Anyone Here Have Any Success Going to CURVES?

teacher2cruiser

I've just begun, and I'd love to hear a success story. :)

i had a short stint at curves before moving a few years ago. i did notice improvement BUT i also did everything ALL OUT for each machine on the circut. if you do that, should be happy with the results!

I did it for a few mionths about 4 years ago and got bilateral tennis elbow for my efforts. At the time I heard of several users who had similar problems They denied any responsibility but cancelled my membership. Their machines are heavy on the arm movements as I recall.....never had this problem before or since although it took at least a year to recover. Ironically the treatment that worked best for me was to lift heavier weights, ie 8-10 lbs.....

Mo

I found it was a good way to ease back into the exercise habit after I'd been derailed with several abdominal surgeries. I got a lot of good tips and advice from them, but it was more the owners commitment to health that created that bond, rather than the Curves experience. I relocated to a new state and found the staff so below my expectations I ended up signing up for a full service gym and eating the last two months of my membership.

But as I initially wrote, the good that came out of it was developing the habit of exercising.

Yes, I have lost 30 pounds since August. Tell a trainer to watch you & make sure that you are doing everything correctly. If you do, you shouldn't get hurt. On the Curves website there is an instructional video. I think that people don't have good results when: They feel that they know everything & "do it their own way", don't give it their all, or continue to eat large amounts of unhealthy foods. Belonging to a gym doesn't guarantee sucess-doing the exercises & eating right will. My friend Michele lost 60lbs. by working out hard at Curves, stopping eating after dinner & giving up junk food. Good luck!

uote=BSQ;17987735]I found it was a good way to ease back into the exercise habit after I'd been derailed with several abdominal surgeries. I got a lot of good tips and advice from them, but it was more the owners commitment to health that created that bond, rather than the Curves experience. I relocated to a new state and found the staff so below my expectations I ended up signing up for a full service gym and eating the last two months of my membership.

But as I initially wrote, the good that came out of it was developing the habit of exercising.

I have been a member of curves for 6 years. I find it does help as long as you watch what you eat. Now that i am down to what i want to weigh i also find that i have to do more. I run in the summer i own a treadmill and i do ball work. Curves is a great start but i do believe that you need something to go with it.

I have been a member of curves for 6 years. I find it does help as long as you watch what you eat. Now that i am down to what i want to weigh i also find that i have to do more. I run in the summer i own a treadmill and i do ball work. Curves is a great start but i do believe that you need something to go with it.

Absolutely, with any exercise it always helps to do another type on alternate days.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried curves for a little while and was completely bored. I hated it. However, my sister loved it so I guess it just depends on the person. I'm gonna try the YMCA. I love being in the water so It may be a better fit for me.

Yes, I have lost 30 pounds since August. Tell a trainer to watch you & make sure that you are doing everything correctly. If you do, you shouldn't get hurt. On the Curves website there is an instructional video. I think that people don't have good results when: They feel that they know everything & "do it their own way", don't give it their all, or continue to eat large amounts of unhealthy foods. Belonging to a gym doesn't guarantee sucess-doing the exercises & eating right will. My friend Michele lost 60lbs. by working out hard at Curves, stopping eating after dinner & giving up junk food. Good luck!

Like bonniltc, I have also lost 30 lbs since I started Curves back in February 2007. Most of that weight I lost while on the Curves Plan (High Protein). Then I took a long break of losing weight as life got in the way, but I maintained for the most part & only gained holiday weight. Since the 1st of the year, I am on the 2nd part of my weight loss journey, but this time I am doing WW online, which has been a lot easier to track. Looking forward to my weigh in tomorrow morning as I am now weighing the least I weighed in years. I am wanting to lose around 20 lbs more. Pretty soon, I will need to go buy new clothes as everything is getting loose on me.

• 4 weeks later...

I currently work out at Curves..a good friends example sold me when I watched her loose 23 inches and 19 pounds in less than a year..

I use the Curves Smart program and love it..I'm burning 370 calories per workout on average..I hope to burn per work out more soon as I gain some shrength.

I'm averaging 4-5 workouts a week and have cut out all the soda's and sweets..I eat more salads and less carbs..I hope to see results soon..because I have a date with the beach..:)

I believe I am a Curves success story. I started after having no real exercise experience. I lost over 25 pounds and more than 16 inches. However, I did not do the recommended 30 minutes 3 times per week. I basically tried for 5 days a week and did an hour or more on average. After awhile I decided to up my game and I started at a new gym with elyptical machines, classes and personal trainers. I enjoy this more. Even though the weight isn't flying off (I believe because I am where I should be now....) my body is becoming nice and toned. So basically, yes, Curves works....if you work it.

I've been a member of Curves for almost 3 years. At the beginning I didn't lose any weight because for me it's mostly about what I eat. I have been walking 3 miles a day for the past 15 years but your body just expects that if you've done it for years and then you are punished with a weight gain if you don't do it. So, I added 6 times a week at Curves for 45 minutes. Then I followed Weight Watchers and lost 30 lbs. in a year. I love Curves because of the people where I go. They are warm and supportive. We talk and it makes the workout go quickly. For awhile the manager ran a "power" workout one night a week after closing where we did each machine for 60 seconds and then did strenuous aerobics for 60 seconds between each machine. We did this for an hour and it really boasted my weight loss. Unfortunately they stopped doing that but we are working on getting it back.

The truth is you can make it "hard" or whimpy. You get out of it what you give to it.

Marianne

I have been a member of Curves since September of 2007. After joining I lost inches and a few pounds without changing my eating habits. After about six months I starting gaining back what I had lost as I kept snacking and eating larger portions. On January 4th of 2009 I started watching calories and going to Curves five days a week. Weight was coming off very slowly. I mentioned this to the manager and she said they were having a weight loss management class. I started this about the end of January and have now lost 21 lbs since Jan 4th. Besides doing Curves I walk 3 miles a day, six days a week. The weight is coming off 1-2 lbs a week and I am staying full. I eat five times a day even when I am not hungry. Of course the meals aren't the type of meals I used to eat. I don't prohibit myself anything other than diet drinks and diet food. I am now using Splenda in coffee and drinks. Drink lots of water, and keeping the cost of tea from eating out in the bank for my new wardrobe.

Portion size is really a key along with the exercise daily. I have worked out with free weights for three years in a gym. I find that the Curves program will work out your muscle groups, but you do need to work the machines properly. I don't think my weight loss would be as great if I only worked out at Curves. The walking definitely has helped the weight loss too.

One of the "Biggest Loser contestants" said the biggest problem with weight is the 90 % of food that you put in your mouth. Portion control is so important. I have stopped counting calories now. I just look at size of things and know it is to much. I lost 40 lbs on Nutri System. I was scared to death when I got to my goal. I didn't know what to buy from the grocery store to cook. With the Curves program you can eat out as well as doing it at home. The key is to plan a menu ahead of time. for the meals.

I'm actually a former Curves member and I'll be going back beginning next week. I only stopped going because I was traveling a LOT for work.

During my inital membership, I followed Curves eating plan (low carb) and worked out at Curves 3 days per week. During my Curves "off" days, I used a "Walk Away the Pound" DVD for light cardio.

I went from a size 16 to a size 10-12 in a very short time. The key is doing something active every day. The Curves workout takes care of your muscles but some cardio in between helps a lot too.

I can't wait to see what's new when I get there today!

For those interested, most locations are running a special where they will waive the initiation fee if you donate a bag of groceries for the local food bank!

I'm actually a former Curves member and I'll be going back beginning next week. I only stopped going because I was traveling a LOT for work.

During my inital membership, I followed Curves eating plan (low carb) and worked out at Curves 3 days per week. During my Curves "off" days, I used a "Walk Away the Pound" DVD for light cardio.

I went from a size 16 to a size 10-12 in a very short time. The key is doing something active every day. The Curves workout takes care of your muscles but some cardio in between helps a lot too.

I can't wait to see what's new when I get there today!

For those interested, most locations are running a special where they will waive the initiation fee if you donate a bag of groceries for the local food bank!

Great information about the initiation fee!!! They need to hurry though, I think that only lasts for the month of March. If they miss this one they should check on line, Curves runs different specials during the year.

Hope you had a great work out. :p I will be threre this afternoon, 29 days until I cruise so I need to stay focused.

• 3 weeks later...
I have been a member of Curves since September of 2007. After joining I lost inches and a few pounds without changing my eating habits. After about six months I starting gaining back what I had lost as I kept snacking and eating larger portions. On January 4th of 2009 I started watching calories and going to Curves five days a week. Weight was coming off very slowly. I mentioned this to the manager and she said they were having a weight loss management class. I started this about the end of January and have now lost 21 lbs since Jan 4th. Besides doing Curves I walk 3 miles a day, six days a week. The weight is coming off 1-2 lbs a week and I am staying full. I eat five times a day even when I am not hungry. Of course the meals aren't the type of meals I used to eat. I don't prohibit myself anything other than diet drinks and diet food. I am now using Splenda in coffee and drinks. Drink lots of water, and keeping the cost of tea from eating out in the bank for my new wardrobe.

Portion size is really a key along with the exercise daily. I have worked out with free weights for three years in a gym. I find that the Curves program will work out your muscle groups, but you do need to work the machines properly. I don't think my weight loss would be as great if I only worked out at Curves. The walking definitely has helped the weight loss too.

One of the "Biggest Loser contestants" said the biggest problem with weight is the 90 % of food that you put in your mouth. Portion control is so important. I have stopped counting calories now. I just look at size of things and know it is to much. I lost 40 lbs on Nutri System. I was scared to death when I got to my goal. I didn't know what to buy from the grocery store to cook. With the Curves program you can eat out as well as doing it at home. The key is to plan a menu ahead of time. for the meals.

Thanks..I agree it's about what goes in my mouth and how much of it..

I like the Smart Curves machine..I visited a Curves when on vacation and it wasn't the smart program and to me it didn't have the resistance my home Curves had..

My goal is to push myself to do Pilates machine twice a week also..

I would like to shed another 20lbs..sure wish it is possible by Memorial day..:eek:

Thanks..I agree it's about what goes in my mouth and how much of it..

I like the Smart Curves machine..I visited a Curves when on vacation and it wasn't the smart program and to me it didn't have the resistance my home Curves had..

My goal is to push myself to do Pilates machine twice a week also..

I would like to shed another 20lbs..sure wish it is possible by Memorial day..:eek:

The club that I was going to used the Smart Curves program. I was on a travel pass so I wasn't part of that program. I just figured that if I was sweating at the end of the workout I had to have my heart rate up.

Just had a doctors appointment on Tuesday of this week. I am 56 years old and she asked me if I have been doing cardio as my heat beat was excellent. I have hit a plateau at 23 lbs, not putting any on, but not losing either. We have a cruise planned in two weeks so I will watch what I eat and then get back on level one of the weight management when I get home. Good luck with losing another 20 lbs before Memorial Day. I would have to sew my mouth shut to lose a pound a day :p Keep up the good work, nothing better than getting into a size smaller.

The club that I was going to used the Smart Curves program. I was on a travel pass so I wasn't part of that program. I just figured that if I was sweating at the end of the workout I had to have my heart rate up.

Just had a doctors appointment on Tuesday of this week. I am 56 years old and she asked me if I have been doing cardio as my heat beat was excellent. I have hit a plateau at 23 lbs, not putting any on, but not losing either. We have a cruise planned in two weeks so I will watch what I eat and then get back on level one of the weight management when I get home. Good luck with losing another 20 lbs before Memorial Day. I would have to sew my mouth shut to lose a pound a day :p Keep up the good work, nothing better than getting into a size smaller.

I will never meet that goal by Memorial Day but I'll just keep plugging..I would need to sew my mouth shut too..LOL

Congrats on your weight loss; that's excellent..

Archived