Sofa Beds and dining on board

Cabin Feva

Hi, we are first time cruisers and our 7 year old son is coming with us. He is going to be sleeping on a "sofa bed" which will be put up and down every day by staff (at least so I am told by my TA). We have booked a deluxe ocean view with verandah on Equinox, has anyone slept on one on the Solstice class ship? we are concerned about comfort for him.

My second question is about dining arrangements. I think we have todecide upon a time for dinner? Better to go early with young children? Also, is this for the main dining room? I do not quite understand all the dining options, is this is the buffet? Is this casual? I know there are specsilty dining for a fee. :confused: thanks!!

We travelled with our son from the time he was 11 until he was 18 and he always slept on the sofa bed. We did 5 cruises with him. The sofa bed was more than adequate when he was small but too small when he got big (at 18 he was 6'1" 200 lbs). His bed was made up every evening with his own chocolate on his pillow and when the room was made up in the morning the bed was put back into a sofa. If your son needs more pillows and extra blankets ask for them. Your cabin attendant is there to make all of you as comfortable as possible.

Main dining is the first dining in the main dining room. Our son always loved it...but he loves to eat both then and now. He always tried new things knowing that if he didn't like it they would change it. There is a children's menu as well. They will even give your son french fries with every main course he orders if he wishes. Ketchup can be an issue...ask them to leave the bottle.

Alternatively, you can go to the dinner buffet which is casual. No need to dress up fancy and he can pick and choose what he sees

We always had a rule. Our son had to shower and change into nicer clothes for dinner. He liked to eat in the main dining room but it would have been the same rule if we ate at the buffet. Some of the specialty restaurants require the children to be at least 12 years old. Check X's website on the Solstice to find out what applies for the specialty restaurants.

There is pizza and pasta and burgers and hot dogs and nachos from 12 noon on. Kids love to cruise. They become independant because they can choose what where and when to eat.

They were all wonderful holidays with him. He would tell you that as well.

Joy

Archived