PCL vs. CCL

Gecko7

Having sailed on both cruise lines, I have to say there are more similarities with the lines than differences (depending of course on the ships, the time of year and the itineraries). Both lines give you quite a bit for the money.

Cabins: I prefer the balcony cabins on the larger Carnival ships (more room, larger private balconies, and a couch in the cabin vs smaller cabins with a small table and bucket style chair). We like the layout of the mini-suites on the Grand and Gem class Princess ships better than the ones we've had on CCL (however the uncovered balconies on Princess mini's are a problem for us).

Food: This is very subjective. In our opinion, both lines have excellent dinner fare in the main dining rooms and in the specialty restaurants. We prefer the buffet options on CCL over Princess - mostly due to the wider variety of international foods, the deli sandwiches, lemonade, juice and punch available at the drink dispensers, free 24-hr soft-serve ice cream, and of course the delicious 24 hour pizza and calzones. CCL also offers fish and chips on some of the larger ships. We haven't sailed on one of the newer Princess ships with the Vines wine bar or International Café yet, so I can't comment on those. Sorry.

Activities: Both lines offer a variety of shows in their main showrooms - honestly, we haven't been overly impressed with most of what either line has to offer. Nightlife tends to be a little more lively and stays open longer on the Carnival ships. Both lines also have sports activities and "pool games" going on throughout the day (primarily on sea days).

Fellow Passengers: Both lines appeal to all ages, with CCL attracting a slightly younger crowd. You will read where past passengers will complain about unruly kids running wild on there last cruise, etc... But to be honest, it depends more on when you sail (school holidays, etc.), the length of the cruise, and the itinerary than on which line you sail.

Atmosphere: Carnival is known for their over-the-top "Las Vegas-style" decor on most of it's ships. Princess, on the other hand has more of a subdued and elegant feel to their decor. To be honest, I can't say we have a preference, although this is a "make-or-break" item for many cruisers.

If u are into cruising in suites - Jr & Sr but especially Sr, I wld prefer Princess over Carnival and HAL over both of course..

Carnival is attempting to plse everyone and make all feel they are 'equal' so the service & amenities for suite pax are somewhat lacking but of course, u also pay less so this is understandable. This is just my experience & MO...

Have happy cruisin'!

If u are into cruising in suites - Jr & Sr but especially Sr, I wld prefer Princess over Carnival and HAL over both of course..

Carnival is attempting to plse everyone and make all feel they are 'equal' so the service & amenities for suite pax are somewhat lacking but of course, u also pay less so this is understandable. This is just my experience & MO...

Have happy cruisin'!

I agree completely.

With the exception that other than a complimentary glass of champagne on embarkation, I don't see any difference in the level of service you get in mini's vs service in balconies on Princess. My experience is that the service level has been the same.

Having sailed on both cruise lines, I have to say there are more similarities with the lines than differences (depending of course on the ships, the time of year and the itineraries). Both lines give you quite a bit for the money.

Cabins: I prefer the balcony cabins on the larger Carnival ships (more room, larger private balconies, and a couch in the cabin vs smaller cabins with a small table and bucket style chair). We like the layout of the mini-suites on the Grand and Gem class Princess ships better than the ones we've had on CCL (however the uncovered balconies on Princess mini's are a problem for us).

Food: This is very subjective. In our opinion, both lines have excellent dinner fare in the main dining rooms and in the specialty restaurants. We prefer the buffet options on CCL over Princess - mostly due to the wider variety of international foods, the deli sandwiches, lemonade, juice and punch available at the drink dispensers, free 24-hr soft-serve ice cream, and of course the delicious 24 hour pizza and calzones. CCL also offers fish and chips on some of the larger ships. We haven't sailed on one of the newer Princess ships with the Vines wine bar or International Café yet, so I can't comment on those. Sorry.

Activities: Both lines offer a variety of shows in their main showrooms - honestly, we haven't been overly impressed with most of what either line has to offer. Nightlife tends to be a little more lively and stays open longer on the Carnival ships. Both lines also have sports activities and "pool games" going on throughout the day (primarily on sea days).

Fellow Passengers: Both lines appeal to all ages, with CCL attracting a slightly younger crowd. You will read where past passengers will complain about unruly kids running wild on there last cruise, etc... But to be honest, it depends more on when you sail (school holidays, etc.), the length of the cruise, and the itinerary than on which line you sail.

Atmosphere: Carnival is known for their over-the-top "Las Vegas-style" decor on most of it's ships. Princess, on the other hand has more of a subdued and elegant feel to their decor. To be honest, I can't say we have a preference, although this is a "make-or-break" item for many cruisers.

Enjoyed reading your post. Well researched & most informative!

Have happy cruisin'!

Archived