Never Dived - Not Certified- Discover SCUBA?

BDUBoftexas

Has anyone ever done one of the "Discover SCUBA" excursions? We've never dived before - or even taken a class so we thought the DS thing would be good - just to see if we'd be interested in pursuing certification - and it looks like you only really dive for about 30 minutes - so even if I were to freak out totally- I'd only freak out for 30 minutes -

I say GO FOR IT!!!!

It seems to be a great way to figure out if you want to get a c-card or not.

Just remember, relax and breathe......just keep breathing & you'll be fine:D

Remember, even the most experienced divers cancel them because they are uncomfortable.

Plan your dive & dive your plan!

Go to a local dive shop and ask if they do discover scuba in a pool. If so, try it out to see if you like it before committing yourself to wasting a day of vacation. Some people freak in the pool, but most really like it and get over their fear.

Dale

PADI OWSI

I never did the Discover Scuba prior to getting my certification. I would imagine where you go and who you go with will make all the difference in how you view your experience. You need to feel comfortable with and have complete trust in your divemaster.

Id get to a local pool with a dive shop in your area beforehand and give it a shot to make sure you are comfy with the whole idea of breathing underwater with a mask on, some people seem to have a hard time with it.

Have that in the bag before you go and know you will get thru it since time is short in port and not lose the day if you spend time getting there set up and then out on a dive boat and then it doesn't happen I would recommend.

Try Cozumel and get far away from the ship (Palancar reef), I took a group of almost 20 there 1 time and we had an awesome time supervised from local instructors. You may even be able to go a little deeper and longer than you thought, ahem...............

Our entire family is certified but our friends are not. They were thinking of trying Discover Scuba on our upcoming cruise. So we called the local dive shop and they offered them a "Try Scuba" in the pool at the YMCA free of charge. They absolutely loved it and are now really looking forward to the Discover Scuba on our cruise. I'd try that if you can so you'll know what to expect when you hit the ocean. Enjoy it!

You might also try "snuba", which is a cross between snorkling and SCUBA. Basically, you are breathing compressed air from an air tank, but it's floating on the surface and you are connected to the tank via a 20' hose and regulator. It gives you an idea of scuba diving without all the equipment necessary for an actual scuba dive. But if you're like me, you'll love it and go right out and get your scuba open water certification. Good luck.

I am certified and my sister is not. She took the "resort course" in St Thomas right at the beach. We dove to 40 ft or so. It was a good intro for her and she was able to dive with me throughout the entire cruise after taking that class in St thomas. I think it was only about a 45 min class or so. Just for your information.....most dives are not much longer than 30 min. Its all depends on how you breathe, and how deep you are. Everyone is different. I say go for it!!!! As far as Snuba goes I say forget that.......at least with scuba diving you are free to go where you want and not connected to hoses etc.......

I am certified and my sister is not. She took the "resort course" in St Thomas right at the beach. We dove to 40 ft or so. It was a good intro for her and she was able to dive with me throughout the entire cruise after taking that class in St thomas. I think it was only about a 45 min class or so. Just for your information.....most dives are not much longer than 30 min. Its all depends on how you breathe, and how deep you are. Everyone is different. I say go for it!!!! As far as Snuba goes I say forget that.......at least with scuba diving you are free to go where you want and not connected to hoses etc.......

I was only trying to give the OP another option. I loved snuba and didn't imply (although you certainly inferred) that snuba was unfettered...it certainly is - the 20' hose!). From my experience with snuba, I enrolled in scuba class and am now certified and love the freedom. It's just an option.

I was only trying to give the OP another option. I loved snuba and didn't imply (although you certainly inferred) that snuba was unfettered...it certainly is - the 20' hose!). From my experience with snuba, I enrolled in scuba class and am now certified and love the freedom. It's just an option.

Oh I know, I wasnt trying to be snotty about it. I guess I was just stating my opinion and how being without the hose would be better. You are right it is another option. As a matter of fact people that are scared of the water may find the Snuba option to be a better option and more comforting. Sorry if I came across the wrong way.

I would say DEFINITELY do the discovery stuff at home first with a reputable dive shop. I did a "Discover Scuba" tour on an island and I am partially deaf as a direct result. They did not give us proper training and I experienced severe barotrauma, external and internal. I have tried to take a class since then and I learned that I can never scuba dive again. Unless you have read LOTS of reviews of the place, don't do it on a cruise...do it before you leave home. I did it with a place where I saw their ad when we got off the ship...no idea if they were qualified or anything.

Scuba diving is wonderful, such a beautiful experience, but it can be very dangerous. Definitely do it at home the first time.

I am certified diver, DH is not. Back on our Jan 08 cruise we did discover scuba in St. Maarten so my husband could try it. He loved it and is now certified because the tour sparked his interest.

For Discover scuba - I would definitely book with a reputable shop/dive center. We booked through the ship. THe ships control who operates their tours based on passengers input and safety of the operation. Doing the tour would not differ if you do it away or at home if you have a reputable tour operator.

My discover Scuba was the most terrifiying thing I had ever done. I'm sort of a control freak and since they pretty much controlled everything and I had no clue how most of the equipment worked I found it very scary.

Carnival's ads showed a nice shallow area of about knee deep water that you started out in...but my first initiation was a giant step off the back of the boat.

Most of the time I just felt like I was sinking and no one seemed too worried about it. I even rememeber shaking my head no at the dive master the first time he had me remove my regulator. :eek:

But because my Hubbie was already on the bottom (he was already certified) waiting for me I persevered... and had the best time of my life. About half way thru the dive I finally "got it" and began to actually enjoy everything I was seeing.

I am now beginning to truely love diving. I just finished my certification and can't wait for my next chance to continue building on my confidence and skills. We sail to Nassau in May and I can't wait to go back to where it all began and do a real dive this time!!! :D

So if I had it to do over again... would I do it...yes! But a controlled pool environment would sure have made for much less scary beginning:rolleyes:.

Lari

I agree with the other that you should try Scuba before you go. I am certified but my dad is not so last Friday night we did the Discover Scuba at our local dive shop. I have not been diving in 15+years so it was a good refresher and my dad loved it.

Question for the others: We will be doing the DS in Roatan has anyone done it before? RCL is using Anthony's Key Resort and it looks awesome; is it as awesome as the pictures online?

• 1 month later...
I agree with the other that you should try Scuba before you go. I am certified but my dad is not so last Friday night we did the Discover Scuba at our local dive shop. I have not been diving in 15+years so it was a good refresher and my dad loved it.

Question for the others: We will be doing the DS in Roatan has anyone done it before? RCL is using Anthony's Key Resort and it looks awesome; is it as awesome as the pictures online?

I'm curious to know...did you take the DS course in Roatan? If so, did you use Anthony's Key Resorts? We are going in a couple of weeks. My husband had never dove so I want to make sure it is a good experience for him. thanks!

I love scuba diving and would recommend it highly. I prefer scuba to snorkeling anyday, just a lot of freedom, more sea life exposure and a wonderful hobby. Coki Beach Dive Club in STT is a wonderful place to get started. They offer classes on the beach, including Bubble Maker and Discovery, on up to all the advanced classes. Nice thing is they are very professional and friendly. The intro dive is a shore dive which can be less nerve racking than a boat dive for newer divers. The dive is shallow and easy. Highly recommend this!! It's located at Coki Beach, which is one of STT best beaches for snorkeling, and right next door to Coral World.

http://cokidive.com/

• 4 weeks later...

I say DEFINITELY try the Discover scuba! That's how I came to eventually get my cert. Some people here are saying try it at home in a pool. If it was me (and I stress only ME!) and I had tried it in a pool, my reaction afterward would have been... yay...I learned to breathe underwater in a pool.

But doing it in the Caribbean in beautiful clear blue water....it was AMAZING!!!

If you go through the cruise lines, you'll most likely only dive in 10-20 feet of water so it's not very stressful. But the beauty of all you see underwater completely had me in awe. I HAD to get my c-card so I could do it again & do it deeper!! If you ever have the chance, you absolutely have to do the drift diving in Cozumel!

If it's something that you're even slightly considering....do it!! Experience life & the beauty of nature.

The End :D

My husband and I have done three DS courses. The first was through the ship in Dominica and it was absolutely fantastic! The instructor was very professional and thorough.

The second was at St. Thomas (I can't remember if it was a ship's excursion or not). The instructor covered everything; however, he was only about 25 years old and had a very laid back kind of attitude.

The third was the worst. We booked an independent excursion through a local dive shop at Cabo, and were on a boat with about 8 other divers of varying experience. We motored out to Lands End (where boats were moored together like a parking lot), geared up, and the instructor said, "You've done this before, right?" We then jumped in the water. I was having a little trouble because my mask was leaking and we were in danger of getting hit by the other boats. We finally were able to get underwater, but he literally held me by the hand the whole dive. After we got away from the congestion, I was fine, but if this had been my first dive, I would have been in big trouble. I'm just relaying this story to let you know that not all classes are created equal. Make sure your first experience is a good one! Happy diving!

• 3 weeks later...

My son and I did a Discover Scuba in Roatan last month through Subway Watersports. We arrived via the Carnival Legend. They picked us up and dropped us off right at the port.

They are a 5 star Padi resort and took safety very serious. We ended up with the Dive Master and a dive master in training for just the two of us.

We had a choice as far as the "training" portion went - pool or ocean. I can't get enough of the ocean so that's where we went. The boat went to a sandbar where the water was about chest high. Once we had the mandatory Discover Scuba training we were off to a nearby reef wall which was amazing. I believe Padi restricts Discover dives to 40 feet. We went down about 20 ft.

I've always wanted to scuba in the crystal clear waters of the Caribbean and had no desire of doing it in a pool prior to the trip;)

I had minor issues with a few things:

Filling up my mask with ocean water for the "clear the mask" instruction was a bit uncomfortable with contacts in but I managed ok.

For our actual dive, on our boat we had to do the rear entry where you fall into the water backwards with the gear on. The instructor carefully demonstrated what you had to do. I was a bit nervous about this but having come all this way I wasn't about to turn back now. It actually went really well when I did it as you just pop back up like a cork. The gear is surprisingly heavy (out of the water - nearly weightless in) so the backwards fall in is really a good way to get in as it saves you packing all that weight around.

It took me awhile to equalize the pressure in my ears. I just took it nice and slow getting to the bottom. Once they started equalizing - no problem.

As a newbie I had trouble with buoyancy. I don't know if I wasn't getting all the air out of the BFD but everytime I got to the bottom and went to swim I started floating to the top. I think mastering this just takes experience and practice - hopefully both I will get more of in the future.:o

By all means try it out in a pool first if you are concerned. I'm comfortable in the water, love snorkeling, have been dreaming of this for years, and didn't anticipate any issues - I just made sure I signed up ahead of time with a reputable dive shop.:)

We did the Discover Scuba in St. Thomas with Coki Beach Divers. It was awesome. Expect to "freak out" a little at the beginning, but try to remember.... "I can breathe underwater" and you will be fine. I think there was about a 30-45 minute lesson first followed by about 45 minutes underwater. We then snorkeled for as long as we cared to

I did the discover dive while on a cruise to Coz. MX. I LOVED it :) Had to get my c-card after that! :)

If you are comfortable in water you should be fine skipping the pool. :) We started in water about chest high, and while I "freaked" a bit when I had to take the reg. out, I don't think being in a pool would have made that part any easier :rolleyes:

I went with a private company (not through the ship) but I read MANY reviews of it before I booked!

Good luck!

Archived