snorkeling on your own?

pbraud@hughes.net

We are going in March on NCL and would prefer going on our own instead of a ship excursion. Last time we were there we went on a Coral Breezes tour and it was great but I'd like to to to Goff's on my own or just get to Caulker Caye to wander around. Has anyone done this?

Pam,

We are considering the same in March on NCL. I know we can take the water taxi over to Caye Caulker from Belize City (round trip $30 Belize dollars...should be $15 American) and also Coral Breeze takes people over just to the island for the day for $39 roundtrip (I think the price listed is American money) ...going with Coral Breeze will make sure we get back on time to take the tender over to our ship. I don't know if a water taxi goes to Goff's. I've looked online and can't find it listed as a stop on the water taxi. The water taxi website is: http://www.cayecaulkerwatertaxi.com I sent an email asking if there is a stop at Goff's Caye. I haven't heard back yet. I hope someone responds, so we'll know!

I emailed Coral Breeze about Goff's because I have read so many things about how wonderful the snorkeling is there. They told me that since the last hurricane all that is left of the cay is about an acre of land. Needless to say I doubt it would be practical to go there on your own.

My question is, rather than arranging a ship or excursion trip with an outfit like Coral Breeze in advance, how easy would it be to negociate something at a better price once we arrive at the port? Has anyone done that?

Linda

We were extremely lucky to stumble upon Charlie’s Charters during our recent cruise to Belize – we had an unbelievable time snorkeling off his boat! We tendered into Belize City from the Carnival Glory and tried looking around for a local to take the four of us (my fiance, his dad and grandma, and me) out on a boat. They were going to charge us $450 in Belize City, so we ended up taking a ferry over to Caye Caulker. We found a golf cart taxi driver who recommended Charlie and took us to Charlie’s house, where he keeps his boat. You have to walk through a sort of unkempt yard to get to the boat, so if you prissy or high maintenance, be forewarned! :)

It took a couple minutes for Charlie to start the boat, so some in our party were getting a bit anxious, but once it got started, we forgot all our worries. The water was amazingly clear and Charlie took us to 3 wonderful snorkeling sites. The first was “shark and ray alley”, where we swam with probably 30+ stingrays, and were the only people there! Then he led us on a guided snorkeling tour at the second site, and at the third site we stayed and snorkeled around for about an hour. The entire tour was about 2.5 hours long – perfect length of time to allow us to get back onto the cruise ship back in Belize City.

The important thing to note is that you should consider contacting Charlie directly to set this up before you go. That way, he can pick you up in Belize City and you can avoid the pricey middle men that we had to go through (the ferry and the golf cart taxi driver who charged us $20 for a 5 min ride!). His phone # is 501-667-6362. He doesn't have access to the internet, so unfortunately there's no website. Have fun!!

Mahea, how much did you pay Charlie?

We are traveling on the Spirit out of NO on 3/15/09. We'd like more info on this snorkeling trip as well. Did you say that the guy will actually pick you up in Belize City?

We are traveling on the Spirit out of NO on 3/15/09. We'd like more info on this snorkeling trip as well. Did you say that the guy will actually pick you up in Belize City?

Still trying to find out more about Charlie. Has anyone else done this?

Also, do you need to bring your own snorkeling gear?

• 1 month later...

We are seriously considering contacting Charlie for our cruise in May. I have never done any trips outside of what is provided by the cruise line. Do you think Charlie is responsible enough to get us back to Belize city in time? Has anyone else used Charlie?

He seemed pretty reliable to me, but we did just have that one experience to speak of. The snorkeling excursion was about 2 hours long, so there should be plenty of time to get to & from port. Even if you decide not to book with Charlie, I would still definitely recommend the snorkeling in Caye Caulker, it was amazing! I'm attaching a photo to this post (hopefully the upload went through).

buw34.jpg.d15f8a66ab1e26ee455adeb28c5d14d1.jpg

He seemed pretty reliable to me, but we did just have that one experience to speak of. The snorkeling excursion was about 2 hours long, so there should be plenty of time to get to & from port. Even if you decide not to book with Charlie, I would still definitely recommend the snorkeling in Caye Caulker, it was amazing! I'm attaching a photo to this post (hopefully the upload went through).

Once on Caye Caulker where did you snorkel from? I have heard of the "split". Any help is appreciated.

Vicki

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
We saw people snorkeling on the split, but we didn't go there, so I can't speak to that specifically. You can check out my photos on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/9279238@N03/sets/72157615720212856/

There are some photos of the boat, Charlie, and snorkeling! Please excuse the dorky photos of my family :) Just kidding! :)

I've read your post several times and am very interested in using Charlie when my son and I visit Belize in October 2010 -- unfortunately I was unable to view your pics :(

I would love more info, though -- if anyone knows anything more (or more recent) about Charlie please write me at spaceflower22@aol.com.

Archived