Cozumel: how to know which tours?

sandravb79

I am comparing different cruises for our vacation in April, and one possibility would be a Carnival cruise to Cozumel and Grand Cayman.

When I look at the shore excursions, it says there is an excursion to visit Maya ruins on the mainland, but it also says that that excursion is not available on every cruise that goed to Cozumel.

How will I know that it will be available for that particular cruise? If that excursion is not available, we will have to look into another one.

I am comparing different cruises for our vacation in April, and one possibility would be a Carnival cruise to Cozumel and Grand Cayman.

When I look at the shore excursions, it says there is an excursion to visit Maya ruins on the mainland, but it also says that that excursion is not available on every cruise that goed to Cozumel.

How will I know that it will be available for that particular cruise? If that excursion is not available, we will have to look into another one.

biggest issue is how long you are in port and what times. the ruin tour is an 8 hour excursion, so you will be gone a LONG TIME. nearly impossible to do with an outside company.

I would not do it with an outside company, it would be through Carnival.

But how would I know before booking whether it will be offered for the cruise I will be going on?

I always seem to end up on a "general" shore excursion page for Cozumel, and they say that that excursion is not offered for every ship/ sail date.

I would just like to check whether it would be offered or not on the one I would take.

I watched people arriving too late at Freeport, I would not go with an outside company for something that lasts that long :)

Where else is the cruise going? There might be some other places to go to ruins....

Key West is not solely a beach place - it is fun an quirky with lots of shops, places to eat etc. Cozumel has tons of shopping. Tulum is supposed to be great, but it is a 7 hour excursion. There is a five hour Mexican cuising thing too - S. Brown did something similar on a show I recall. Does it say how long the ship is in port there?

Grand Cayman is also very nice - if the sting rays don't appeal - there are ways to do several land tours to the rum factory, hell, turtle farm etc, and you don't have to put a toe in the water....

Went to Talum in Dec 08 it was great! Book through Carnival that way they won't leave without you!!! You are first off that way also. Was well worth all 7 hours. Was hard to get to the sit down dinner so we just buffeted it that night. Could have been done though we just didn't want to be that rushed we were in cruise mode. :)

Here's my suggestion. You'll have to do a little research on the Carnival site and find a current sail date for "your" cruise that shows the ship being in port those same hours. Then go to the roll call board here and look up someone on an upcoming cruise date that is within 2 months of the cruise. (That's the time frame that shows which excursions are available on each cruise.) Ask someone to check their excursion list and tell you if the Tulum tour is offered. This should work!

We did the Tulum tour on our very first cruise on the Conquest. It is a fascinating place, as all Mayan ruin sites are. However, when you do this tour, you will not visit Cozumel at all. At the time that we went, ships were not docking at Cozumel, and our mainland ferry picked us up directly from the ship. We never set foot on Cozumel that trip. There is a lot of travel time involved with the Tulum tour, but in my opinion, it's worth it. If you don't get to go this time, maybe you can do it on another cruise.

Here's another suggestion. If you haven't booked your cruise yet, you might want to look for one that goes to Progreso. From there, you can take an excursion to Uxmal ruins, which are by far my favorite Mayan ruins! They are just beautiful! Plus, you are allowed to climb some of the structures. Go to this site for more info on the ruins: http://www.locogringo.com/research/ruins.html :)

Archived