Is the water typically calm this time of the year in the Gulf and the Caribbean?

lovemykids

The northern Gulf of Mexico, which includes New Orleans can be quite choppy this time of year, depending on whether cold fronts are pushing through or not. As I write this, winds have picked up substantially and are predicted to continue through tomorrow as a strong cold front is passing. Strong northerly winds run counter to the normal wave action in this part of the world and cause the water to stack up, so to speak. The further south that you cruise the less of an impact you should feel. Once you pass the Yucatan and enter the Carribean Sea proper, the effects of cold fronts should begin to diminish. Since hurricane season is over, aside from the occaisional cold front, things should not be too bad. If you are sailing out of the northern gulf check the weather and see if a strong cold front is expected to pass through the area.

I just returned from sailing out of NOLA on the Sensation last Monday. Around midnight and until we reached Calica on Wednesday morning, there was a tremendous amount of rocking...barf bags were placed at the elevators and many of the passengers and at least one crew member that i know of spent most of the day in their cabins.

I didnt have any problems..I take the Walmart Equate brand of motion sickness pills and wear sea bands

Don't let this post by Makayjean fool you! She wears those sea bands on the land too! *laughing*

I'm just kidding! ;) She's right though, we had a very VERY rocky first three days and though I was taking the dramamine it didn't do a thing for me. After getting back to land I didn't have any problems readjusting either *maybe I didn't get those sea legs that everyone raves about!!*

Archived