Downtown/Entertainment Dist. in Vancouver

gxchan

I'll in be Vancouver in late May for a few days after my Alaska cruise and am trying to decide whether to stay in the "Downtown Entertainment District" or just the "Downtown District". Is the Entertainment area rowdy, more youth oriented? I am a woman solo traveler and like to walk, especially after a nice dinner, but don't want to be in areas where there are a bunch of drunk college kids.

Also, any suggestions for a moderately priced hotel would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I am afraid that you have hit the nail squarely on the head in terms of the goings on in the Granville Entertainment District.....to put it in perspective I wouldn't care to take my wife in to the area never mind you as a single woman. As for reasonable priced hotels ... they are hard to come by during the Alaska cruise season and prices pretty much start at about $150 per night. There is the Best Western, Downtown on Drake St that you may care to look at. Also in no particular order, we have heard of pretty sharp prices being had at the Sutton Place and Hyatt Regency thru Priceline and Hotwire. You may care to look at the Hampton Inn on Robson St and the Sandman Inn on W. Georgia and the Blue Horizon on Robson St. All of these are in good locations. There is a Days Inn on and Ramada on Pender St. which are in good locations but I have never seen a sharp deal on them.

Having now read your other post re Taxi....you want to go "Downtown Area" with the two sites or Vancouver Downtown-West.

Putterdude,

Thanks so much for the info on this thread and the cab one, too! I booked a hotel through Hotwire yesterday--Executive Hotel Vintage Park--that says it is downtown; on the map it looks to be close to Yaletown but then the map doesn't show Granville Entertainment District so I can't be sure I'm not there! :confused: The reviews of this hotel on TripAdvisor are mixed but the Visitors Bureau book lists it as 4-star. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I didn't see a van shuttle service from the airport, so I assume it is cabs or the Airport Bus only, right?

I have cut and pasted a number of your posts with info on Vancouver and will take them with me. You are a wealth of info, thanks so much for sharing.

You are more than welcome!

Your hotel is on Howe St whcih is a one way street which is a major artery out the downtown core going south. I would ask for a west facing room as an eastfacing room could be a bit noisy. The hotel is a block west and about 4 blocks south of the entertainment district. You are about 4 blocks west of Yaletown, you will be able to walk over to English Bay, Granville Island and down Howe St. to the shops on Robson St and Pacific Centre which is a large underground regional shopping centre (CDN spelling) as well as the Art Gallery. There are a couple of Starbucks as well as some cafes on Howe. Good location, about 14 blocks to Canada Place, your cab fare will be less then $10. I would call the hotel a high 3* to low 4*.

Your options from YVR are cab...which should run closer to $25 than $35 or the Airporter which stops within the block of the hotel, here is a link:

http://www.yvrairporter.com/

I hope you enjoy your visit to Vancouver and your cruise.:)

Putterdude,

You are a gem! I called the hotel and asked for a room on the west side. They can't guarantee it but noted the request. From your description it sounds like I'm in a good location for me, close enough to walk/cab to most things but not in the heart of party town.:)

LOL, I'm actually more excited about spending time in Vancouver than my cruise!

Again, thanks for your help!

Glad I could be of help...although I have lived in Vancouver all my life now that I am retired I now live in a small seaside town just above Vancouver and for about 5 or so months in AZ....so sometimes I have to reach back in the gray matter a bit. But let me know when you are sailing and on what ship as you will be sailing right by my front door about an hour after you pass under the Lions Gate Bridge on the starboard side. I will watch for you ....you will recognize me, I am the overweight guy standing in front of his barbeque with a drink raised to you in one hand and a putter in the other....:D

Let me chime in here as the resident expert on the downtown core as I live one block from the hotel you have selected and can see the building from my condo - agree mostly with PD regarding the Entertainment District but as a single older male I don't find Granville street that rowdy expect perhaps if the Vancouver Canucks our hockey team should actually win a game but then I am likely to be out there celebrating as well because one of my favorite restaurants on the strip has cheap beer every time the Canucks score a goal - I am digressing somewhat - the hop on hop off bus will stop just about in front of the hotel.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Cheers

Dennis

Ut have you had much of that beer lately .... I have a Canuck mug both here and in Sechelt that I call my celebration mug and only have my morning coffee in it on the mornings after a Canuck win...I have drank from it only once since New Years...ok I was away for 16 days. But I also have a Canuck flag (actually one of my sons just mailed be a second one) but it also seldom has been up recently...oh well hope springs eternal and there is always next year!!!!;)

Putter....sorry to crash the thread but I don't have any other way to track you down.

Do you remember there was a thread last fall here about the Drive IN-Drive Out burger joints? I can't find the thread but I do remember...at least I think I do....that there is one in San Diego. Can you recall? We'll be in SD in April before we head off to the Sea of Cortez and I REALLY want to try that joint!!! We'll be in SD the day before and morning of departure...so I'll have some time.

BTW when do you head home? Snows gone! Well almost....some parking lots still have small dirty mountain in the corner....LMAO!!!

Putterdude -

My cruise is actually in and out of Seattle but since I was so close I thought I would just pop over to Vancouver for a few days. This will be my first 7-nighter and I felt a few days in a beautiful city would help soften the shock of being thrown off the ship after such a short time:D But when I'm in Vancouver I'll go to the Vancouver Lookout, face toward Lions Gate Bridge and wave to you!:)

UT -

Is there a nice restaurant in the area you would recommend?

Here we go again - talking about food a day before I get on a cruise ship - walked through a good part of the tourist area of NOLA this morning - am going to head back out in another hour and tour the rest of the French Quarter and take the ferry across the river to Algiers and if time permits ride the streetcars for a while. There is a parade in the FQ tonight that I want to see and I just have to have a beer and walk down the street with it on Bourbon St.

More later

Cheers

Dennis

Is there a nice restaurant in the area you would recommend?

Ut is in New Orleans so I am going to chime in here with a few recommendations. If you like Italian then there are two great restaurants close by opertated by Umberto Menghi that are next door to each other:

http://www.hotelvilladelia.com/restaurant_ilgiardino.cfm

http://www.hotelvilladelia.com/restaurant_umbertos.cfm

Seafood:

A Kettle of Fish is a good choice or the Boathouse which is on English Bay about an 8 to 9 block walk along Pacific and then Beach Ave:

www.akettleoffish.net

http://www.boathouserestaurants.ca/vancouver-restaurant-locations.php

We had dinner at the Boathouse in Horseshoe Bay back in October, two nights before we left for AZ and were very pleased with it.:)

There is also a new Chinese Pan Fusion restaurant - whatever that is - around the corner from your hotel and between Umberto's and Kettle of Fish. Will see if I can find a link for this one.

PD - this restaurant is located in the old Tony Roma's site on Paciifc.

There is also Stonegrill and Nu located under the Granville Bridge and don't forget they are only 3 blocks to the False creek ferries and the eating places on Granville Island.

With all these questions I ain't getting any sleep - we must be getting close to an other cruise season here in Vancouver.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks gxchan...much appreciated!

Go ahead and rub it in Putter!!!! But soon...well reasonably soon....I will be able to converse intelligent about the pros and cons of the In N OLut Burger!

You guys are too funny! Who'd thought In N Out Burger had such a following! Of course, my kids would eat there daily if allowed.:eek:

Thanks for the restaurant suggestions, I've added them to my list of Vancouver info. All this talk of food has me ready to eat now! :D

As happens all the time now, the airlines have changed all my flights--I just booked them last Thursday! Now they have me flying out of Vancouver at 8 a.m. (unless I want to take a 2:45 p.m.) My question is: how long does it take to get to the airport?

UT, I hope you are having a blast on your cruise!

You have to understand In N' Out has a cult following...I can't believe Animal Fries and things like 4X4's and the heart stopper of all the 8X8...not on the menu board but known to cult members.

top_store_2.jpg

Ok to the serious...time from downtown to YVR is about 30 to 35 mins and your fare will be just less that $35 incl tip. More importantly you need to be at YVR a min of 2 hrs pre flight time in order to clear US customs and security....darn airlines.

O.K., I surrender, In N Out Burger is the bomb!:D

I'm on hold with the travel company, who is on hold with Air Canada, to change my flight to the afternoon one. Thanks for reminding me about the customs. I've gotten so used to breezing through coming back from the Caribbean I don't even think about it anymore.

PD, my first couple martinis in Vancouver will be dedicated to you!

Stirred not shaken, Bombay Blue Sapphire preferably just removed from the freezer, one very tiny drop of vermouth and two olives...not pitted ....oh and and a well iced glass please.:D:D

Thats it for tonight folks...I have a Tee time for the morning.

Your options from YVR are cab...which should run closer to $25 than $35 or the Airporter which stops within the block of the hotel, here is a link:

http://www.yvrairporter.com/

:)

Hi! I'm jumping on board here. Putter, it appears that I could buy a round-trip and go from Canada Place to Westin Grande, then Westin Grande to the airport? Thanks for all your great info - I can't wait to visit Vancouver!

I think that you could do that on the Airporter if their routing is that way....but I am not certain that their licensing permits in city carriage....send them an email and ask. The Airporter doesn't really stop at Canada Place but at Fairmont's Waterfront hotel which is directly across the street. On the other hand you can take a cab from CP to the Weston Grand for about $10 and then take the Airporter out to YVR for $13.75 which will only be $2 or so dollars more and you will have the convenience of the cab. I have stayed at the Grand and it is a lovely hotel and in a very good location.

Archived