Spirit ~ Western Carribbean Review LONG

mstechr

Thanks for the review! We just booked our 1st cruise for 1/10/10 and even though it is a year away I am so excited. I guess DH will be eating a lot of steaks or sandwiches from room service :)

Did they have Quest? I read on another post that some people complained and they are not always doing it. :( I am looking forward to seeing it so hope they don't quit.

Thanks for the review! We just booked our 1st cruise for 1/10/10 and even though it is a year away I am so excited. I guess DH will be eating a lot of steaks or sandwiches from room service :)

Did they have Quest? I read on another post that some people complained and they are not always doing it. :( I am looking forward to seeing it so hope they don't quit.

They did Quest the last night on the ship. We went down to the Galaxy of the Stars lounge in the early evening and watched all 3 shows that night. I laughed so hard at Quest that I was probably obnoxious! I could not believe some of what I was seeing. I am not easily offended but I could see that it would bother some people. I WAS NOT HAPPY to see 2 10-12 year olds in the room at one point. I wonder where their parents were and why those boys were there. They did the burlesque (sp?) show last that evening and it might have been good if we could have seen most of it but we had really rude people coming in and out and just standing close to the front blocking the view of all those behind them. I wanted to shout "down in front" but my husband would have killed me. Instead we tried to lean around people to see little bits of teh show here and there. If you have the chance to see Quest do it!

We just got off the NCL Spirit today......back from the Western Carribbean. We enjoyed our trip so much that I am already looking at other itineraries. This cruise was our very first. We were a little anxious about what we were supposed to be doing but we really didn't run into any problems at all.

So, in summary.....when I go on my next cruise I will still get a balcony room, still bring lot's of tipping money as these people really take care of you, skip the soda card purchase and just pay for canned pop as I need it, pay more attention to when the shows are playing, take advantage of the spa services early on and not worry ahead of time about shore excursions and just find something to do when I get off the boat. Hope this information helps someone.

Since this was your first cruise and loved it, I would like to suggest you try another ship. I have found trying another ship is more fun than going on the same ship over and over. I prefer the newer, bigger ships although I will be trying the Spirit soon as it is a short drive to the port and we want to go back to Bermuda. We also carry on soda and water with no problem.

Happy cruising....

In Costa Maya we went to Pez Quadra and laid on the beach under the polapa's.

Hi there! Since you were just at Costa Maya I thought maybe you could help.

Our family is also going to Costa Maya the end of March and I'm trying to decide between Tequila Beach and Pez Quadra. This may sound silly to some, but it matters to me... was there a lot of sea or turtle grass as you entered the water at Pez Quadra? I saw a pic posted by another cruiser of turtle grass at Tequila Beach. Given a choice, I'd rather go where the water is clear and I can see what I'm walking on. :)

My BIL was the only one in our group who tried a lot of the different food and he appreciated the opportunity. It seemed to me like most of the passengers were Americans on our recent cruise and since the ship sails out of NO I'm assuming that would be the case most of the time. I wonder why NCL doesn't cater their menus to meet the tastes of their biggest client base. There is a plus side to leaving the menu's as is though......I never over ate, LOLOL. I do want to say that I think that anyone who is not adventurous in their food tastes, like me, should be able to find something they can eat at one of the restaurants. I never starved and as someone mentioned you can always eat at Windows every day and order a steak and potato.

Each ship does not have their own menu, nor do the lines do specific menus for sailing out of specific ports. The menus are usually fleetwide. And traveling is one of the best times to try new foods. I, for one, would be very disappointed if the cruiselines blanded-down their menus just for Americans (and I am one). To me, that's a little too myopic. Besides, there are always meat and potato options and you can request sauces on the side (or none at all) if in one of the restaurants.

Hi there! Since you were just at Costa Maya I thought maybe you could help.

Our family is also going to Costa Maya the end of March and I'm trying to decide between Tequila Beach and Pez Quadra. This may sound silly to some, but it matters to me... was there a lot of sea or turtle grass as you entered the water at Pez Quadra? I saw a pic posted by another cruiser of turtle grass at Tequila Beach. Given a choice, I'd rather go where the water is clear and I can see what I'm walking on. :)

I didn't get in the water at Pez Quadro but my husband did. He said there was grass in some areas and it wasn't the kind of snorkeling we did in Cozumel or Belize. It was interesting but not really a lot of fish or anything like that. They did snorkel near a sunken sailboat but the current was really strong and my husband said he actually felt a little nervous about being out there in those conditions. Hope this helps you.

do they still have an ice cream parlor onboard where you can get soft serve just about any time of the day? I had seen pictures of one onboard, but have never heard anyone say anything about it.

Thanks

I didn't see an ice cream parlor but there was soft serve ice cream in Raffles everyday.

I've read a lot of reviews on the board that mention the food, some good, some bad. Only one person in our group really enjoyed the food. We ate at Cagney's one night and we all enjoyed that. Anything we got at the Blue Lagoon was really good too. Blended drinks were the best! Raffles did not serve the kind of buffet food we were expecting from a buffet. I think we were expecting more traditional like fried chicken, roast beef, mashed or baked potato's, maybe some BBQ, tossed salad with condiments, a couple casseroles, etc. So, we kinda chalked up the idea that we didn't like the food more to the idea that we aren't used to it rather than it not being good. We ate at Windows and most of us felt the same way about that food as we did Raffles. I have a sweet tooth and thought I would really enjoy the desserts but they seemed a little odd to me too. One good thing about the food is that I didn't overeat! LOL Really, I think the food was probably fine for anyone who enjoys that type of food.

Heh, you're just like me. On my honeymoon in Jamaica I ate at the beachside grill for every meal just to get familiar food. I like all of my food Americanized in some way. :) Thanks for the warning, that helps people like me more than you know. Even if it did elicit some pompous responses from the food snobs, it helps some of us "normal" people. I'm not against trying new things, but I don't want to spend my entire vacation trying food I don't like.

Great review overall, it'll help me when we set sail on Spirit in a few weeks.

Cathi, that is funny earlier in the post about the escargot. My husband and I were on our honeymoon (RC Song of Norway) almost 19 years ago and tried it and loved. We experienced alot of different food back then. Not like the "usual" fair that they have now. Those were the days.

Archived