Can anyone ID this fish?

go&see

We saw this fish while snorkeling at Champagne Reef in Dominica & can't find it in our basic fish ID book. We were thinking it might be in a transition phase & that's why we can't find a matching ID pic.

FishChampagneReefDominica-1.jpg

It's funny, when I read about Champagne Reef before our trip I was led to believe there's not a lot of marine life there but we saw some great stuff. It was definitely a highlight of the cruise.

Thanks in advance for any help with the ID!

-Stacey.

Hi,

It's a little fuzzy to be definite but it looks like an initial phase Puddingwife Wrasse. Check out my picture of one: http://www.randallgamby.com/Bermuda-pages/Bermuda063.html

Is this it? If so, here's what an adult looks like: http://www.randallgamby.com/Bermuda-pages/Bermuda060.html

If that's not it, let me know and I can research it some more (also looks like the red in your picture is artificial, was there red on the fish?).

Randall

Thanks for the help but I don't think that's it. Sorry the pic is a bit blurry, I cropped it so the image of the fish was bigger but that also "enhanced" the blurriness. Yes, it did have that red on it. The closest match we could find in my book was the Redband Parrotfish. I've looked it up on Google & found other pics that match it quite well. It must have been in some sort of transition phase because the colours are a cross between the juvenile & adult.

I'm still a rookie at the fish ID game but it made our snorkeling this cruise so much more enjoyable to have an idea of what we were looking at. We saw a couple of Trumpetfish that were about two feet long with a lot of blue colouration in Aruba, that was really cool. I felt like I was collecting species by the end - I was always so excited when I saw something new.

Thanks again for your help!

Thanks for the help but I don't think that's it. Sorry the pic is a bit blurry, I cropped it so the image of the fish was bigger but that also "enhanced" the blurriness. Yes, it did have that red on it. The closest match we could find in my book was the Redband Parrotfish. I've looked it up on Google & found other pics that match it quite well. It must have been in some sort of transition phase because the colours are a cross between the juvenile & adult.

Yep, I have a caribbean fish guide and that is an "Initial Phase Redband Parrotfish. The giveaway is the white spot behind the dorsal fin with red fins. Only fish in the Caribbean with this combination.

Good Job!

Randall

I also need a couple of fish ID's from a recent Cozumel dive. Maybe you CCer's can help. The first fish is yellow, about 15 inches long with two small black spots between the dorsal fin and the tail. It seems to have a mouth like a grouper. I have been to Cozumel many times diving and this was the first time I have seen this fish and the second one.

2693821120091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

The second fish also a little over 15 inches long has a rainbow of color and teeth something like a snapper but that is where the similarities end, ok I completely give up on this one

2461025250091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks for your help, earl.

Wow great pictures! I went to the website! What camera do you use?

Thanks, but the fish around the Caribbean make it easy to find a good subject, now if I can just ID them I'll be happy. I use a Cannon S3. The underwater housing is Ikelight. Now I need a good light system for it.

Thanks, but the fish around the Caribbean make it easy to find a good subject, now if I can just ID them I'll be happy. I use a Cannon S3. The underwater housing is Ikelight. Now I need a good light system for it.

Inon makes excellent, although not inexpensive, underwater strobes.

I think the second fish is a parrot fish in a transitional stage.

The first one does look like a grouper, but I don't know which kind.

Inon makes excellent, although not inexpensive, underwater strobes.

I think the second fish is a parrot fish in a transitional stage.

The first one does look like a grouper, but I don't know which kind.

Thanks Bruce, now that you say that it does look like a Parrot fish.

I'd say the yellow fish is a juvenile coney.

Thanks, I just got a chance to start looking again and this is a great starting place, I'm not to good at the identifying part of this.

Second fish is a puddingwife wrasse. I've seen them from the virgin islands to Bermuda. :o) Randall

Randall, I have been using your web page to ID fish for a while and did again this (rainy) weekend. I really enjoy your sight and pics. Also Thanks for the ID, earl.

Also can you give me links to good ID sights? Here are the ones I'm using now. The first two are my favorites because you can at least look at the picture without knowing anything about the fish. Most of the web pages I seem to find you need some ideal of what the name of the fish is in order to find a picture.

Looking at the pics I took last week I realize how much I miss by not being able to slow down and look a little harder. In this pic I now see a nudi branch (tiny, 1/2 inch long blue - green on the rock) about 4 inches to the right of the crab and something (looks like a snake or worm type critter) about 6 inches to the left of the crab in the sand. I love drifting the reefs and walls at Cozumel, but it is a real challenge to get a decent shot sometimes as you divers already know.

2603600250091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

http://www.randallgamby.com/fish-index1.html

http://www.marinelifephotography.com/fishes/fishes.htm

http://www.rodnreel.com/gulffish/gulffish.asp

http://www.saltcorner.com/sections/zoo/1024frameset.htm

Also can you give me links to good ID sights? Here are the ones I'm using now. The first two are my favorites because you can at least look at the picture without knowing anything about the fish. Most of the web pages I seem to find you need some ideal of what the name of the fish is in order to find a picture.

Actually I'd recommend a set of books. Go to Amazon and buy the "Reef Identification - Florida, Caribbean, Bahamas" by Humann/DeLoach. It's a three book series for fish, creatures and coral (and Amazon almost always sells used/good condition sets). They're well worth the cost and most of my identification comes from these. Also another additional book I have from them is, "Reef Fish Behavior - Florida, Caribbean, Bahamas". As a photographer it's good to know if I'm going to have to sneak up on a fish to get it's picture or know it will tag along with me. This book explains how various fish react to divers invading their space. :p

Randall

P.S. thanks for the plug. I put the site together for friends that kept asking to see my pictures and being an Analyst by trade, I HAD to identify the subjects correctly. I have over 700 pictures on it and probably another 100 that I've just been too lazy to upload (I'd like to redue the site to be more location friendly and haven't been happy with all my ideals on how to do it).

I'd say the yellow fish is a juvenile coney.

Thanks again for the help, with the information you gave I was able to confirm the name of the mystery fish.

Actually I'd recommend a set of books. Go to Amazon and buy the "Reef Identification - Florida, Caribbean, Bahamas" by Humann/DeLoach. It's a three book series for fish, creatures and coral (and Amazon almost always sells used/good condition sets). They're well worth the cost and most of my identification comes from these. Also another additional book I have from them is, "Reef Fish Behavior - Florida, Caribbean, Bahamas". As a photographer it's good to know if I'm going to have to sneak up on a fish to get it's picture or know it will tag along with me. This book explains how various fish react to divers invading their space. :p Randall

Thanks for the suggestion of the books. I thought about going to a library to look at some books then buy the ones I liked best. Now I know where to begin.

P.S. thanks for the plug. I put the site together for friends that kept asking to see my pictures and being an Analyst by trade, I HAD to identify the subjects correctly. I have over 700 pictures on it and probably another 100 that I've just been too lazy to upload (I'd like to redue the site to be more location friendly and haven't been happy with all my ideals on how to do it).

Great sight really, I go there often and always enjoy it. I use my web shots page to share pictures with family, friends, students and other divers we meet on dive trips. Identifying the subjects has just recently become important to me, so I'm sure this will keep me out of trouble for a little while.

We saw this fish while snorkeling at Champagne Reef in Dominica & can't find it in our basic fish ID book. We were thinking it might be in a transition phase & that's why we can't find a matching ID pic.

FishChampagneReefDominica-1.jpg

It's funny, when I read about Champagne Reef before our trip I was led to believe there's not a lot of marine life there but we saw some great stuff. It was definitely a highlight of the cruise.

Thanks in advance for any help with the ID!

-Stacey.

Just to loop this thread back around to the original post.... While in St. Johns snorkeling last week I was able to actually capture a juvenile and mature Redband Parrotfish together in a single shot. Ever try to tell two fish to hold still for a picture? It aint easy! :) BTW, thanks for the original post. It turns out I didn't have a picture of this species on my photo site. I will now. :D

Randall

Redband_Parrotfish.jpg

Oh I loved it.. LOVED LOVED LOVED!

Totally hooked.. panama city does not even come close to the caribbean!

I knew you were going to be a natural girl, did you write a post about the dive? Check out the two kids on the bottom right of the pic, might be friends of yours, Teri and I upper left. Eating a bite (after our dives) at San Pedro, Ambregris Caye before we caught a plane back to Belize city (stayed under 1000 feet ;)) to catch the Grand Princess on your cruise. K1 still post so let her know your a diver now, she will get a real kick out of it.

2667003640091393226S500x500Q85.jpg

Archived