Best Cruise line for traveling with Teens?

John's Girl

My 20 yr. old college junior daughter and 15 year old high school freshman son are begging me to go on a cruise. Does anyone have advice on what cruise line would be the best fit for them? I have been on 2 Celebrity cruises, and am going on another one in March, but at 43 I feel like one of the youngest on the ship and think they would not like the "old" atmosphere. Any suggestions? We would likely do a Caribbean cruise. They may actually be willing to do Disney, but will they feel too old on that one?

I appreciate any advice!

Given their ages and that they're the ones pushing for this -- I'd make them do some research and come up with some proposals for you. Maybe give them a budget range so if they come up with something totally outrageous that you have to shoot down, you won't come off as a super bad guy. But it seems like at that age, they'll be happier with the choice if they've been completely involved in the process. Will also save you some research time...;)

Have the same scenario as the OP. My daughter is a freshman in college, son is 15 and younger daughter is 9.

We have cruised Princess and Royal Caribbean! My main concern was the oldest daughter and meeting others her age. They loved both lines, but they give the extra nod to Royal because of the extra activities offered. The 19 year old spent a lot of time with us on Princess, whereas she met 2 other friends on Royal and she still keeps in touch with them. I think you will find more 40ish olds on Royal vs. Princess as well! Although, my wife and I love both lines equally.

If you do choose Royal, a freedom class ship or voyager class ship is best. Also, we were subject to her spring break which helped in meeting others her own age. Royal had a group meeting for 18-21 year olds which helped us tremendously! :)

Thank you so much! Glad to hear from someone who has "been there and done that!" While very friendly, polite and outgoing, my kids never wanted to participate in "kids" programs, so I was hoping to find something where there will be opportunities to meet at the pool, etc. Any other suggestions from anyone are still very welcome!

Have the same scenario as the OP. My daughter is a freshman in college, son is 15 and younger daughter is 9.

We have cruised Princess and Royal Caribbean! My main concern was the oldest daughter and meeting others her age. They loved both lines, but they give the extra nod to Royal because of the extra activities offered. The 19 year old spent a lot of time with us on Princess, whereas she met 2 other friends on Royal and she still keeps in touch with them. I think you will find more 40ish olds on Royal vs. Princess as well! Although, my wife and I love both lines equally.

If you do choose Royal, a freedom class ship or voyager class ship is best. Also, we were subject to her spring break which helped in meeting others her own age. Royal had a group meeting for 18-21 year olds which helped us tremendously! :)

Ditto, that! They're too old for Disney, but RCI will be just right! And, your Celebrity "status" will transfer to RCI! What more could you want?

Only if they're at the Select level of the Captain's club. The Classic/Gold levels do not receive the reciprocal benefits. With only two cruises on Celebrity (make that three after the March cruise), they wouldn't be Select level unless they were on 12+ night cruises and/or in Concierge class or suites. (Also should mention that credits earned on RCI will not be added to their Celebrity credits. Cruises on Celebrity earn credits only for Celebrity status; cruises on RCI earn credits only for RCI status; the two are not combined into one number.)

I concur that RCI would be ideal for those ages.

beachchick

My son in his teens had a fantastic time on NCL. I have to say that Royal Caribbean is fun but I felt the atmosphere was "family"- meaning young children and the extended family.

NCL has many more twentysomethings and more teens from my experience. I really think NCL is a better choice. I have a 21 year old and I think he would feel that he was on a "kiddy" cruise on Royal Caribbean.

There are many more eating venues on NCL and it is very casual. My son, age 21 and his friends are all going on the NCL Dawn and they chose it from everything else out there.

Ooh you make me nervous about going on Celebrity! I am taking 4 teens/preteens. We have always had a GREAT time on NCL (the only line they have been on). They are still asking me why the next one isnt on NCL!!! I just wanted to try a more upscale experience. Hope I haven't doomed them!!!!

You are going to love the Summit. Don't worry- your kids are going to like it too. I didn't mean to scare you. I was referring to RC, which is fun for all ages but I felt that it was geared more to the 10 and under crowd- with the H2O Zone, video arcade etc.

Celebrity is more upscale but teens will have fun onboard. They will have to seek it out though. The ships are classic ocean liners and there is no rock climbing wall or waterslide, etc. There is a teen hangout and lots of teen activities. They will meet other kids and have fun.

Now, I see you are going April 11 and that won't be the week that most kids are off school. Kids get out the week before Easter and they go back to school on April 13. This is good and bad. Good because the pool won't be a modscene and bad because there may only be 100 kids onboard and most will be pre-school age.

Now, I see you are going April 11 and that won't be the week that most kids are off school. Kids get out the week before Easter and they go back to school on April 13. This is good and bad. Good because the pool won't be a modscene and bad because there may only be 100 kids onboard and most will be pre-school age.

My son's school and many around here are off the week AFTER Easter, so it will probably have kids!

im 21. i have a 19 y/o sister and a 15 y/o brother. at first we didnt like holland americe cruises because they werent like our princess cruise where the teen club was so much fun and we made friends for life. however, on holland, u dont have to worry much about little kids screaming and hogging the pools because it is a more sophisticated crowd. there are still plenty of things to do and there still are some kids on board. but they just are not to the extremes that some cruise lines are.

i think u should ask your kids what they want. do they want to do the teen club? or will they be only hanging out together?

princess- fun teen club

royal- parents let their little kids do whatever (this includes running around in the middle of the night knocking on doors)

holland- sophisticated, an older crowd, but still fun

Archived