Pompeii day trip from Rome?!

OK, Before anyone says it, let me say that yes, I know Pompeii is a long way from Rome and is a bit harder to do as a day trip.

I'll be staying in Rome for 3 days prior to an upcoming cruise. And 1 day post cruise.

I'd really like to take a day trip to Pompeii from Rome. Actually it's more than a "like to see" It's more like a requirement. My 5 1/2 year old daughter LOVES history (she gets that from me lol) and has been specifically interested in Pompeii and Vesuvius for about a year, so I really have to go so I can take some pictures for her! Plus I've always dreamed of visiting the site.

I've found a few tour operators that offer Pompeii, but price and details vary quite a bit.

For instance, do I need a guide for Pompeii or would it be more relaxed, less rushed and better to just wander Pompeii on my own?

Do you have suggestions for getting to Pompeii and back on my own without a tour or guide at all?

Do you have any suggestion for specific tour operators you've used or like? Many of the companies offer cost efficient tours, but not all of them are offered in February.

Thanx for any information!

Actually, it will be faster to take the train Change in Naples -- it's a different train company in a different station, but they are attached, the local train to Pompeii is downstairs; the rail operator is Circumvesuviana.

Unless you are a complete research freak and do some serious studying before you go, a guide will be very helpful. You can hire one on site. Or, you can buy a guide booklet on-site, but I think you will find that less rewarding.

The fast train Rome -> Naples is <1 1/2 hours. reservations are required.

Naples->Pompeii is ~30 to 40 minutes. the station you want is Pompei Scavi.

ab0si is right, the train is a very good option.

You can check the schedule for the long distance trains at http://www.trenitalia.it/en/index.html and for the trains to Pompei, the Circumvesuviana, at http://www.vesuviana.it/Reteeorari/Ferrovia/Orario .

As you "love history" I would say it is "more relaxed, less rushed and better" to wander around on your own. The guides seem to be quite good for standard tours that allow a short view of a few sights for tourists who stop for just one or two hours. Yet there is so much more to see. A whole day will not be enough if you are genuinely interested but allows certainly for much more insights.

Just be prepared with a lot of knowledge beforehand and get either a very good detailed guide book and/or the audioguide available at the entrance.

One more hint: Bring food and drinks with you or buy them at latest outside the gates where numerous vendors have their stalls.

On my first trip to Rome, about 10 years ago, I took an Appian Line tour to Pompeii. This was before I discovered private tours & for a bus trip it was definitely ok. Of course, you have to waste time visiting a cameo factory. I just visited their web site & they are giving a price of 115.00 Euro per person. A private car with tour/guide would probably cost in the neighborhood of 45.00 Euro per hour, per car. If you opt for the private tour, I suggest you contact Stefano of Rome Cabs right away to get quote & make reservation. He is the best!!

Soooo, you have the option of spending a little money for a train, a substantial amount of money for a bus tour, & a lot of money for a private tour. You'll love Pompeii! Just be sure to wear the most comfortable shoes you have.

Pompeii is easily done in a day. Be sure and catch an early train so that you'll have the whole day there. Also, don't miss the Villa of the Mysteries. You can hire a local guide at the entrance, who will take you around for a couple of hours, and then have the rest of the day to explore on your own.

Archived