Specific camera questions - Canon Rebel XSi

Hi there!

My current Canon (a PowerShot S3 IS) has bit the dust. It was the victim of a 5-gallon lemonade spill this summer and just never recovered. :-( BUT. I'm cruising to Alaska this summer and I'm beyond ready to upgrade the camera, not just for the trip, but I'm a graphic designer and take a lot of my own photographs.

I've been researching for months and it just occurred to me that you all are a wealth of information and could help! So I'm looking at the Canon Rebel XSi. It comes with an EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens and I would add an EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS telephoto lens.

Can I get any feedback on that? I'm hoping to spend less than $1000 on the whole lot (for now). May be able to add another lens (REALLY want a good wide-angle, but I don't think it's in the budget!). However, I'm not well-versed in camera-speak, and I don't know if I'm just trying to sell myself on a great camera, or if it really is a great camera and will do what I want it to.

I shoot a lot of stills - architecture, isolated shots of people and animals, and some action shots - soccer games, wildlife, etc. Really kind of random. I also generally need a relatively good macro, which I think the standard lens on the Canon will give me, and for a trip like Alaska, the telephoto.

?? Anyone willing to give me some ideas on if I'm on the right track? Or does anyone have this camera and think I'm not thinking through something?

Thanks a TON TON TON!!

Natalie

tulips*n*truffles,

I have a 30D which is similar to the XSi, and am very happy with the camera. I use http://www.the-digital-picture.com/ for information on all things Canon, and there the XSi has gotten a good review as has the kit lens you would like.

However. the 55-250 lens does not get a particularly good review.

With a budget of $1000 you might consider getting just one lens, the EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. I haven't looked at the prices but I am pretty sure the XSi with the lens you ask about would be over that amount.

Good luck and have fun. Not too many things better than buying a new camera. :)

Larry

Natalie,

I bought the exact setup you're considering about 6 months ago and I am THRILLED with it. The 18-55mm kit lens paired with the 55-250mm give me a full range, and both take EXCELLENT pictures.

I'm a novice as well, and this was my first plunge into DSLRing, and the XSi has been everything I had hoped it to be and more. It takes great pictures on full auto, and when I get ambitious, It has semi-auto modes that allow me to try picking some settings, while it makes adjustments to optimize performance under the existing conditions. Eventually, I will learn enough to feel confident in trying the manual mode, and do all the settings myself.

One more lens you might consider is the 50mm f/1.8 II, commonly called the "nifty fifty" that takes incredible portrait shots, with beautiful soft focus "bokeh" in the backgrounds. It's very inexpensive, and a great addition to your setup.

If you'd like to see some of my results, they're on my Flickr page at:

http://flickr.com/photos/26580725@N03/

One last thing, there is a great Canon Photography forum that has information and photos and tons of help at:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum

Good luck, hope this helps you out,

Rich

Hi there!

My current Canon (a PowerShot S3 IS) has bit the dust. It was the victim of a 5-gallon lemonade spill this summer and just never recovered. :-( BUT. I'm cruising to Alaska this summer and I'm beyond ready to upgrade the camera, not just for the trip, but I'm a graphic designer and take a lot of my own photographs.

I've been researching for months and it just occurred to me that you all are a wealth of information and could help! So I'm looking at the Canon Rebel XSi. It comes with an EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens and I would add an EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS telephoto lens.

Can I get any feedback on that? I'm hoping to spend less than $1000 on the whole lot (for now). May be able to add another lens (REALLY want a good wide-angle, but I don't think it's in the budget!). However, I'm not well-versed in camera-speak, and I don't know if I'm just trying to sell myself on a great camera, or if it really is a great camera and will do what I want it to.

I shoot a lot of stills - architecture, isolated shots of people and animals, and some action shots - soccer games, wildlife, etc. Really kind of random. I also generally need a relatively good macro, which I think the standard lens on the Canon will give me, and for a trip like Alaska, the telephoto.

?? Anyone willing to give me some ideas on if I'm on the right track? Or does anyone have this camera and think I'm not thinking through something?

Thanks a TON TON TON!!

Natalie

This is a good read for a starting point:

http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/5429/dslr-shootout-five-top-cameras-compared.html

All the entry level cameras these days are very good. The bigger question is as you expand your interest and start possibly investing in more lens or an upgraded body which line offers the best upgrade as well as backward compatibility. Its amazing what a thousand bucks buys you compared to to a short two years ago. All things being equal or near equal I would nudge you to stay with Canon or Nikon. They are the biggest companies and in this current economic situation anything is possible, but these two have been around the longest and likely are in best position to be still here in 20 years.

Go to a local store and play with them sometimes the final deciding point is how the camera, dials, buttons and all fit and work with your hand. Once I got used to the ergo of one brand all the others looked like stone age ergo buttons to me.

I would definitely go out and touch the models that are available. What chipmaster said about Canikon is true, they are the leaders in DSLR sales. But that doesn't mean that they are the only good cameras out there. Canon leads worldwide in overall digital camera sales but Sony is second by a hair with Nikon a distant sixth behind Kodak, Olympus and Samsung.

System expansion is important but unless you need a $1800 tilt/shift lens for architectural shooting, an $8000 600mm telephoto, or a $7500 weatherproof pro camera body, any of the top five listed in the article will do just fine. Sony, Pentax and Olympus all offer superb optics and flash systems that are used by legions of wedding and event photographers. The little things like live-view requiring a one button push instead of a seven-step menu dive or having wireless flash control built in rather than having to buy a $150 add-on affect the enthusiast photographer a lot more than the availability of a vast array of never-to-be-needed accessories.

Go hold them, play with the controls and see which one is right for you. that is why I shoot with a Minolta 7D and a Sony A700, but my choice isn't necessarily best for you.

On the bright side, the chances of you getting a bad camera is almost zero...all of the top manufacturers make great cameras.

Good luck!

Dave

I would definitely go out and touch the models that are available. What chipmaster said about Canikon is true, they are the leaders in DSLR sales. But that doesn't mean that they are the only good cameras out there. Canon leads worldwide in overall digital camera sales but Sony is second by a hair with Nikon a distant sixth behind Kodak, Olympus and Samsung.

System expansion is important but unless you need a $1800 tilt/shift lens for architectural shooting, an $8000 600mm telephoto, or a $7500 weatherproof pro camera body, any of the top five listed in the article will do just fine. Sony, Pentax and Olympus all offer superb optics and flash systems that are used by legions of wedding and event photographers. The little things like live-view requiring a one button push instead of a seven-step menu dive or having wireless flash control built in rather than having to buy a $150 add-on affect the enthusiast photographer a lot more than the availability of a vast array of never-to-be-needed accessories.

Go hold them, play with the controls and see which one is right for you. that is why I shoot with a Minolta 7D and a Sony A700, but my choice isn't necessarily best for you.

On the bright side, the chances of you getting a bad camera is almost zero...all of the top manufacturers make great cameras.

Good luck!

Dave

This is an interesting read for ya Dave:

http://www.bythom.com/2009predictions.htm

With electronics in free fall and huge losses being posted by all the big guys, much larger then anyone even predicted a few short months ago I wonder if things won't get worst still. Another factor is DSLR penetration has now gotten very close to what I belive is record levels and the improvements in MegaPixels and other features are becoming less and less compelling who's to say even the two big guys could end up in big trouble too... :eek:

For the other players in DSLR, I personally can't see how not having at least 25% MS going forward that there is enough for a huge varied company like Sony or Samsung to want to sink money into it as it won't materially grow profit or revenue to the larger bottom line, nor add to the name brand prestige. The other brands got nothing else so their motivation is very different perhaps. Just my 2 cents as I see this across the board in technology and watch companies try and fight when it makes sense and sometimes try and fight when it makes none.

SONYs a huge success and has big brand recognition in CE but NONE in the high end DSLR till a few short years ago. They've struggled mightly in their home country, very different then their success say of PS3 versus Xbox. Not knocking them as all their offerings across the board offer more feature bang for the buck. But that might not be enough in the longrun... Time will tell....

If all one buys is one body and 3 consumer lens. This isn't as material, get the one that best fits your need and works in your hand and offers the best value :D

dslr-2008-japan-market-1.jpg.b272bb6edf9cb62d7188ac6780fb44c5.jpg

SONYs a huge success and has big brand recognition in CE but NONE in the high end DSLR till a few short years ago. They've struggled mightly in their home country, very different then their success say of PS3 versus Xbox. Not knocking them as all their offerings across the board offer more feature bang for the buck. But that might not be enough in the longrun... Time will tell....:D

My off-topic 2¢...:)

One thing that people miss about Sony is that they are a huge presence in professional level broadcast video (did you watch the Super Bowl in HD?) and they have dominated camcorder sales for years. With the convergence of high-end video and still imaging technologies, who can tell what is in store. Look at what RED is up to!

Sony has been either #1 or #2 in digital camera sales since digital cameras were available to consumers and their sensors are used in most of the top selling P&S cameras (including Canon). Their entry into the DSLR market was a given, since they also manufacture most of the sensors used by APS-C DSLRs (except for Canon) dating back to the Nikon D100 in 2002. They were already collaborating with Minolta on their first DSLR offering in early 2006 when Minolta pulled out of the camera market and passed their technology on. Whether they stick with it is a valid question, but their 25% of the DSLR market share in Europe and the recent success of the A900 has altered the landscape a bit. Keep in mind that they went from zero to third with one model and have maintained that position by producing good cameras based on that inherited Minolta technology supplemented by their own considerable R&D resources and long-time partnership with Zeiss.

Canon is in a good position (800 lb gorilla in DSLR) and will continue unless they really shoot themselves in the foot. One nice thing about Nikon moving to a close second in DSLR sales with Sony coming into the picture at third place is that the days of Canon coming out with weenie upgrades to already good cameras are over. Now they have to compete again.

Nikon (780 lb gorilla in DSLR) will continue producing excellent DSLRs and will remain strong in that arena with the advantage of their great brand recognition and pro support network. Their P&S cameras are getting mediocre reviews and are losing what market share they have, which surprises me since they always produced great stuff. I guess that since all the top manufacturers produce great cameras, maybe great stuff doesn't look as great when surrounded by other great stuff.

Pentax has Samsung at it's back, so they will be there as long as their new buddy sees value in the name recognition, Samsung's first DSLRs were re-badged Pentax clones, but their newer cameras are jointly designed and are now using Pentax-designed, Samsung-manufactured sensors instead of Sony units. Sadly it looks like Samsung + Pentax may be equal to Samsung in the long run.

The Olympus Four Thirds system DSLRs are excellent but with Panasonic rumored to be discontinuing their Four Thirds DSLR cameras and moving to the Micro 4/3 EVIL (Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens - LINK) format leaves Olympus with a source of sensors, but with a loss of a camera line that uses Four Thirds lenses. Olympus makes their own excellent Zuiko lenses, as does Leica but with only Olympus, Panasonic and Leica making Four Thirds cameras, (though Olympus is, by far, the leader in sales) the loss of one may cause third-party lens manufacturers to drop the mount...especially if Micro Four Thirds takes off. Since Olympus is also doing Micro Four Thirds, perhaps they will move into that market. Their tiny, elegant ***** series SLR cameras were never market leaders, but were superb (if expensive) units and had a dedicated following. Perhaps that's where Micro Four Thirds is heading, taking Olympus with it.

The only thing for sure is that it is an excellent time for photographers. With all of the above and others stepping all over themselves to find the best way to provide us with the latest and greatest at competitive prices, we are the real winners.

Dave

Thanks for all of the great feedback and the links - all very helpful and there is just so much information out there!

I found a "kit" on eBay that I'm interested in. It has the XSi, two IS lenses, two standard lenses (standard might not be the right word - generic?), and a bunch of accessories. I'm certain the accessories aren't high quality, aside from the lenses and camera being Canon, the rest are just again, generic.

I wonder - would anyone even consider getting a lens that isn't IS? There is one, a 75-300, that seems like an incredible value, but I'm not sure it's that great if it's not going to be helpful.

Also, I've been looking at some information about what all the letters and numbers mean. I think a handful of people "think" they know, and are really excited to talk about them, but then I read an expert site and find out the first person was wrong! :D So for instance, with this lens: EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, I know the IS is Image Stabilizer, but the rest is a little foreign. How lame to spend this much money on something I don't know that much about! :-( But still.

Thanks again for the great help!

Natalie

Thanks for all of the great feedback and the links - all very helpful and there is just so much information out there!

I found a "kit" on eBay that I'm interested in. It has the XSi, two IS lenses, two standard lenses (standard might not be the right word - generic?), and a bunch of accessories. I'm certain the accessories aren't high quality, aside from the lenses and camera being Canon, the rest are just again, generic.

I wonder - would anyone even consider getting a lens that isn't IS? There is one, a 75-300, that seems like an incredible value, but I'm not sure it's that great if it's not going to be helpful.

Also, I've been looking at some information about what all the letters and numbers mean. I think a handful of people "think" they know, and are really excited to talk about them, but then I read an expert site and find out the first person was wrong! :D So for instance, with this lens: EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, I know the IS is Image Stabilizer, but the rest is a little foreign. How lame to spend this much money on something I don't know that much about! :-( But still.

Thanks again for the great help!

Natalie

I would watch from who/where you are buying on ebay. If you are a costco member I'd check there first. They have very nice combo packages and great customer service.

They have the 10Meg with two lenses for 699 and the 12 Meg with 18-55 for 699 as well.

On ebay you could get a refurbished or a returned camera and resold as new. Not saying that the rule but more likely then say form Costco. I've read even B&H customers have had this problem.

The lens you metion is IS ( stabilized ) good as its a long zoom.

The 4.5 - 5.6 is variable apeture which means it is slower at the longer zoom length, lets in less light, need longer shutter speed. Since you have IS probably okay for outdoor distance shooting. For shooting in low light you would need / desire a 2.8 lens but that is talking 700 to 1,800 bucks or more.

I would watch from who/where you are buying on ebay. If you are a costco member I'd check there first. They have very nice combo packages and great customer service.

They have the 10Meg with two lenses for 699 and the 12 Meg with 18-55 for 699 as well.

On ebay you could get a refurbished or a returned camera and resold as new. Not saying that the rule but more likely then say form Costco. I've read even B&H customers have had this problem.

The lens you metion is IS ( stabilized ) good as its a long zoom.

The 4.5 - 5.6 is variable apeture which means it is slower at the longer zoom length, lets in less light, need longer shutter speed. Since you have IS probably okay for outdoor distance shooting. For shooting in low light you would need / desire a 2.8 lens but that is talking 700 to 1,800 bucks or more.

I absolutely agree with you about eBay. I've done a lot of buying and selling there. I purchased both my Canon and my dad's from this seller a couple of years ago and had great luck with him. I do hear you though!!! Unfortunately, I don't have a Costco anywhere near where I am. SAMS Club, but the deal isn't anywhere near this. I looked on Amazon, where I've also done plenty of spending, but I can't find just what I'm looking for. I generally do most of my shopping online, with the exception of groceries...but I hear that may be changing one of these days, too! :-)

THANK YOU for explaining the lens information! That makes a lot of sense and I'm really glad to know the real deal.!!!

So for instance, with this lens: EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, I know the IS is Image Stabilizer, but the rest is a little foreign.

EF (Electro Focusing - autofocus motor in the lens) -S (Will only work on APS-C sensor digital cameras like the Rebel or the 20/30/40/50D but not on the 1D or 5D full-frame series) 55-250mm (Absolute focal lengths - With the crop factor of the APS-C Canon sensor it will appear to be an 88-400mm lens) f/4-5.6 (variable maximum aperture - F/4 at 55mm, f/5.6 at 250mm) IS (you got that one - Image Stabilized)

Dave

I am so glad that I upgraded to a DSLR. As much as I love my Canon S3IS and will continue to use it, I find the DSLR more my cup of tea. I have a Samsung(pentax clone), that I got a crazy good deal on a couple weeks ago, it is a previous generation, but too good of a deal to pass up.

Now I just have to prevent myself from going into the poor house buying lenses!:eek:

Boy this has been a fast moving thread.

I assume this is your first step into DSLR so you have no major tie to one brand or the other. If you think you will be getting deeper into the hobby now is THE time to look at all the cameras out there and pick a brand. Once you start buying lenses you are somewhat stuck with that choice. Do not let your past history with Canon lock you into them. The buttons & menus will be familiar to you but I do not think the learning curve would be much different for any of the major brands.

I do not think you will do wrong by purchasing: Canon, Nikon or Sony. The Canon package Pierces linked is a good package to get you started with a good range of lenses. If you wish to purchase online I would use:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

http://www.adorama.com/

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/home.aspx (specialize more in used, though has a good new selection)

There is always Costo online, though I have seen Adorama beating their prices.

---

Now I have to point out that I shoot Canon so I am biased. I have had a Xti and loved it and I think the Xsi is even better.

Thanks so much for the responses here! I've done so much reading the last few days I feel like I need a computer break!

I've settled on the Canon Rebel XSi and after a bit more research, I'm hoping to have a kit customized with a few accessories. I'm working with a seller on that.

One question I have though that I can't seem to find an answer to. I need to decide between a Canon 55-250mm IS lens and a Canon 70-300mm IS lens. ??? Which would you chose and why? With this much investment, I know it's a personal choice, but I really don't have much to go on. I'll mostly use it to shoot on this (and future) cruises, at my nephews' soccer and basketball games, and at some random concerts, that kind of thing. Any input there?

Also, the kit includes a standard wide-angle and a standard telephoto lens. Does anyone actually use those? And in what capacity? In addition to your mega-lenses?

Thanks again! MUCH much appreciated!

I just wrote a "lens" on Squidoo that discusses my experience with moving to digital SLRs and the various lens that I shoot with along with sample photos.

http://www.squidoo.com/Digital-SLRs-1

A previous poster mentioned the nifty 50 and I wholeheartedly agree! The Canon 50mm f/1.8 II lens is *the* bargain lens.

I also mention the 55-250mm IS EF-S lens and while its not bad, its also not that good!

Can anyone offer a recomendation to a canadian purchase online. The current exchange rate is scaring me off from ordering a lens online.

Henry's is about the only one I'm familiar with that has a pretty good reputation.

http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HenrysItemSearch?storeId=10001&keywords=xsi&departmentId=&type=1&imageField.y=0&curr=CAD&imageField.x=0&filter=categoryFilter:Digital%20Cameras:c10429|

Canada is like a foreign country to me...

Dave

Statements like this make me want to head back to Photography 101 instead of 102, where I thought I belonged!

Dave, can you please explain what that means?

Thanks!

To use the LCD to compose or preview a shot you use Live-View.

To activate live-view on the Canon XSi"

1. Be sure you’re shooting in P, Tv, Av, M, or the A-DEP exposure modes

2. Enable Live View in the camera’s Menu

3. Go to the 2nd (of three) Set-up Menu screens, and navigate to “Live View function settings”

4. Press the SET button (on rear of camera) to enter this choice, and move up or down as needed to highlight “Live View shoot.”.

5. If it doesn’t already display the word “Enable”, press the rear SET button again to display its choices. Highlight “Enable”.

6. Then press the SET button one more time to enable it

To activate Live View on the Sony A300 or A350:

1. Press the Live-View button.

Sorry about the cryptic reference!:o

Dave

Dave, thank you so much for the explanation!

I have an XTi, so I guess Live View isn't something I need to know about at this time. ;)

Is the Live View any different from just a regular preview on my G10 LCD?

I really appreciate you and some of the other regulars around here who are so helpful to those of us who are eager to learn!

Welcome to DSLR... lots of fun but watch for a few problems.

Before you purchase a lens make certain it is for a DSLR camera. Canon lenses will specify this.

For holiday shooting you will generally need 2 lenses, a "walk around" lens for most of your photography and of course the telephoto for your other shots.

I use the 17-85mm IS lens a my walk around lens it does 85% of my photography and has the added feature of being able to take pictures indoors with no flash as the IS system lowers the F stop to allow this. Won't cost you an arm or a leg either.

The kit 18-55mm lens takes OK pictures if you have you heart set on an IS tele lens first. Later pick up the IS 17-85mm.

For Tele shots I have the IS 70-300mm lens. This lens won't break you either and does a great job.

With your Canon, the IS system is all in the lenses, Nikon and other brands put it in the camera body. Canon's thought is better image stablization should be in the lens for sharper images. My Nikon buddies disagree. A good circular arguement over beers if anything. If you are doing ANY kind of photography from a moving object IS is a huge plus, well worth the expense.

Also watch your Live view system as you will run the battery down faster with this feature on. A fully charged spare or two for outings would be prudent.

Hope this helps, happy cruising and enjoy the DSLR!

Dave, thank you so much for the explanation!

I have an XTi, so I guess Live View isn't something I need to know about at this time. ;)

Is the Live View any different from just a regular preview on my G10 LCD?

I really appreciate you and some of the other regulars around here who are so helpful to those of us who are eager to learn!

Live view is fairly new to DSLRs and is really no different than using the LCD to preview or compose on a compact. It can be a valuable tool if you are doing close-up photography, still-life or product photography since you can use the LCD for critical manual focus. In other situations, like sports, kid activities or anything involving motion, using it introduces so much shutter lag that you are far better off using the optical viewfinder. Bright daylight can be a problem too as well as the battery issue that Aubreysshipmate mentioned. The Sonys that I mentioned use a different method to provide live-view and have beaten the shutter-lag problem, providing near-instantaneous response, but compromise by making the optical viewfinder a bit dimmer. Some folks that move up from compacts or superzooms to DSLRs still want to use live view to compose like they did on their old cameras and are really missing the advantage of a bright, clear optical viewfinder and the almost instantaneous response of the DSLR shutter. (Target audience for the Sonys?) Don't worry about not having it on your XTi. I've used live-view on a friend's DSLR and don't miss it at all on mine.

As for the answers and help, no worries. Happy to be of assistance. ;)

Dave

Live view is basically what most point & shoot cameras do. You frame your image by looking at the screen instead of through a viewfinder. It is something I have found usefull in only a couple specific situations.

Some drawbacks to using live view on a DSLR:

1. The image on the display is slightly delayed or "sluggish". Since the sensor records the image, the processor crunches the numbers and then generates a low res image to display on the screen. With a DSLR you are seing exactly what the lens sees with no delay and no computer between you and the image.

2. DSLR's traditionally focus by flipping the mirror down and shining the image onto the focusing sensors. During live view the mirror is up so the focusing sensors can not be used. Most cameras offer three modes of focusing in live view: you can drop the mirror down to let the focus sensors work (slow), the computer can look at the image coming from the main image sensor and focus (slow and really slow in low light), or you can manually focus (slowish and more work).

3. Consumes more battery power since the screen (a big power hog) is running for longer.

4. DSLR's tend to be larger and heavier. Hand holding the camera and looking at the view screen is often not a good stable position for holding the camera steady. Holding the camera to your eye to look through the viewfinder is often much more stable.

5. The image displayed on the screen is a much lower resolution than your final image so it is difficult to see minute focus problems on the screen unless you zoom the view screen but then you are only looking at one tiny portion of your image.

Benefits of live view:

1. A lot of people are used to it with point & shoot cameras and are used to looking at the screen to take pictures.

2. Live view can be helpfull when the camera is mounted on a tripod. You can enlarge the view on the screen to zoom in very close and get an exact focus. This can also be used to check the accuracy of your camera and lens auto focus system.

3. In a crowd you can hold the camera above your head to get a clear shot.

4. Can be used to remove camera vibration due to the mirror flipping up. Generally the camera must be mounted on a tripod and using the cameras self timer or a remote trigger to get all the benefits.

Welcome to DSLR... lots of fun but watch for a few problems.

With your Canon, the IS system is all in the lenses, Nikon and other brands put it in the camera body.

Hope this helps, happy cruising and enjoy the DSLR!

Just a touch of correction, Nikon VR system is in the lenses just like Canon, and I know that Sony is in the body.

The nice touch about in the body Stabilization is that every lens is corrected, but do all lens need it?

Enjoy your camera

Archived