Back from the ORCHESTRA 1/24 sailing

hess2201

Let me just say the we had a wonderful time on the Orchestra. This was my 21st cruise, and for the first time ever, i was a little nervous. I had read all the negative reviews, and thought i might have made a mistake. I am sooo glad the we went.

First, let me say the MSC is different. A good different. A refreshing different. They are NOT Carnival, Royal, or NCL, and they do not want to be. They market to many nationalities, not just americans. americand need to understand this, or go somewhere else.

Embarkation was the best I have ever seen. We got off our plane at 11.50, got luggage, took a taxi, and were on the ship at 1:15. Every one was nice, except a NASTY woman from the sherrifs dept who apparently thinks taking a picture of the ship is a federal crime.

We had cabin 8055, an obstructed view quad cabin. The size is good, the storage was excellent for the four of us. The bathroom had good storage, and great space. We did get washcloths on day two and had them the rest of the week.The towels are large and very nice. No bathrobes. We did get fruit in the cabin, and ice twice a day. The room was kept very clean. never met the cabin steward.

We thought the food was excellent. Many great choices. It was nice to see some different choices. Dinner was always good. The desserts were some of the best we have ever had on a ship. Lunch in the buffet was good also. Lots of choices. Breakfast was normal b-fast stuff. we did have one breakfast in the dining room. It is the same as the buffet.

We did eat dinner one night in Shanghi. It was outstanding. The price is ala carte and well worth it. The service was excellent. Loved it.

Do not miss the evening pizza. Yes you have to pay, but they make it for you when you order it. Nothing is pre made. Possibly the best pizza we have ever had.

We have no complaints with the quality or quantity of the food.

Also, we had free iced tea at dinner each night.

The entertainment was very good. The shows were great. Lots of live music in the lounges. The three guys playing guitar were fantastic. We looked for them each day.

Lots of variety, something for everyone. Dont look for steel drums by the pool though, they dont have them. The pool area is rather quiet compared to other lines.

The overall service on the ship is very understated, not in you face. no one pushing you to do or buy anything. You will have to get the bar staff attention, they will not track you down.

Cayo Levantado is worth a trip on MSC by itself. the best private island i have been to. (half moon cay is a close second)

Be sure to meet Liverne, the english hostess. She is super!

MSC is not perfect. No cruise line is. If you are looking for something other than the usual, Give them a try. If you are picky and grumpy, stay at home. MSC growing and slowly adapting to the U.S. market. They are not trying to be just like the others.

I am very glad the we went, we liked it, we will go again!

I am happy to answer any questions i can.

Hess2201- Thanks for your post - It is wonderful news to hear you had a great time. we will be sailing on April 11th with our two boys.

Questions"

When you went to Cayo Levantado- How was the water - Rough / calm

would it be safe to leave your stuff unattended while in the water?

When you had dinner how long did it take. I;m reading that it takes 2- 2 1/2 hours. Is this true?

Did you take any drinks on with you? water/soda?

Hi Hess,

thanks so much for your review. It is so nice to hear that you had a wonderful time.

We will be on the orchestra in less than 2 weeks and getting very excited to go.

I do have a couple of questions for you...

When you ate at Shanghi how was the prices is it ala cart like everyone said and if so

could you please give me an example of some of the the prices.

The pool...do you just pick up the pool towels at the pool or are they delivered to your cabin??

thanks

cheryl

Some answers...

Cayo....

I wish i was there now! The water was mostly calm, usually one wave right at the shore line, but calm beyond that. It was windy that day too. Very nice sand, smooth bottom, no rocks or coral. We left our things on our chairs, took our cash when walking around. Did not feel unsafe at all. Local security walking around too. We are not usuall ones to sit on the beach all day, but we were on the first tender over, and one of the last ones back!

loved it!!!!!!

The beach towels...

available when you are getting off the ship. just sign out as many as you like, and drop them off as you are getting back on. I actually like this set up as opposed the the ones put in the cabin. They are solid dark blue for those who care.

Shanghai

Wonderful meal. Yes, its ala carte, no cover charge. i had sweet and sour pork, and it was $8, a large pot of tea was $2.50, fried rice (large bowl) was 5.00. Our whole bill for the four of us was $26. I should have gone there twice!

About dinner,

We had a table for four. It took 1 1/2 hour every night consistantly. We ordered every course including dessert. The service was good, and the waiters friendly. We had early seating. always out by 7pm

The breads are excellent. they will bring you more if you want. I loved the breadsticks.

They did have several deck parties/buffets. I sadly cant stay up that late, and did not see them.

The pizza. They are from $5-$7 each. Two people can share one unless you are a huge eater or just very hungry. My wife is a pizza conoissuer, and she ranks thier pizza very highly.

Now, lets be clear, the pizza (free) on the buffet at lunch, is NOT the pizza i am talking about. This starts at 8pm, and you need reservations, They only take a few people at a time.

glad i found your review .. we are sailing in March 2009 and I was getting a little worried about all the bad reviews. We are sailing with our children 14 & 17 anything for the kids do on board like other lines?

Sail Away,

It was quiet, in fact, we were half way through dinner. They are the last ones out.

Kids Club

There has been a lot of talk about this, mostly negative. Our kids are not "group activity" oriented, and generally dont want to go. We did con them into going to the pizza party so we could have an hour or two alone. The workers seemed very nice, and worked hard at getting kids involved. They would come up to our kids and invite them to go to things.

They do not have the facilities that Royal or Carnival would have, But they do try very hard.

Teens generally will not want to be involved in MSC "kids activities", its mostly geared toward 12 and under.

glad i found your review .. we are sailing in March 2009 and I was getting a little worried about all the bad reviews. We are sailing with our children 14 & 17 anything for the kids do on board like other lines?

Read this thread. I think you may find it helpful.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=918612

my kids loved the "kids club" on royal caribbean they love being envolved ... since the week we will be on is "spring break" hopefully there will be kids their age who want to be envolved. Again, thanks for all the information.

Hey, what's with the big screen up on the pool deck? Did I miss anything? I never saw anything really cool displayed on it. Mostly just excursion movies like you'd see on the cabin TV.

I never noticed it being used at night for movies; never noticed any sound coordinated with it. Seems a shame that it's not used for movies or at least music videos. Geez, even a couple silent films could be cool.

Hey, what's with the big screen up on the pool deck? Did I miss anything? I never saw anything really cool displayed on it. Mostly just excursion movies like you'd see on the cabin TV.

I never noticed it being used at night for movies; never noticed any sound coordinated with it. Seems a shame that it's not used for movies or at least music videos. Geez, even a couple silent films could be cool.

Yeah, I thought that was rather odd too. I know on Princess they always do movies under the stars. Don't know why they weren't doing that? I did see that they showed NFL playoff games on it a few weeks back.

Does seem like a waste.

We are NOT starting a language discussion here..............................

I did ask the hotel director about this..... why no movies????

His answer was... what language? He did say there were showing the super bowl there....

Please remember....this cruise line is marketed to many nationalities!

sorry fellow americans...its not all about you!

I did think it was odd that they ran the shore tour loop the whole week, all the way up to the last day.....

Archived