Spending a day in Puerto Vallarta

V and S

We are going on Princess in late March, and my husband is going to go off on his own the day we're in PV to do the Los Veranos Outdoor Adventure (not my thing). ;) I'm trying to decide what to do and after doing a bunch of research, I feel I might like to either (a) take a cab to El Centro, get a French pastry at the French pastry place, wander around a little, see the art, go down the Malecon, and then down the beach to one of the restaurants where you can rent a chair/umbrella; or (b) take a cab to the Botanical Garden (their website is lovely). Perhaps there will be time to do both.

But about (a), I'm a little nervous about cabbing and walking around PV alone (blonde, 40s, feminine, reasonably assertive). As for (b), I'm a little nervous about cabbing all that way (it is on the road past Los Veranos by it looks like a mile or so) and then being out there solo. I've travelled alone a lot in my younger days, but not in Mexico. Hm. I guess I am a little nervous.

Anyone who wants to weigh in, I would appreciate it! Thanks! :)

My husband did Los Veronas 2 years ago and I was too scared to do it. They have a really nice restaurant/bar and lounge chairs on a small beach by the river. The waiters will come out to your chair. I spent the time drinking margaritas, eating fish tacos and reading a book. It was a really relaxing few hours and I very much enjoyed myself.

V and S,

We have not been to the botanical gardens in PV, but we did in Acapulco, and it was not really that great. If you are a plant person, then ok.

We have been to the zip lines and it is somewhat far. and bring bug spray. PV is the most beautiful city in the riviera, with great views.

If I were a single woman, I would be patient and wait around the cruise terminal area where the 8 person white (nice newer a/c) vans collect folks for private tours. I would ask to join a party with similar interests (of less that 8 folks) and tag along with them. You can always leave them after an hour or 2, and you would likely see the spectacular sights of pv; and they are spectacular. You would still have plenty of time to be a malacon area walk, and that is nice!

you could go to los veranos and just hang around free, not really that great of a memory, in a canyon, they had a small zoo of caged local varmits, like a monkey or two.

Thank you, househunter! Now, did you have to pay for the excursion, too?

You can pay a reduced fare to just travel back and forth on the bus. Check with Los Veranos (http://www.canopytours-vallarta.com/info/faqs.htm) or a tour agent (http://www.puertovallartatours.net/las-juntas-y-veranos-canopy-tour.htm).

if you are nervous about it, then dont do it alone , you dont deserve stress on vacation. perhaps check with your roll call people and see if you can get a couple or few people together and do it as a group:)

better safe than sorry,just my opinion

dave

I loved the zip line tour with my hubby at los veranos. The best part was hanging out with the monkeys at the end. You can pay a cheaper rate to just take the bus and like the others said, wait for your hubby. Then you can drag him along to what you want to do. I had a massage at the Krystal while my husband hung out at their pool. You could even do that on your own. If I remember correctly, we walked to the Krystal resort, so you could have your husband walk there with you, then he can take a cab to the los veranos office. You can get your massage and enjoy the rest of your time poolside or on the beach. From what I read and experienced, there is no charge for this.

We took a cab into the center of Puerto Vallarta. Went to the church, the flea market and walked along the Playa de los Muertos (south of the river) and then back up the Malecon.

PV has an incredible feel. Very safe and friendly. The town is very clean in the old section and there are a lot of people there when the cruise ships are in.

We are doing it again in November and would recommend it.

PCruzer, what I know about the pastry shop is it is called Paris Cafe and also has great breakfasts, and is on a corner of Basilio Badillo near Galleria Dante (an art gallery) and Viva across from it (which sells jewelry).

Archived