Padi basic cert on board, then can I do certifiied tank dive on another cruise?

janlou37

I am thinking of doing the 2 dive basic scuba padi cert on the Explorer this April. I know this is not the OW cert.

I will probably only ever dive again when cruising, so my question is, with the certified tank dive excursions offered by RCCL, is there an instructor, as I understand the Basic Scuba Diver cert only allows you to dive again with an instructor? Or would I not be certified for this type of excursion?

Hope this makes sense!

Janlou-

'Certified diving' means that you must have completed the normal Open Water certification, regardless of agency. Otherwise, you will end up doing repeated Discover Dives, which are both restricted and expensive. I'm sure some of the instructors on this board can explain all of the technical aspects.

By all means - try a Discover dive first, but if you get hooked, go on and do the full OW certification.

IMHO, either get certified before you go on your cruise, or at least complete the classroom portion. You can then set up your certification dives in the ports you are visiting.

You can probably find your closest dive center through BSAC http://www.bsac.com/. If you do not have a local dive shop or dive center, I know that PADI offers online courses (http://www.padi.com), and other certifying agencies may as well.

Welcome to the beautiful underwater world!

Wendy

Wendy - Thanks for your reply. But I'm just getting a little confused. I know there is a Discover Scuba excursion on RCCL which you do not need any experience for, but they do do the PADI cert as well, which is what I was going to go for.

I just need to know whether the PADI cert (Basic Scuba Diver C card, not OW cert) entitles you to take part in the certified dive excursions on RCCL? Or do you need to have the full OW cert to take part?

If you do, then there is no point me taking the PADI, I might as well just do Discover Scuba, just to try it.

I would appreciate any help with this.

Thks

The Basic Scuba Diver certification is the basic training, and 2 dives. I believe that 2 more dives are required to complete the Open Water certification under PADI, and I'm not sure about additional training.

I was unable to figure out anything more from looking at the PADI website.

Hopefully, one of our instructors out there will weigh in with the real scoop.

Wendy

PADI Scuba divers are certified to dive with a PADI instructor or divemaster to basic OW depths and conditions. You will complete the first 3 Chapters in Knowledge Develoment, Confined Water 1-3, and OW dives 1&2. This is about half the class. You will be able to upgrade to OW diver later if you so choose.

Dale

PADI OWSI

Dale - Yes, that is what I understood.

So at the end of the course I will get a valid C card to Basic Scuba level, that entitles me to dive with again with an PADI instruction/DM.

Do you know if the excursions offered on RCCL that ask for a valid C card to participate, have an instructor or DM present?

Most will, but check before you go. Make sure you get a referral from the onboard instructors so you can upgrade at home when you decide to without having to start all over, even though most instructors will make you do it all again anyway...I would.

I started with the scuba diver cert that i got on the voyager last year. i would not recommend this route for 2 reasons. none of which has to do with RCCL's scuba program. the instructors where great. #1. 2 of your at sea day will be mostly taken up with class and pool dives. now for me this is big. while all my friends where drinking at the pool and having fun, I was in school. #2. You will only tecnically be cerified to 25' with a padi divemaster. which in my opinion is not enough to do any "real dives". I would have at least done my book/pool work here local and did a referral for my 2 dives there if you do the scuba diver, so you can enjoy your cruise. Besides unles you live in Alaska ( and I know they dive in Alaska, I dive in Seattle) you will want to get connected with your local shop to learn what diving they do there.:D

Thanks everyone for your help. I think I'm going to try the Discover Scuba first to see if I like it. We cruise regularly so I'm sure I can sign up another time for the cert, if all goes well.

Thanks again :)

Archived