is there shallow water snorkeling or is it all deep water?

courtneyMC

This may be a dumb question, but DH is unnerved by the deep water. In St. Maartan we were able to go snorkeling from a beach and it was great. Is there somewhere in Grand Cayman to do something like that? I've seen a lot about taking boat rides to the reef and to a shipwreck, but I don't want something that goes off a boat...

thanks!

Good news bad news.....

the water is shallow at 7 mile ... but you snorkel over sand.....

We hard core folks don't want to tell someone like hubby where to snorkel in shallow reef cuz he sounds like a person who will stand up

:eek: security alert....security alert. One DOES NOT stand on the coral....

So from this perspective, deep is better.

Capt. BJ I promise we won't stand on coral! We just don't want to be out in a boat to snorkel... I've been looking at the board some more and it sounds like Eden Point or Sunset House would work as far as good stuff to see without having to do it from a boat.

A big deterrent to standing anywhere while snorkeling off Grand Cayman is the urchins. Off some beaches there are quite a few.

I found a great lagoon for snorkeling across the road from the Indies Suites. At least that was the name of the hotel in 2004. I hear it is now a dorm for the med students. The water was no more than 10 feet deep. Many times when i was snorkeling there I was joined by a pair of eagle rays. There was a bar with drinks and snacks there along with plenty of chairs and tables.

Archived