Carnival Customer Dis-Service

SINYFam

Someone in this thread said that they thought that you could only bring on 1 bottle of each. Could it be that they confiscated the other bottles for that reason? if you walk up with 3 bottles, are you allowed to bring them on, or does CCL take them? If they do take it, are you given it back at the end of the cruise? I don't drink, so this is a eal question. This does not explain how it got on the wrong ship, but rather how the returned items were 4 bottles short. Now I want to see who will end up paying for this?

Good point there!! And it says in the contract cofiscated without being returned.

Excuse me, but i read your post and I didn't see how it was even Carnival's problem! You stated that your booze got delivered to the wrong ship. So, wouldn't that be the store from Galveston's problem???? Hello. anyone there? The store was doing delivery right?

If I order pizza from an outside pizza vendor to be delivered to hotel room 333, and it gets delivered to a different room even though the different room did not reject the pizza, then how on earth are you expecting me to say it's the hotel's fault??? Its the deliverer's fault and no other! RIGHT? I would hold the pizza delivery people responsible not the hotel [which had nothing to do with the mixup]. After all, its not like they deliver to Carnival HQ, and then Carnival people deliver it. Each ship is its own destination ("hotel").

This is not about "cheerleading" Carnival, it's about what's actually right people!

I do not tolerate idiocy.

First of all, the Ecstasy leaves ONE day before the Conquest. Thus, Carnival is NOT to blame, but the liquor store is to blame.

Do not blame the error on Carnival when they had nothing to do with it but sign that they accepted the package. They likely did not look at the package to see it was for the Conquest and not the Ecstasy because turn around day is insane! All one has to see is the number of trucks and people moving around to know that the only real items checked are our bags when we drop them off at the pier!!!

Your credit card company should refund the money because of the liquor stores error. The liquor store should be the one you are complaining about, not Carnival..

How is it that if Carnival signed for the package then THEY are not responsible? I don't get the logic behind that thinking. If they didn't want to be responsible for the package they could have easily refused to sign and accept the delivery. Since they did sign for and accept delivery then they ARE responsible.

The Credit Card company is not obligated to refund anything, the OP can submit a dispute to the charge and the Credit Card company will investigate and decide if the charge is legit or not, so the OP has little control over getting the $$$ back.

Hilarious! This is in no way Carnivals fault. But a stop and CC charge and your out nothign. Move on.

Of course this is the answer, as I have said all along. What the OP is really upset about I think is that

a. He probably feels he overpaid of the cruise. Yes just an assumption on my part, but we all know a NYE cruise has to be higher.

b. And this is the real reason, I THINK, is that he didn't have his stuff to drink on NYE, thus, he probably had a bigger bar bill than he planned for.:D

But for goodness sakes, he is out nothing regarding the $400, it is on the CC and will be disputed. However, they may only cover part of the $400 as he did receive some of the bottles, right.

Sorry folks (meaning Carnival cheerleaders) the legality of the contract is with the signature. If the OP has proof that an agent of Carnival signed for the pkg. then Carnival has accepted liability for delivering that pkg. to the OP in the same manner that they accept liability for luggage.
BZZZZZ...that's not correct, but thanks for playing.

The signature only acknowledges that a delivery was made. It is not a transfer of liability.

P.S. I've never been on a Carnival ship, so I can't be condemned as a cheerleader.

I underlined this in the OP post:

I did pay with a credit card, the store did their job by getting our gift bags to the port when allowed (TX law does not allow sale on Sunday, so the package was delivered on Saturday). They got a signature, so Carnival did accept the package (and as far as I'm concerned the responsbility). Since when is a Company not responsible for the actions of its employees? (Try that line in court and the judge will laugh.)

My joke was about having alcohol on a Sunday at a Cowboys game. Which according to the OP is not allowed. As we all know, there is always an exception to any rule/law if the price is right:D.

TX has crazy liquor laws; you know that TX residents can only bring back two liters of alcohol from a cruise?? It makes us so sad...

And, it is true; TX does not sell liquor on Sundays. So, if you want more than beer or wine on a Sunday, you have to 1) go to a restaurant or bar and be served or 2) stock up on Saturday night, while the liquor stores are still open :D

Wow, sorry, I totally forgot about the fact that Carnival signed for the stuff but then lost it in transit. Still, dispute the card charge and then the OP can only hope Carnival admits their mistake. I don't believe they will, but I think they should in goodwill. They could have just given him the equal amount from their wine cellar.

What would Carnival do if a passenger ordered a bottle of wine at dinner and then when they tasted it claimed it was not up to snuff? Take it back, send over the Sommiliaer (sp), throw the bottle out. This stuff must happen all the time and it would have really been no big deal to just give the OP a few extra bottles. I know he didn't want the Asti, but did he expect Dom?:confused: I really hope not because who in their right mind would?

This thread is just a whole lot of negative publicity for Carnival, a line I love, btw.

Also, I never would have ordered from an outside source....too many things can and do/did go wrong!

Why did it get delivered a day early??? It should have gotten delivered day of. And, it could also be that the store made a mistake in saying "deliver this to the ecstacy." Even if the op told the store clearly which ship, or maybe he just said "we're sailing carnival", it doesn't matter. The store could have mislabeled it. It's as if they did, if it got delivered on the wrong day!

And yes, if it was mislabeled to the Carnival Ecstacy, then Carnival should have accepted and signed for it! Again, this is not a Carnival problem. If they weren't sure who the recipient was, if that was in question, then the Ecstacy did right in accepting it with the idea, they sort it out later. After all, it would have been worse if someone from the Ecstacy ordered this, and the Ecstacy rejected the delivery because they could not verify if the passenger was on board or not. This would have been worse.

I doubt the person on the curb accepting this delivery has access to passenger manifold and will spend time there verifying the passenger is on this sailing while the store people just sit and wait there. Come on people, be un-rediculous.

BZZZZZ...that's not correct, but thanks for playing.

The signature only acknowledges that a delivery was made. It is not a transfer of liability.

P.S. I've never been on a Carnival ship, so I can't be condemned as a cheerleader.

Sorry but still playing - under the doctrine of respondeat superior Carnival is responsible for the actions of its employees after the package was accepted and signed for. However, as I stated before, Carnival limits its liability in its contract with the op. That signature does indeed carry weight. The correct procedure should have been to refuse the package. For those suggesting that the op dispute the charges with his cc, those actions transfer the financial responsibility to Spec's and unless the weigh bill was incorrectly addressed, would be wrong to do so.

This thread is just a whole lot of negative publicity for Carnival, a line I love, btw.

I don't see it that way at all.

The negative publicity is to the liquor establishment.

BTW, I hope no one sends me a package, I sign for it (BIGIF), and then am held responsible for it. :eek:

This could be anyone's fault.. Do you know if there were other deliveries from the store on this day? Can you get a copy of the manifest?

Perhaps it was mislabeled or the packing slip fell off?

Could be a number of reasons, but the responsibiltiy usually lies with the shipper..

Good Luck

Best to brink your wine, legal and otherwise, with you. Buy when you get to the port city or use the Carnival group. So much for using wine dot com to get some wonderful stuff for onboard. Or maybe I'll see if the hotel can assure me that they will hold it. Certainly I've had things shipped to my hotel in advance of my arrival many times, and never had a problem. On the other hand, the hotel is usually not having 3000+ guests leave and check in at the same time.

Specs is good for wines? I know that there are about 4 stores between the international airport and the dock. And we have a rental car, so that may be the easiest answer.

I underlined this in the OP post:

I did pay with a credit card, the store did their job by getting our gift bags to the port when allowed (TX law does not allow sale on Sunday, so the package was delivered on Saturday). They got a signature, so Carnival did accept the package (and as far as I'm concerned the responsbility). Since when is a Company not responsible for the actions of its employees? (Try that line in court and the judge will laugh.)

My joke was about having alcohol on a Sunday at a Cowboys game. Which according to the OP is not allowed. As we all know, there is always an exception to any rule/law if the price is right:D.

Spec's got a signature. From who? A Carnival employee? Named__________________?

A port security person?

A PORTER?????????

The Spec's delivery person?

His BIL?

And how does a signature from anybody trump an unauthorized delivery?

The OP figured he could beat Bon Voyage prices---------------he didn't

Dan

By way of reading the responses, some people think Carnival can do no wrong, (guess you guys live in different world from me). :rolleyes:

Just to be clear...

It was a member of Carnival's Embarkation staff that signed for my package. The signed receipt was clearly marked with the ship name, our family names, cabin numbers and the contents of the gift bags. We were 11 people, 6 adults - so the 3 wine/3 champagne was within Carnival's limits. The store, Specs verified the policy/limits to us when I ordered. I ordered (rather than carried) because we were flying in from NY and didn't want to carry these items from NY.

I also received numerous recommendations from this site on which store to use for this order. So maybe some of those bashing me now, are the same ones that thought this was a good idea when I floated it in December?:confused:

I did ask if there was anyway to get the bags from the Estacy to our ship, I was told they would not be visiting the same ports we were ahead of us. I was also told that the packages were to be brought back to the Galveston port and held for us, this also did not happen.

I posted this now, because I did not want to bash Carnival, we called them, provided them proof of delivery, acceptance and, their own ship staff backed up our claim as they were the ones that found most of this out. All of our attempts to get our bags secured on the Estacy for return to us were done within the first 24 hours of our leaving port. Both the staff on the Conquest and the staff on the Estacy knew there was an issue.

As for security, yes airlines and cruise lines have different rules but, since when is it reasonable for any organization that has some level of responsibility for the public's safety to accept a package for someone that is not even registered on that vessle??? Here in NY that would be considered an unclaimed/unattended package and worthy of a look by the police or, in this case, security. Apparently security means something different outside of NY.:confused:

Carnival had an opportunity to (1) make good on this and see that their customer was happy with the resolution, (2) review their policy/practices for accepting packages delivered to their ports and, (3) change their procedures to ensure packages are matched up to passengers. They chose to do nothing, guess customer service at the corporate level means nothing.:mad:

I additional comment, all of the on-board staff worked to bring a positive resolution to this, so they did their jobs and did it well. :) However, the corporate staff could use some training from their on-board staff.;)

Hey Dan...sometimes it pays to read all of the posts before you comment...

The OP figured he could beat Bon Voyage prices---------------he didn'tDan

I don't understand this line of hostility- Carnival allows you to bring a bottle of wine per adult on board with you. There were 11 adults, and there were to be 6 bottles. Bon Voyage is onboard and I think you can order as much as you want from them, including hard liquor. Aren't you mixing apples and oranges here? Or if we bring on our 4 bottles (one per each adult traveling) would you consider that we were trying to beat Bon Voyage prices, too? Until recently this was a time honored tradition- having things sent to you to the port. I'm pretty sure this was just a case of human error. Things happen sometimes- it is not necessary to assume some nefarious plot.

I don't understand this line of hostility- Carnival allows you to bring a bottle of wine per adult on board with you. There were 11 adults, and there were to be 6 bottles. Bon Voyage is onboard and I think you can order as much as you want from them, including hard liquor. Aren't you mixing apples and oranges here? Or if we bring on our 4 bottles (one per each adult traveling) would you consider that we were trying to beat Bon Voyage prices, too? Until recently this was a time honored tradition- having things sent to you to the port. I'm pretty sure this was just a case of human error. Things happen sometimes- it is not necessary to assume some nefarious plot.

This is a person that used Cruise Critic to search for his supplier. He found Spec's here on CC. It was recommended to him by a CC poster. Now it is our fault for not recommending BV to him?

And trying to save a couple of bucks HARDLY qualifies as a "NEFARIOUS" plot.

IS Spec's authorized to deliver to Carnival? I don't think so, but I do not KNOW. Do you?

And if I were him, my battle would be with the company that has my money and that would be Spec's.

And as others have already said, dispute the credit card charges. With Spec's.

We are all cruise posters, not the parents of the oppressed.

Dan

Assuming carnival received, and held, the OP's wine, it became a bailee. Since Carnival received no compensation or other benefit for doing so, the bailment was strictly for the benefit of the bailor (either the OP or the liquor store, depending upon how you look at it). When a bailment is for the benefit of the bailor, the bailee is liable only for gross negligence. (Think of a friend storing some boxes of stuff in your garage for a few years while he "gets settled"). The difference between slight, ordinary and gross negligence is usually described as the difference between a fool, a damn fool and a goddamn fool. Unless Carnival was grossly negligent, it bears no legal responsibility.

Assuming carnival received, and held, the OP's wine, it became a bailee. Since Carnival received no compensation or other benefit for doing so, the bailment was strictly for the benefit of the bailor (either the OP or the liquor store, depending upon how you look at it). When a bailment is for the benefit of the bailor, the bailee is liable only for gross negligence. (Think of a friend storing some boxes of stuff in your garage for a few years while he "gets settled"). The difference between slight, ordinary and gross negligence is usually described as the difference between a fool, a damn fool and a goddamn fool. Unless Carnival was grossly negligent, it bears no legal responsibility.

Nice :D

There is no such thing as stopping a CC charge. We get told to stop payment all the time and have learned to quit explaining there is no such animal, waste of breath. Your charge is suspended while a dispute is in process. If they find in favor of the merchant it is rebilled. As simple as that. The merchant gets a chance to respond and then the dispute rep decides if the signed proof of delivery is there or not in a delivery dispute. If not signed by the buyer, then the merchant is charged back, unless you signed a waiver of some sort or in some cases you signed a arbitration clause, and waived the dispute process.

yes I know how it works and it's no big deal

thank you. Well put. I thought of saying the OP would have to prove negligence on the part of the Carnival worker, but didnt want to go into that and confuse the issue.

You put it so there is no doubt who is responsible.

WOW, the posts here swing far and wide.

I ordered from Spec's not to beat any system, I got the impression from the posts that this was fairly common, guess not.

Too much for the cruise, no it was a good deal.

Who signed, a Carnival employee and her signature was quite clear.

The delivery receipt was clearly marked with ship name, date of departure, our names and our room numbers.

Where the product supposed to be held, in some sort of lock-up I was led to believe.

The bottles that went missing were for a 90th birthday celebration dinner, we otherwise purchased wine with all other dinners.

What I don't get is why most posters here think Carnival bears no responsibility for something getting lost. If you sign for it, you take responsibility for it (at least that how it works in my business).

What did I expect from Carnival, I expected them to take responsibility for the actions of their employees.

What did I expect from posters here, certainly not what many of have done. So sorry to have wasted your time.

BYE

WOW, the posts here swing far and wide.

I ordered from Spec's not to beat any system, I got the impression from the posts that this was fairly common, guess not.

Too much for the cruise, no it was a good deal.

Who signed, a Carnival employee and her signature was quite clear.

The delivery receipt was clearly marked with ship name, date of departure, our names and our room numbers.

Where the product supposed to be held, in some sort of lock-up I was led to believe.

The bottles that went missing were for a 90th birthday celebration dinner, we otherwise purchased wine with all other dinners.

What I don't get is why most posters here think Carnival bears no responsibility for something getting lost. If you sign for it, you take responsibility for it (at least that how it works in my business).

What did I expect from Carnival, I expected them to take responsibility for the actions of their employees.

What did I expect from posters here, certainly not what many of have done. So sorry to have wasted your time.

BYE

I am one of the posters that agrees that Carnival not only should take responsibility but legally can be forced to. However, and it is a huge however, Carnival's liability is limited by the cruise contract and under that contract, their liability is limited to $50. The moral, even when your right, you will be expletived over by the cruise company if they choose to do so when it comes to your belongings.

Now come over to the "Do I need a letter from the other parent to take my child on a cruise" thread...please. :D

My attorney must have left home without his IPhone today....

Archived