sense it in the air. Before we sleep tonight I"m gonna hear it. And I'm going to look down, be apologetic, and not say a darn thing because I know my place.

When you've done wrong, you've done wrong. Even if crow isn't your favorite flavor, gotta eat it. ;)

Also back then, things are going well for me business-wise. Since then it's gotten very TOUGH and I've hardly sat in my own office for a few hours. It's "roll up the sleeves" and work every part of the business hands-on time now. So my personal office has been nothing but a place to wolf down pizza. I've let it become very messy on my desk.

I went thru every corner of my office, and then, under all sorts of stuff on my desk,

Archived