Best Snorkelling Spots -6 ports

Minoushka

We will be on Victory in March .Where can we snorkel from shore or where is it best to take a boat to snorkel on the following islands

St Thomas -been to Coki Beach .Has anyone heard of Waterlemon Cay /Is it feasable on a day excursion from St Thomas or too tight

Where else is snorkelling good

Antigua which beach

St Kitts Cockleshell not good anymore

What about South Frigate?

Champagne reef in Dominica -shore or boat

Whale watching mid march possible????

Barbados -Carlysle bay saw 2 wrecks

Where else?

Been to Folkestone too rough could not see anything

St Lucia -WEnt to Anse Cochon by cab NEVER AGAIN on those roads

Came back by boat

Where to ???

Any nice beach the one we went to was WAY TOO ROUGH Very high waves ...not for me

I like dead calm seas clear water

Not too impressed with St Lucia

Thanks for all info

Michele

Re: Whale watching in Dominica--we did this and were not impressed, but without a doubt it was due to having the wrong expectations. We expected whales jumping, tails flashing in the air, a wonderful display of nature. When we found whales, about 15 (which the captain was impressed by finding that many), they basically floated on top of the water and looked very similar to a large log. The best part, and it probably made the trip worthwhile, was that dolphins swam alongside the boat on the way back in and it was incredible to see them doing their SeaWorld routines in open water and untrained. Jumping up together, doing flips, all the things that you think is training is apparently instinct to them. We were more impressed by whales from 3 miles away in Alaska, because they do more jumping. Do a little research, I am sure it is the difference in the type of whales. We were in Dominica in the summer, March might bring different whales. The water is incredible in Dominica, I would definitely advise snorkeling instead. We only dove, so I cannot give advice on the sites, but I am sure that you can find great snorkeling. Unless you want to do a very difficult hike to the Boiling Lake, there is not much else to do. That said, don't get the wrong impression, we loved Dominica. But definitely get an understanding of the island, because I could easily see getting a bad impression if you are only there for the day.

Sapphire Beach has nice snorkeling off the beach in St. Thomas. You will probably see sea turtles there with the small fish and it is a beautiful beach to hang around. There are iguanas walking around, also. I know that different cruise ship passengers came there when we stayed at the condos there 2 and 3 years ago. Hope that helps.

St Thomas We went to Trunk Bay on St. John, the snorkeling there is ok. I was told it's much better at Cinnamon and Maho Bays.

Antigua We went to Long Bay, snorkeling there was nothing spectacular. Starfish and hermit crabs is all I saw there.

St Kitts We went to Cockleshell and saw 30 lobster crawling around one rock there. I also saw two small eels there.

Champagne reef in Dominica We went to Scotts Head to see the champagne bubbles. Closer to Rosseau than Champagne Bay.

Barbados Payne's Beach/Bay is where they feed the turtles. Not sure if there are any wrecks or reefs nearby.

St Lucia I went on the ship's scuba excursion there. The reefs in front of the Ti Kaye resort were shallow enough to snorkel.

RE: St. John: We stayed a while in 2007 at the Dinosaur house- wow- say hi to Dorie. Most of the island was donated as a park to the US govt. by a Rockefeller. Trunk Bay has more facilities and life guards. There is a snorkel and food shack, bath hours etc. There is a nice little snorkel trail that labels fish. We found that fun. We saw a nice moray eel there one time. The ride to it and the beach is just beautiful! Cinnamon also has a campground, facilities and is similar to Trunk. Maho is more rustic, but a longer ride if you are going to get back to the ferry back to St. Thomas. Salt Pond is also further along, very rustic and beautiful. In general, you get less people around the further you go towards Coral Bay. Most of what we saw as far as fish goes was the same no matter what, unless we went out on a boat.

rccl offered a daytrip on st lucia worth every penny-took close to an hr to get near the pitons on a fast boat,snorkeled off a black sand beach in a marine park. not hawaii but the rocks were huge and we only made a dent in the space to snorkel. lunch was a few min walk in to the jungle. i believe there was a swanky hotel in the next bay. an hr back by boat-no potholes,no problems. it was a gorgeous trip-i would do it again and am not one to take cruise shore trips. they offered it as a 1/2 day but the lunch was picturesque-cooked on an old sugar boiler and there was so much snorkeling to do i would take the day. wish it was tomorrow...:(

you might get a daytrip to waterlemon from stt but be sure they can get you back on time. it is not the usual daytrip stop but may be the best snorkeling in stj. google usvi and find power boats who will go where you want.cinammon is not better than trunk-just a lot less crowded. if you want to do stj get there eary,early,early. it is our favorite land vacation spot and there are a LOT more fish in the am...you can also snorkel at secret harbour on stt from the shore. there is a nice restaurant open to the public. they will call you a taxi back to the ship. we did sapphire in the am and sh in the pm. can't bear the daytrip to stj-might jump ship!

Archived