Captain Marvin's cancelling Stingray City??

mcgraiha

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen.....we were in Grand Cayman last week on 1/26/2009 and had booked Stingray City/Snorkeling/Hell/Turtle Farm with Captain Marvin's. When we got there, they informed us the water parts were cancelled due to rough seas. I had read on these boards that that happens sometimes so although I was disappointed, I understood. Other tour guides at the port still tried to sell us tours to Stingray City and said that Capt. Marvin's probably wasn't going out because it was a holiday (National Heroes Day). We didn't book with anyone else because of the great reviews we read here and did not trust random operators who were very pushy for business. However, when we got back on ship, we learned that the ship's excursions had done Stingray City and many people had gone. Would it be normal for the ship sponsored excursion to go out with so many people if it was that rough or closed??

We have been out there in very marginal waters and it really wasn't as much fun as it could have been. Not having seen the waters on your day there isn't really a way to pass judgement - but I certainly hope it was really too choppy to be really safe.

we could definitely see that the waves were very high on one side of the island. not sure if that is the same side where they do the excursion. definitely better safe than sorry, i was just disappointed after learning others went. however, i try to avoid the cruise ship excursions anyway so had i gone w/ them, it probably wouldn't have been as much fun! guess i'll just have to go back to grand cayman again!

• 3 weeks later...

We were told that for the last 10 days prior to our visit to SC that there had either few or no operators out to there due to the rough seas brought about by abnormal prevailing winds. Luckily we made it and did the discover scuba. Its not rough on the bottom!:D We went with Ambassador Divers and they were great.

we were their a few years ago, the grand cayman gov is supposed to put up warnings to stop people from doing stingray tour if the water is choppy. I went out with moby dick tours and the water was bad. Still alot of boats trying to do the tour. moby dicks said it just isn't safe took as back into port gave our money back very professional. the cruise ship did go out and have pictures. It was dangerous out there and no one should have been at the sandbar.

I find this thread interesting as the one time we went with Captain Marvin's we had a fantastic day - the only issue was that before sting ray city we snorkeled at a reef called the Aquarium as they said their normal snorkeling stop by the barrier wall had rough water. But stingray city was fine. When we got back to the ship we heard that all the ship's tours had been cancelled due to poor conditions.

So on our trip back in '04 the opposite of the discussion above was the case.

Archived