Sea aquarium in Curacao - dolphin encounter?

wifey526

I was wondering if anyone has done the dolphin encounter on there own, I have heard different stories on this. we are going there on March 11 with AOS and would like to go on our own since only my husband and son will be doing it but i would like to watch, and if we do it through the ship i will have to pay full price for a ticket ($119) I look forward to anyones response.

We have booked the Swim with the Dolphin Excursion on March 18th on the AOS. I called Royal Caribbean about others in our group wanting to go and watch the Swim with the Dolphins excursion and they told me to inquire with guest relations when we board. They would probably pay a minimal fee for the bus ride and admission to the aquarium, if there was room.

I think that was what you were asking.

TerryJW

I was wondering if anyone has done the dolphin encounter on there own, I have heard different stories on this. we are going there on March 11 with AOS and would like to go on our own since only my husband and son will be doing it but i would like to watch, and if we do it through the ship i will have to pay full price for a ticket ($119) I look forward to anyones response.

I tried , but couldn't because the 2 cruise ships in port that day had booked all the spots. Really disappointed because the cruise line sets a higher minimum age than the Seaquarium does, so my DS can't go after all. :(

• 1 month later...

We just got back from our cruise on Sunday (Royal Caribbean AOS). We did the Dolphin Swim. We booked it through the ship. It was AMAZING!! My 11 year old daughter said it was her favorite excursion that we did the whole week. They have someone that takes pictures and someone that video tapes your entire experience. Its optional to buy either one. We bought both! They take you into the water in groups. We had 7 people in our group with 3 dolphins. I wouldn't hesitate to book it if I was you. Excellent Excursion!!

How was the excursion? I am wanting to do this next February.

As Haileysmom said, it was wonderful. We were lucky to have 6 people in our group that were all our friends and family, so the pictures and video were even that much more valuable to us. At $135 it was worth having it for everyone. We could have used a third dolphin though. My 65 year old mother-in-law with two bad hips even did the swim, which ended up a little painful swimming with the flippers on, but she said she would have done it again in a heartbeat.

One piece of advice I would have is to remember you are very bouyant in salt water and you don't have to tread water with the flippers as much as you do in fresh water. I haven't swam in salt water very much so I was getting very tired. Then I just relaxed and let the bouyancy takeover and it was much more enjoyable.

My wife did the dolphin encounter, which she enjoyed very much. She is a little more skittish around animals. Between the two I would definitely do the Swim over the Encounter.

• 3 weeks later...
As Haileysmom said, it was wonderful. We were lucky to have 6 people in our group that were all our friends and family, so the pictures and video were even that much more valuable to us. At $135 it was worth having it for everyone. We could have used a third dolphin though. My 65 year old mother-in-law with two bad hips even did the swim, which ended up a little painful swimming with the flippers on, but she said she would have done it again in a heartbeat.

One piece of advice I would have is to remember you are very bouyant in salt water and you don't have to tread water with the flippers as much as you do in fresh water. I haven't swam in salt water very much so I was getting very tired. Then I just relaxed and let the bouyancy takeover and it was much more enjoyable.

My wife did the dolphin encounter, which she enjoyed very much. She is a little more skittish around animals. Between the two I would definitely do the Swim over the Encounter.

Hey Terry is that $135.00 PP? Adults same price as kids? How long is it?

Thanks

Thanks for your response. Looking forward to it!!!!

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone! We did the Dolphin Swim last week and it was amazing! We were a group of six with two dolphins to interact with and as a plus, two "untouchable" baby dolphins swimming around us.

We booked with RCI and paid $215 each for the swim and $125 for the "optional" but must have DVD and Photo CD :D Observers fee was $45

The price included admission to the aquarium and taxi's round trip fare, but they pick you up in a little more than two hours, not enough time to enjoy the aquarium. We stayed for almost two more hours and paid $5 p/p for a taxi. We saw Dolphin and Sea Lions shows and got a chance to even touch sharks!!

Our daughters were picked to stay after the Sea Lions Demonstration and receive Sea Lion kisses. And as you would imagine... the chance to buy the photo for another $10 (which we did :o)

This was our most expensive tour, but we really enjoyed it. If you have the opportunity... Go for it!

• 2 months later...

Hi. Would you give me some details on what the observer fee includes?

I believe that would be for transport and entrance fees to the park, is this correct? Was anything else included?

I'm wondering if my dd and I should do the encounter and have my dh and fil take a taxi to Mambo Beach where they can wait for use for free?

Do you think that would be a good feasible?

• 2 months later...
We just got back from our cruise on Sunday (Royal Caribbean AOS). We did the Dolphin Swim. We booked it through the ship. It was AMAZING!! My 11 year old daughter said it was her favorite excursion that we did the whole week. They have someone that takes pictures and someone that video tapes your entire experience. Its optional to buy either one. We bought both! They take you into the water in groups. We had 7 people in our group with 3 dolphins. I wouldn't hesitate to book it if I was you. Excellent Excursion!!

I have booked directly through the Dolphin Academy for the Dolphin Swim (paid confirmation with confirmation number already printed up) and have been looking for others experiences with it.

It is great to know that there will be someone to take photos and video of it for me, since hubby will be off on an Ostrich Farm excursion during my swim.

How for from the 2 piers is the Academy? And could I get there easily with my scooter or must I take a taxi? And if a Taxi, what cost?

OH YES, one more important question.. Do I have to buy a ticket to see the Seaquariam seperatly or is that included?

Thanks in advance

Joanie

• 4 weeks later...

I have booked directly through the Dolphin Academy for the Dolphin Swim (paid confirmation with confirmation number already printed up) and have been looking for others experiences with it.

It is great to know that there will be someone to take photos and video of it for me, since hubby will be off on an Ostrich Farm excursion during my swim.

How for from the 2 piers is the Academy? And could I get there easily with my scooter or must I take a taxi? And if a Taxi, what cost?

OH YES, one more important question.. Do I have to buy a ticket to see the Seaquariam seperatly or is that included?

Thanks in advance

Joanie

I suggest you take the taxi.

You wil not have to pay to see the aquarium or the exhibits. But you'll need money for food, photos, dvd and souveniers.

Have fun!

I suggest you take the taxi.

You wil not have to pay to see the aquarium or the exhibits. But you'll need money for food, photos, dvd and souveniers.

Have fun!

Do you know if they accept Credit Cards instead of cash?? I know Taxis will want cash, but the Seaquariam is my concern for Credit Cards, I imagine they do, since they accepted my Credit Card as payment but.....

Joanie

Do you know if they accept Credit Cards instead of cash?? I know Taxis will want cash, but the Seaquariam is my concern for Credit Cards, I imagine they do, since they accepted my Credit Card as payment but.....

Joanie

I imagine so... We used Traveler Checks

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the AOS in March of 2007 and did this excursion through the ship. I found out that the cruise lines book all the time slots when they are in port. So, if you want do this excursion you need to book it through the ship. This excursion was the highlight of our cruise and well worth the money. If I recall only six people took this ships tour--normally the group is much larger. So, we got more time with the instructor and the dolphins. You will be standing on a metal grid up to you waist during the dolphin encounter. The people for the aquarium will be taking pictures which you can purchase. I have a great shot with the dolphin giving me a kiss on the cheek and another one where I am holding the dolphin up out of the water. After your tour you will still have plenty of time to tour the port on your own.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone!

I am excited to see such good reviews! I am confused though.... I am not sure if Carnival is offering this on our cruise or not but do I have to book through the cruise line.... I was thinking I would just book on my own. Anyone have any thoughts on this? My husband and son just want to watch, my daughter and I want to swim with the dolphins.

Thanks a lot!

Erin

We are doing the Dolphin swim. If your ship offers either the swim or the encounter then you wont be able to book on your own, only through your ship. Our ship only offers the encounter so I was able to book the swim directly with the aquarium. hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

The Dolpjhin Academy can be booked on your own! I know, I just came off my B2B Eastern and Westerdam Caribbean Cruise and booked the Dolphon swim independently!

The Academy accepted my on line booking and knew that I was ont he Westerdam.

There are 12 Intercoastal Bottleneck dolphins that are used for both the Dolphin Encounters and Dolphin Swims. They have several coves and 6-10 people in each pf the sessions, which happen basically at the same time.

I arrived via taxi ($5.00 per person one way in groups of 4 or more, $20.00 per person if one person in vehicle.)

I was at the Academy approximately 20 minutes befor the Ship's Excursion arrived and asked to be allowed to wait and do mine with my fellow passengers, which was allowed.

It is amazing and the most wonderful experience I have ever had, short of giving birth to my daughter!

Joanie

• 4 months later...
The Dolpjhin Academy can be booked on your own! I know, I just came off my B2B Eastern and Westerdam Caribbean Cruise and booked the Dolphon swim independently!

The Academy accepted my on line booking and knew that I was ont he Westerdam.

There are 12 Intercoastal Bottleneck dolphins that are used for both the Dolphin Encounters and Dolphin Swims. They have several coves and 6-10 people in each pf the sessions, which happen basically at the same time.

I arrived via taxi ($5.00 per person one way in groups of 4 or more, $20.00 per person if one person in vehicle.)

I was at the Academy approximately 20 minutes befor the Ship's Excursion arrived and asked to be allowed to wait and do mine with my fellow passengers, which was allowed.

It is amazing and the most wonderful experience I have ever had, short of giving birth to my daughter!

Joanie

Thanks for the information! I had forgotten I posted here... glad to have the info!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 10 months later...

My husband and I just did (3/21/12) the Dolphin Encounter through Carnival Cruise Line ($127 each). We were very disappointed. To start with, the tour left an hour late (they said it was due to confusion over ship time vs. port time vs. daylight savings time) which wasted an hour of our limited time in Curacao - and there was not even an apology for this. The encounter was very brief (20 mins). You couldn't bring your own cameras into the water (even waterproof ones) - forced to spend $50 to get the photos (3 of each of us - 6 total on CD). Should have thought to give our camera to someone in the other group to take some photos. Then we were on our own to tour the aquarium for a couple of hours - lots of hands on exhibits that were nice for young children. Not much different than many other aquariums. Compared to the dolphin encounters our son and daughter went on in other locations, this was very disappointing.

Archived