Carnival Paradise questions

mikayla73

I know that Carnival lists 1:30 as the time we can board the ship, but what time do they actually start boarding? I know it can very, but I am just looking for others experiences. We have been on one other cruise, the Glory, but that was in 2005 and I can't remember for sure what time we were let on. I know we got there early, but I can't remember what time. DH doesn't want to get there until about 1:30p, I told him he's crazy! I was thinking 10a ... is that too early?

One more question about the stop in Ensenada ... how close is the town to the pier? Can you walk from the ship to shops? Is it a safe walk or deserted highway? It is my husband and I and we will use common sense about safety, I was just wondering what it was like.

One last thing (for now :o ) - any recommendations for a good taco stand there?

Thanks for all advice you can give me. I have done a search on the Paradise and have a bunch of stuff to read over, but our cruise is in 26 days, so I am not sure I'll have time to get through it all!

I know that Carnival lists 1:30 as the time we can board the ship, but what time do they actually start boarding? I know it can very, but I am just looking for others experiences. We have been on one other cruise, the Glory, but that was in 2005 and I can't remember for sure what time we were let on. I know we got there early, but I can't remember what time. DH doesn't want to get there until about 1:30p, I told him he's crazy! I was thinking 10a ... is that too early? Not at all..drop off your luggage to the porters in the parking garage area, then head next door to the Queen Mary for early check in between 9-11am. There you will go through the entire process, get your S&S cards and be issued a Zone #. We've always been on before noon following this process.

One more question about the stop in Ensenada ... how close is the town to the pier? Can you walk from the ship to shops? Is it a safe walk or deserted highway? It is my husband and I and we will use common sense about safety, I was just wondering what it was like. Its very close and a busy and populated main street with some vendors, etc...you will be able to see the ship along the walk into town. Just use common sense, as you mentioned, with purses, etc.

One last thing (for now :o ) - any recommendations for a good taco stand there? We always head to the fish market area...there is a line of kiosks with fish tacos, etc and we always get the seafood cocktails. Its outside seating, hole in the wall style. We love it...and its very reasonable.

Thanks for all advice you can give me. I have done a search on the Paradise and have a bunch of stuff to read over, but our cruise is in 26 days, so I am not sure I'll have time to get through it all!

Hope this helps!

In general you have a lot of questions here that are really well answered on the West Coast Boards here on Cruise Critic!

That being said...

Go to this link to see pics and info on how to get Early Boarding from the Queen Mary, to get first in line for Zone One Boarding Paradise...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=579761

(It also works for Pride, then soon to be Splendor, but all ships including Paradise sailing out of Long Beach California)!

If you decide to do that, then you can usually get on the ship as early as 11:00 AM to 11:30 AM (but you have to get to the early boarding on Queen Mary first).

If you (or your husband) don't want to do that, then wait until about 2:00 PM-ish. The lines will be short and fast to board.

Sometimes that works at 1:00 PM-ish to 1:30 PM-ish, but I'm not going to guarantee those hours.

We went to "Pappas and Beer" first and walked right back out again upon seeing their food prices. We ended up at a little shop right down the street called "Amigos". They had cheap (plentiful) beer and tasty fish tacos. We ate and drank there all afternoon and dropped like 40 bucks for a bunch of tacos and several buckets of beer.

We went to "Pappas and Beer" first and walked right back out again upon seeing their food prices. We ended up at a little shop right down the street called "Amigos". They had cheap (plentiful) beer and tasty fish tacos. We ate and drank there all afternoon and dropped like 40 bucks for a bunch of tacos and several buckets of beer.

Hummm...I will have to remember that Amigos name...

One more question about the stop in Ensenada ... how close is the town to the pier? Can you walk from the ship to shops? Is it a safe walk or deserted highway? It is my husband and I and we will use common sense about safety, I was just wondering what it was like.

It is quite a trek into town from the pier.......they have lots of shuttles out front that will take you into the heart of town.

As for the best tacos in town I highly recommend "Taqueria Mexico Lindo"

It is 2 doors down from Mango Mango and across from Papas n Beers.

It is a small family owned restaurant with counter and table seating.

All the cooking is done right in front of you........and very reasonable.....

I would not ever eat at a taco stand/cart.......

Have fun!!!

Thanks to everyone for the info... I really appreciate it!

I am a little confused about how far it is into town. Can you easliy walk it and it's not deserted road?

And new question :)

Has anyone done the winery tour through Carnival? I think we are going to do that since we'll be in port from 9a - 10p. We are just looking to relax. We're not looking for a big party, so I thought the winery tour would be fun. Any thoughts?

Thanks to everyone for the info...

A new question though :)

Has anyone done the winery tour through Carnival? I think we are going to do that since we'll be in port from 9a - 10p. We are just looking to relax. We're not looking for a big party, so I thought the winery tour would be fun. Any thoughts?

We had knocked around possibly doing the blow hole excursion, but never booked it. There just isn't that much to do in Ensenada, so any excursion you book will at least be something to do! I say go for it if the price is reasonable.

Yeah, the Blow Hole blows! If we end up going on the 4-day again (which we loved last March by the way) this spring, we'll probably stay on ship while in Ensenada. Ensenada is kind of a pit, but, if you want, you can completely chill out on the deserted ship. It depends what you want out of your cruise. I totally dug the relaxation component.

I've heard the winery tour is cool, but I live near wine country so I can't see going wine tasting in Mexico... that's just the Cali wine snob in me.

Catalina is beautiful, but waiting for the tenders to go to shore was a little time-consuming.

The ship was great, the service was wonderful, the food was yummy (everyone will tell you to get the chocolate melting cake, which I did... every night)... just a great time overall.

Yeah, the Blow Hole blows! If we end up going on the 4-day again (which we loved last March by the way) this spring, we'll probably stay on ship while in Ensenada. Ensenada is kind of a pit, but, if you want, you can completely chill out on the deserted ship. It depends what you want out of your cruise. I totally dug the relaxation component.

I've heard the winery tour is cool, but I live near wine country so I can't see going wine tasting in Mexico... that's just the Cali wine snob in me.

Catalina is beautiful, but waiting for the tenders to go to shore was a little time-consuming.

The ship was great, the service was wonderful, the food was yummy (everyone will tell you to get the chocolate melting cake, which I did... every night)... just a great time overall.

We always stay on the ship in Ensenada, makes for a very relaxing day!

I know that Carnival lists 1:30 as the time we can board the ship, but what time do they actually start boarding? I know it can very, but I am just looking for others experiences. We have been on one other cruise, the Glory, but that was in 2005 and I can't remember for sure what time we were let on. I know we got there early, but I can't remember what time. DH doesn't want to get there until about 1:30p, I told him he's crazy! I was thinking 10a ... is that too early?

We got on Paradise quite quite fast, by 10:30-11ish, just be sure to do the early check in at the Queen Mary EARLY! Your cabins are not ready till 1:30, sometimes a little sooner.

My DH and a friend got very very sick from a taco cart there! We now go to Pappas and Beer and sit out on the patio and have thier taco's or Nacho's Grande! Its good!!!!

It is quite a trek into town from the pier.......they have lots of shuttles out front that will take you into the heart of town.

As for the best tacos in town I highly recommend "Taqueria Mexico Lindo"

It is 2 doors down from Mango Mango and across from Papas n Beers.

It is a small family owned restaurant with counter and table seating.

All the cooking is done right in front of you........and very reasonable.....

I would not ever eat at a taco stand/cart.......

Have fun!!!

I hear what you are saying about the carts/stands..they arent for everyone and can be an adventure. I 've lived in Panama and Puerto Rico for years and have had no issue with them...

I have been to Ensenada to many times to count. Living in San Diego and choosing not to pay the airfare to cruise elsewhere we are fairly limited to our choice of ports ( and now they kill the Ensenada/Cabo run:mad: but thats another story)

I have done the Wine Country tour several times and love it. I have booked it through Carnival everytime. Depending on the time of year the vineyards are barren or full of grapes ( gone during both and still pretty) The samplings are good and generous, and they provide fresh baked breads and cheeses. At one select winery you will receive a free bottle of wine to take home as well. My duaghter 20 even enjoys this one. She has gone twice and taken a bestfriend one time and her boyfriend the last time in Dec. Comfortable ride and relaxed tour with lots of info about the country along the way.

Hope that helps~

I have been to Ensenada to many times to count. Living in San Diego and choosing not to pay the airfare to cruise elsewhere we are fairly limited to our choice of ports ( and now they kill the Ensenada/Cabo run:mad: but thats another story)

I have done the Wine Country tour several times and love it. I have booked it through Carnival everytime. Depending on the time of year the vineyards are barren or full of grapes ( gone during both and still pretty) The samplings are good and generous, and they provide fresh baked breads and cheeses. At one select winery you will receive a free bottle of wine to take home as well. My duaghter 20 even enjoys this one. She has gone twice and taken a bestfriend one time and her boyfriend the last time in Dec. Comfortable ride and relaxed tour with lots of info about the country along the way.

Hope that helps~

Ditto on the wine tour! We did the Carnival tour. They took us to 2 different wineries which were beautiful! Tasted lots of wine and a little tequila:p

Also op the walk into town is not deserted by any means....... We did it one time and stopped at many bars on the way....

It is just alot faster with the shuttles.......

Good luck!

I hear what you are saying about the carts/stands..they arent for everyone and can be an adventure. I 've lived in Panama and Puerto Rico for years and have had no issue with them...

LOL! A few of our friends came home with montezuma's revenge:o....got sooo bad they ended up at the doctors:(

Thanks to everyone for the info!

We booked our tour through Carnival so we're good to go! I'll be glad to see some other parts of the area than just the town too. Our plan is to check out the town a little after the tour, then back to the ship. I'm ready to go now! :)

Archived