Touring Versailles

locotogo

Going on GCT river cruise in May ..Burgundy and Provence to the Cote d'Azur, with 3 nights in Paris .. there is only one thing that my traveling companions (3 other women) and I don't totally agree on ... should we go on the optional tour through GCT to Versailles ($110.00) or try to go on our own using the Metro and finding our own guide, we would only have a half day .. Having never been to Paris I feel that the tour with GCT would be the most effecient way to go. Others think it would be no big deal to do it on our own ..any opinions would be appreciated ... thanks ..

Going on GCT river cruise in May ..Burgundy and Provence to the Cote d'Azur, with 3 nights in Paris .. there is only one thing that my traveling companions (3 other women) and I don't totally agree on ... should we go on the optional tour through GCT to Versailles ($110.00) or try to go on our own using the Metro and finding our own guide, we would only have a half day .. Having never been to Paris I feel that the tour with GCT would be the most effecient way to go. Others think it would be no big deal to do it on our own ..any opinions would be appreciated ... thanks ..

This is extremely easy to do from Paris! I have done this twice and you really can do this easily for so much less. I bought tickets at St. Michel metro station that included a round trip ticket on the train, and the entrance into the chateau (bypassing the line for tickets). It is SOOOOO easy. If you would like some specifics, please feel free to email me at sburbank35@aol.com

I absolutely LOVE Versailles. If you are the type that feels more comfortable with a group, by all means... you do not need a guide. There are audio guides when you enter the chateau.

Have a blast!!

we had a free day in Paris...I took she who must be obeyed to Versailles...took the train out...bought tickets with my high school french...my wife was sure we were headed for Berlin or something...very easy to do ...pretty sure my bad french was not needed...tour with the group was expensive..and they probably had a guide spending 20 minutes on the linen in the bedroom...go on your own..you get to spend time where you want

Absolutely do it on your own. We have high school French and had no problems. The big advantage is your flexibility. Versailles is crowded and the groups frequently have to wait for rooms to clear while you can wiggle through. The audio guides are excellent and imo are better than some human guides. In additon if you want to see the gardens you can spend more time than a tour would do. A warning, Versailles is huge and you will have trouble seeing it all in one day no matter how you do it.

This may seem a very odd question, but if it takes a whole day to see Versailles, are there places to eat and drink there? (restaurants/cafes) and do you have a choice?? sanny:confused:

Yes, actually there are a few. Last time we ate at the place just off the left after the first set of fountains. (if you are standing at the palace looking down toward the canal. BEFORE the grand canal. There are 2 places down by the grand canal also. The one off to the left is hidden behind a large hedge. It was really good... and not too outrageously priced.

Logotogo, you mentioned that you were going to be in Paris for 3 days? Might I suggest you get the museum pass? It is excellent and gives you access to a ton of museums including the Louvre and Versailles. We were there recently and the Paris metro system is so easy to navigate. Just get a metro map and you can go everywhere in the city (and outside the city) easy, peasy. We didn't even need to use our "high school" french except for greetings and thank you's. Have fun, and don't forget to go to Marie Antoinette's hamlet in Versailles, it is wonderful.

Sd, we have discussed the museum pass and decided we wouldn't get benefit out of the full pass but I think there was a "mini" pass of some kind that we might be getting, or maybe it was just to get the 3 or 4 individual tickets on the internet before we go. We may not all go to the same attractions .. in the beginning of discussion about going on this trip together I stated that everyone has to do what they want to do and not just go along with others if something is not of interest ... it is too much money to spend to go do what someone else wants to do when you would prefer something else ...

• 2 weeks later...

We actually thought the same thing about the museum pass at first but it also gets you into the museum faster as there is a separate line for pass holders. We ended up going to the Louvre twice, Versaille, Musee d'Orsay, a wonderful military museum, Rodin's and I think one more. We actually went to 3 in one day but I think this was the day we ran out of time so went back to the Louvre the next day. Just a thought.

I still think that the $110 is way too much money for the Versailles trip. We took a picnic lunch, had our museum pass and took the train. Very inexpensive and easy. Found a great cafe in a little plaza for a relaxing glass of wine before heading back to Paris. One of our most favorite days.

Paris is so fun and easy to get around we took the public transportation the entire time. Because there were four of us (one had been to Paris before) we split up at the Louvre and arranged to meet back up at the Starbucks. Another day two of us went to the top of the Eiffel Tower while the other two slept in! Splitting up into two's worked well but mostly we all did the same thing. Just sitting at a sidewalk cafe sipping a glass of wine and people watching was the biggest kick. If you love chocolate you must check out Angelinas and have the hot chocolate, OMG. We also found this fabulous flower park by the Chateau Vincennes, lovely watching the Parisians picknicking with their families. I'd love to go back, one of the best trips I've ever been on.

Thanks SD for the your thoughts on Paris, I will be sharing these posts with my friends ... funny though I have come around to thinking we should use the Metro and one who wanted to in the first place emailed me and said she was changing her mind about going on our own!! LOL In the end I think we will probably go on the Metro to see Versailles ... time will tell ..

Archived