A Really Tacky Question

Ships R Great

Personally, I think honesty is the best policy. Something like:

Dear TA,

Thank you for your thoughtful gesture, we appreciate it. But in future, can you please not send fruit, it simply goes to waste.

~*~

As for bringing fruit off the ship, I've seen the dogs in many ports going through the bags and the passengers. In Chile they made everyone from the ship line up in two rows, separating our bags from our person and had the dogs inspect both the bags and the people separately. My mother had a false positive and they went through her bags with a fine tooth comb. In many countries, including Canada, Mexico, the USA and Chile bringing fruit into the country is punished with a large fine (payable immediately) and in some cases jail time. And pleading ignorance doesn't work. For example in Canada it says "Administrative penalties of up to $400 may be imposed or prosecution may be pursued if you do not declare restricted or prohibited items."

~*~

Putter, my agent often sends me a gift or at least some OBC. I don't think I have yet been on a cruise where she hasn't.

You might try taking the fruit to the Customer Service desk or the Spa/Fitness Center - where staff may enjoy while working. A few years back one of the chefs on a ship sent us a whole tray of fancy chocolates, way more than we could enjoy as part of a cocktail party we had in our cabin. We did not want it to go to waste, so we took it to the Customer Service desk, the staff was delighted.

Another thought, if the fruit is packaged and delivered by the ship -- you could refused it and ask whether you could have the "dollar value" applied to a bottle of wine.

Our travel agent often sends us a bottle of sparkling wine which we don't like, so we ask if we may apply the dollar value to a bottle of wine we do like, generally no problem. Have done this many times.

Boy we would be gratelful for some gift from our TA. On our last 2 very expensive 14 day cruises we have received nothing from our TA. As of Jan 20th our TA became our former TA.

Our TA gives us really great stuff. The last time it was a nice looking ship's logo backpack in tan canvas with leather trim. But we do give her a lot of business!

Archived