Thanks NCL Fairy! Happy Anniversary to us!

My husband and I have been reading these boards for a while now and never posted. (Yeah, we're virgin-posters, lol.) We couldn't help but share our exciting news with everyone since Cruise Critics members played such an intregal part in our amazing 15th Anniversary Cruise.

On January 12, 2009, I got a call from my husband while on my way home from work. He told me that he'd been planning a surprise for our 15th wedding anniversary but had gotten to a point where he needed my input. After arranging it with my one-in-a-million Mother-In-Law to watch our children and dog, he called NCL to plan a cruise. He had NCL on the other line and needed to know which ship and which itinerary I'd like to celebrate our anniversary on. This phone call was the beginning of our NCL cruise planning. Since our anniversary is on 2/16/09 we had the choice of going on the Dawn/7-day Eastern Caribbean or Pearl/7-day Western Caribbean. It was quite the decision. So many factors. Well, by this time I've made it home and was able to join our PCC and my husband on the call. We had been Western on the Caribbean Princess in July/Aug 2006 already but 3 out of the 4 ports of call were different. Cozumel was the port we'd already been to. Roatan, Belize City and Great Stirrup Cay would be new to us. THEN, there was Eastern on the Dawn with ports we've always wanted to see. So we took it to the next factor, age of the ship. The Pearl is still so new and very beautiful. The Dawn a bit older. Still not enough to make our decision. (Boy, our PCC was VERY patient!) So, we took it further, the staterooms available. The more desirable room was on the Pearl, a mini-suite. There was only a balcony stateroom on the Dawn. After tossing it around our decision was made. We chose the Pearl. I knew that we'd eventually go Eastern anyway one day as we've always wanted to but Roatan and Belize City, depending on our next cruiseline, we may not get that chance again. As of today, I still feel we made the right decision. We booked an AF under the library (quiet) on the Pearl!

With a month left until our cruise what do we do? We browse Cruise Critics boards. With so much time left, my husband, the researcher, found that the mini-suite on NCL was a bit smaller than the mini on Princess. He started perusing the boards here and viewing available rooms left on our ship. He fell in love with the AD and AE. This started the hours worth of page-refreshing hoping one would become available. Day after day, week after week. About 10 days ago (18 days before cruise date) we decided to call NCL and let them know that we'd be intrested in the AD or AE if one becomes available. We'd be willing to pay full price. That's when she advised that she could put us on a wait-list (that would only cost us $50 per person which would be applied to the upgrade price) but we'd have to pay "Brochure" price which was about $5,000. On similar cruises this room was priced about $1,899 per person. Apparently brochure price is not the same as prices online. We sadly declined but were still happy to have the AF we originally booked.

Around this time while on NCL's website we filled out the form to request a brohure. Not to obtain brochure prices but because we just wanted something in our hands to look at as we waited for our cruise. Well, we never received a brochure. We received a phone call (that stopped our hearts momentarily as we thought it was the fairy) from a consultant trying to sell us a cruise. It only took me telling her three times that we've already booked before she stopped asking us if we'd like to set something up for the summer. Still, no brochure. We've received 11 brochures, pamphlets and emails from Princess since then but no brochure from NCL. They sure don't make it easy to want to book a future cruise with them.

A few days ago, lo and behold, an AE opened up. I imagine the NCL fairy started their upsells. My husband ran to get his wallet, called NCL and was told that sure, he could upgrade to this suite. It would cost him an additional $1,400 ($700 per person) but we'd lose our $400 OBC rec'd from their promo that ended 2 days prior. What?! That made no sense to us. We earned the OBC when we booked our cruise. If we had booked a few days earlier we would have gotten an add'l $200 OBC to go up to the Suite category. We weren't even looking for the credit since the promotion was now over but how did they think they could take back the OBC based on the AF we booked and paid in full in Janury to pay more for an upgrade? We declined that so-called offer and were starting to get a bad feeling toward NCL's customer service.

And then it happened! While I was at work yesterday, I get an email from my husband, who apparently had to email rather than call so I couldn't hear the excitement in his voice, telling me that he has a surprise for me regarding our cruise. After a dozen or so emails, I knew he couldn't hold out much longer, and even though I love surprises, I couldn't bear not to know, he sprung it on me.

First he was offered our dream AE for only $600 total and we would keep our OBC. As tempting as this sounds, he, being the man that he is who has always done things to the hilt, especially when it comes to me, took it to the next level (or five!). Knowing that this may be a once in a lifetime opportunity, he inquired about even more special of a suite. The fairy then offered him a Courtyard Villa for $720 per person add'l. Although he knew this was a great deal, he took the advice of the Cruise Critics members and counter-offered at $500 per person more. She told him that this offer was non-negotiable. With that said, he booked us a COURTYARD VILLA (A4)!!!!

We're an average middle-class family who is happy and satisfied with average life. We're feeling the pinch in this economy like everyone else. However, when it comes to me and our children, my husband won't accept average. He always finds a way to make our times together extraordinary and unforgettable.

OMG! We have a Courtyard Villa! 7 days in Paradise! We STILL can't contain ourselves.

Thank you Cruise Critic friends for all of your invaluable information.

Thank you NCL Fairy.

Our 15th Anniversary is one we'll NEVER forget!

P.S. A gigantic THANK YOU! to you especially, hubby! Not only for booking our dream vacation but for asking me to be your wife all those years ago! THAT was the best decision I ever made.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your story!

I feel your joy!

I got an upsell to the CV 4 days ago and I've been on cloud nine since. I understand when you say -we are a middle class family feeling the pinch in this economy-...and I just couldn't resist either. Everyone has their passions, mine is cruising. I am so glad I was given the opportunity to cruise in the CV. I am keeping it a secret from my kids ( which is very difficult hahahah - but only one more week and I can explode the news!)

Have a great anniversary! ENJOY everything! Your husband did a great job!

I can't believe how NICE everyone is here on CC! I feel like all the time I've spent reading and not posting on these boards was missed opportunities to "meet" you all. You've made us feel so welcome.

OMG, Familyof4, I'm so excited for you too! Yay! Same day, different boat. We'll have to coodinate better next time! lol We have two boys, 13 and 14.

I hadn't even researched the CV before yesterday because I didn't even think it was a possibility. Your kids are going to love it. So much room to swim and play. Now we're afraid we might not even want to get off at the ports!

Wishing the fairy is so kind to everyone else! <fingers crossed>

WOW CONGRATS!!! That was a great story! I will be on the same cruise. My husband and I have a aft mini suite. I am thrilled with that but am keeping my fingers crossed for the upsell fairy to call me. But even if it doesnt I know I will have a great ime. But your story is indeed a once in a lifetime one. A COURTYARD VILLA !!! How wonderful for you and your husband. Iam afraid that you may indeed be spoiled forever now. Enjoy.

I can't believe how NICE everyone is here on CC! I feel like all the time I've spent reading and not posting on these boards was missed opportunities to "meet" you all. You've made us feel so welcome.

OMG, Familyof4, I'm so excited for you too! Yay! Same day, different boat. We'll have to coodinate better next time! lol We have two boys, 13 and 14.

I hadn't even researched the CV before yesterday because I didn't even think it was a possibility. Your kids are going to love it. So much room to swim and play. Now we're afraid we might not even want to get off at the ports!

Wishing the fairy is so kind to everyone else! <fingers crossed>

Check out these pics:

http://www.depping-design.de/test/thumbnails.php?album=75

My boys are 10 and 13. They were hoping it would happen ( mom talks too much ;) about cruising). Everyday they get home from school and ask if NCL called. I told them I guess it's not going to happen. They will not realize it until we put the key in the elevator to get to the 14th floor( because we have priority embark from being Platinum Latitudes).

Congratulations! We got the great upsale back in Dec on the Pearl to the courtyard villa and I will tell you that you will feel so special. Not sure if we could ever go back to regular balcony...lol. They called us just days before and it was my ds (20 yr old) first cruise, so needless to he was totally spoiled. We had Lani as our butler but from what i read someone else is there right now. We had Charlie as the courtyard butler and he was totally great. We had breakfast in the courtyard a couple of mornings you order from Charlie. there were daily snacks. And during the day there was cold water, tea, coffee and juice in the courtyard. Wow I could just go on and on (sorry). If you have any questions just ask. Have a great trip.

Archived