Can anyone advise Christchurch to Akaroa Dolphin Swim?

Kaylas Mom

Hi everyone? I am trying to book myself on the Akaroa Dolphin swim with Black Cat, but I have a question about transportation. So far, the only transportation I have found from Christchurch to Akaroa is the Akaroa Shuttle, and they are telling me I need to be at the bus stop in Christchurch by 8:30.

I'm on the Millenium which is supposed to dock in Lyttleton at 7 am. Does anyone know if I have time to get off the ship and get to the square in Christchurch in time for the Akaroa shuttle?

OR,

does anyone have a better idea? or, know of a tour company that picks up at the ship or in Lyttleton to swim with dolphins? Is it easier just to rent a car?

Many thanks!!!

Hi everyone? I am trying to book myself on the Akaroa Dolphin swim with Black Cat, but I have a question about transportation. So far, the only transportation I have found from Christchurch to Akaroa is the Akaroa Shuttle, and they are telling me I need to be at the bus stop in Christchurch by 8:30.

I'm on the Millennium which is supposed to dock in Lyttelton at 7 am. Does anyone know if I have time to get off the ship and get to the square in Christchurch in time for the Akaroa shuttle?

OR,

does anyone have a better idea? or, know of a tour company that picks up at the ship or in Lyttelton to swim with dolphins? Is it easier just to rent a car?

Many thanks!!!

We went with the Lyttelton Shuttle cruiseship tour to Akaroa, but did the Black cat harbour tour. Had plenty of time to catch the bus by 8:30 we were off the ship by 8, and was waiting on the dock for us. Now about the swimming with dolphins I know nothing except we saw the dolphins on the harbor tour and they are wonderful, much smaller than regular ones 3-4' long and very playful and even tempered which isn't always true of dolphins. They are different colored too. And the drive to Akaroa is spectacular, and it is a lovely little Victorian style village. We bought lunch at a Fish & Chips place...was great...but unless you like Tons of fries, order ,I was told, a "half scoop of chips" must have gotten 2-3# of plank style frys with 2 orders or 1 fish and 1 "hotdog on stick" (stick w/the fish it was great!)They get you back in plenty of time, but not sure if the cruiseship tour includes the swimming with the dolphins, am not at all sure you could get into Christchurch as it is quite a ways...we didn't even go into it as Akaroa is an opposite direction

Two comments, 1) the water will be absolutely freezing, 2) chances of swimming with them are slim and in my experience you get a much better view from the boat than in the water which is murky and they are very timid.

Don't pin your hopes on swimming...

Archived