Santiago de Compostella Pilgrimage

After our March 2010 TA from Miami to Barcelona, we are planning to walk a portion of the Camino trail to Santiago de Compostella in Northern Spain. This is a 1000 year old pilgrimage!!

Luckily we are not that old, only in our (very) late 50s...

Has anyone on CC done this? Any tips of wisdom? Looking for a few good books on the subject. There is lots of info on the web and even some local Compostella clubs we plan to consult.

We plan to do 100 KM and not the full 800 KM walk. :cool:

Dave

Hi Dave,

We are also in our late 50s. Walking the Camino has been on our travel wish-list for the past couple of years, but we have yet to nail down a specific time to undertake it. Will you do this on your own? or with a group? Since we are not fluent in Spanish, we were looking at groups. We have looked at SpanishSteps and OnFootInSpain.

One of our favorite books is "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: The Complete Cultural Handbook", by Gitlitz and Davidson.

Love to hear more about your plans. Fascinating!

Hi; I did about 150 km of the trail last year with a friend -two women in our early 60's. We had a guide arrange all of our accomodation and luggage transport and we walked independently with his provided commentary which outlined points of interest as well as local "bars" and such. I would be happy to give you more information on our experience - it was a great trip. email me if you wish geosand at telus dot net

Check this thread on Fodors message boards

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2&tid=35132211

There are a couple of people that post there that have done all or part of the camino and have long and well documented reports. One of them did the last 100 kms with Spanish Steps. Another company that does it is called Fresco Tours. I have it in my plans to do in the next couple of years.

Archived