Coki Beach - been there recently?

TwinCruiserMom

I really want to try Coki Beach as I have heard the snorkeling there is just fantastic! We have been to Sapphire twice, so we hoped that Coki would be a good choice. There is only our ship in port that day so it should not be crowded.

Now, I am getting a little concerned as I have read different posts that mention that the beach area has lots of garbage, it is dirty, smelly and someone even mentioned rats :eek:

What is the true story about the current conditions at Coki Beach?

The area around Coki by most people's descriptions would be somewhat run down; this isn't anything new. The vendors on the beach are in small booths/shacks, some nicer than others. There is a small cemetary just behind the treeline of the beach. Parking isn't well laid out so cars pretty much park where they can, the parking can look hectic. The bathroom is a public restroom... you know how they can be... hit or miss. Its possiable there could be rats around anywhere there is food being thrown in garbage cans... not what you want to see and I never have at Coki but its always possiable.

Some Coki & Sapphire info...

Both Sapphire and Coki are pretty beaches. Coki is a very small beach. Sapphire is longer but also not a very long beach when looking at the sandy part only. Coki has a gentler slope in the water than Sapphire which deepens more quickly. Coki is usually very calm, and Sapphire calm. Coki is usually super clear, Sapphire also clear. Regarding calm and clear; this is the usual status but in both cases it depends on weather systems affecting the water and possibly stirring up the sand. Both are sandy, Sapphire has some pebbles mixed in with the sand around mid-beach and then has a lot of pebbles/coral rubble on the far right side, sandy on the left side. Sapphire has resort/condo/marina developments around/near it; the area is maintained accordingly. The area before/around Coki is a bit seedy. Coki has various vendors that sell drinks, food, souvenirs/gifts and they are housed in small booths along the beach. The vendors approach beachgoers to take drink orders and to sell their wares, rent chairs and so on. Sapphire doesn't have vendors. Both places have food/drink. At Coki there is food/drink service on the beach. Burgers, chicken, sandwiches and the like are available. Sapphire there is a small place a short walk from the shoreline that sells burgers, fish sandwich, beer/soda a few mixed drinks and a couple other things and also beach wait staff taking orders for the restaurant up at the condos. Taxis are available at both places. If you are renting a car and driving; parking is readily available at Sapphire. Parking is limited at Coki but if you get there early you can get a good spot. Do not park in Coral World's parking spaces unless you are going there. Watersports; Coki has snorkeling, dive shop and across the street there are jet skis. Sapphire has kayaks, windsurfers, snorkeling, dive shop at the watersports booth on the beach. They can also book jet skis and parasailing which are located around the corner from the beach at the marina. Both have chairs for rent. Coki has umbrellas for rent, Sapphire does not. Sapphire has natural shade on the right side under sea grape trees, and some on the left side also. Coki has little natural shade but there are a few shade providing trees along the shore.

--Islander

We want to do both coki beach and coral world. Our ship gets in at 10 and leaves at 8. Not sure what to do first. Does the beach get busier as the day goes on or less crowded. I see that coral world closes at 5. Is there a time when you should leave the beach. Also how much are chair rentals and snorkeling stuff. Thanks

We where just at Coki Beach middle of January. It was great. It is a tad bit run down, but not bad. We did snorkel there. It WAS great. Very clear. If you go around the rocks to the right side, it is even better. They do have vendors there and they are regularly walking around asking if you want drinks or food. We had a few blended drinks... if you drink, here is a tip, ask for a double shot, it is just $1 more. I have attached of photo of us at Coki Beach so you can see how beautiful the water is.

438050580_StTHOMAS.jpg.20358c517c96a6ad7a0382b6841d2164.jpg

Coki and Coral World are right next to each other. No problem doing both with your day in port. The beach usually gets busier toward mid-day as tours complete the shopping and tour parts and drop people off at the beach for the early afternoon. So you could do the beach first thing and then go to Coral World, they have showers so you could freshen up if you wanted to or just change out of the wet swimwear. Coral World also has lockers if you want to put away your beach stuff rather than carrying it around with you. Wouldn't hang out at Coki passed 5pm or thereabouts, and for sure not to or passed sunset - you might not find a taxi if you wait that late and also the area is a bit seedy... seedier at evening/nighttime.

Chair $5 and snorkel rentals $10/day.

--Islander

Thanks for the info on Coki :)

I know my sons will love to snorkel there so we will just have to ignore the less than stellar conditions around the beach area.

Sapphire did not look as nice this past December when we were there as it did the previous December. The beach was gorgeous but the patio area was boarded off in places, the convenience store was closed and the restrooms were beyond horrible. Still, we had a terrific time at the beach.

We were just there last week and the snorkeling was good. It is a pretty and smaller beach that did get busier as the day went on. Chairs were $5 each and you will get repeated offers for hair braiding, drinks, food, etc. Do not leave anything valuable alone anywhere. If you looked behind us, you could see some lurkers just waiting:D We enjoyed ourselves, but not sure if I would go back:)

Karen

• 3 weeks later...
We where just at Coki Beach middle of January. It was great. It is a tad bit run down, but not bad. We did snorkel there. It WAS great. Very clear. If you go around the rocks to the right side, it is even better. They do have vendors there and they are regularly walking around asking if you want drinks or food. We had a few blended drinks... if you drink, here is a tip, ask for a double shot, it is just $1 more. I have attached of photo of us at Coki Beach so you can see how beautiful the water is.

Kandlwed...you said go around the rocks to the right side...so do you mean towards Coral World? We are going to be there in 10 days :D My kids love to snorkel and I want to help them find a good spot.

Thanks so much!

J

Kandlwed...you said go around the rocks to the right side...so do you mean towards Coral World? We are going to be there in 10 days :D My kids love to snorkel and I want to help them find a good spot.

Thanks so much!

J

Hi,

I am so bad with directions and I really don't know where Coral World is, but, if you are facing the water standing on the beach, if you go around the rocks to the right, that was the best snorkeling we found.

Hope that helps and have a great time! :-)

Just back from Coki Beach and we were sad to have a rainy day in St. Thomas :(

The fish do not show themselves while it is raining, but after awhile it stopped and then we saw the fish! The area to the right by the rocks is the best.

It is a very run down beach and I was very careful to keep a close eye on our stuff. The government is trying to clean up the area so in another year and a half it should be like a new beach. Hopefully.

Archived