Spirit 1/15 random thoughts; not really a review

jennbill

Some random thoughts from our Spirit 1/15 sailing:

First and foremost, San Diego may be the coolest embarkation port ever. Just ask us why.

Gaslamp Quarter is great for restaurants and The ShoutHouse is a rockin' dueling piano bar.

The Holiday Inn Bay Front was very good. Nice room and the the bayview was awesome. Our room was directly across from the Spirit's mooring. Woke up early to catch the Elation's docking and then after a few more zzzz's, watched the Spirit arrive. Trader Joe's was a short cab ride away for some Two Buck Chuck to take on board.

Embarkation was a breeze. The ship still looks really fresh even after seven years. The staff was the best ever on our Carnival cruises. Our dining team was the exception to that as they were just average "what you should expect and nothing more". Room stewardess was very good and the bartenders and servers throughout the ship were outstanding. Food was good to very good and sometimes great. The buffet wasn't the best but we never went hungry for lunch, always something to whet the appetite. Beef dishes in the dining room weren't very good except for the prime rib at the end of the voyage. Other dining room favorites included: lobster, lamb, tilapia, crab cake, fried shrimp entree (defintely not the appetizer), shrimp cocktail, cornish game hen, prime rib, souffles, warm chocolate melting cake. Supper club was outstanding as always.

Chris Roberts was a great cruise director. I would have loved to seen him "out and about" just once but he was great in the showroom. His three person staff was awesome. Marky Mark, Mel and Brandon were among the best we've seen. Don't miss Chris's "Blues Brothers Tribute", it's great and you'll never forget to wash the dog. Onboard entertainment was generally good. Mexican folklore show on Acapulco night was about the best thing I've ever seen on a ship. The male vocalist was very good in his variety show and we enjoyed the two comedians and the comedian/magician.

Ports were nice. Sail into Acapulco was cool, cliff divers were neat. Zihuantenajo was awesome. Great shopping, dining, drinking and sightseeing nearby. Manzanillo was better than expected.

Sea days on the way home were filled with wildlife with tons of whale sightings near Cabo from our aft balcony. Disembarkation was a breeze. Courtyard by Marriott Point Loma post-cruise was great for two nights. Sammy's Wood Fired Pizza was good. Karl Strauss downtown was awesome for beer and food (Oggi's Point Loma for beer too). Can't forget In n Out Burger for a late night snack our last night. San Diego Zoo and Sea World didn't disappoint either.

This was one of our top two or three cruise vacations.

Certainly willing to answer any questions.

Some random thoughts from our Spirit 1/15 sailing:

First and foremost, San Diego may be the coolest embarkation port ever. Just ask us why.

Gaslamp Quarter is great for restaurants and The ShoutHouse is a rockin' dueling piano bar.

The Holiday Inn Bay Front was very good. Nice room and the the bayview was awesome. Our room was directly across from the Spirit's mooring. Woke up early to catch the Elation's docking and then after a few more zzzz's, watched the Spirit arrive. Trader Joe's was a short cab ride away for some Two Buck Chuck to take on board.

Embarkation was a breeze. The ship still looks really fresh even after seven years. The staff was the best ever on our Carnival cruises. Our dining team was the exception to that as they were just average "what you should expect and nothing more". Room stewardess was very good and the bartenders and servers throughout the ship were outstanding. Food was good to very good and sometimes great. The buffet wasn't the best but we never went hungry for lunch, always something to whet the appetite. Beef dishes in the dining room weren't very good except for the prime rib at the end of the voyage. Other dining room favorites included: lobster, lamb, tilapia, crab cake, fried shrimp entree (defintely not the appetizer), shrimp cocktail, cornish game hen, prime rib, souffles, warm chocolate melting cake. Supper club was outstanding as always.

Chris Roberts was a great cruise director. I would have loved to seen him "out and about" just once but he was great in the showroom. His three person staff was awesome. Marky Mark, Mel and Brandon were among the best we've seen. Don't miss Chris's "Blues Brothers Tribute", it's great and you'll never forget to wash the dog. Onboard entertainment was generally good. Mexican folklore show on Acapulco night was about the best thing I've ever seen on a ship. The male vocalist was very good in his variety show and we enjoyed the two comedians and the comedian/magician.

Ports were nice. Sail into Acapulco was cool, cliff divers were neat. Zihuantenajo was awesome. Great shopping, dining, drinking and sightseeing nearby. Manzanillo was better than expected.

Sea days on the way home were filled with wildlife with tons of whale sightings near Cabo from our aft balcony. Disembarkation was a breeze. Courtyard by Marriott Point Loma post-cruise was great for two nights. Sammy's Wood Fired Pizza was good. Karl Strauss downtown was awesome for beer and food (Oggi's Point Loma for beer too). Can't forget In n Out Burger for a late night snack our last night. San Diego Zoo and Sea World didn't disappoint either.

This was one of our top two or three cruise vacations.

Certainly willing to answer any questions.

I just got off Saturday and saw Chris running around alot in Shorts and T-Shirts wearing a hat.....A couple time up on my Floor (Prominade)....I was thinking he had a family of friends with on the cruise..... I do agree i saw Marky Mark..and Brandon all over the place

Hi there. We are sailing from San Diego in 2.5 weeks (on the Spirit). We are travelling with little kids and have elected to stay close to Balboa park. Can you offer any tips re: San Diego? Did you shop? Did you need a rental car? We are going to Legoland and the Zoo. Thanks. Can hardly wait to get going.

Archived