Destiny & Excursion Confusion

sherizel

Hi all. I'm going on my very first cruise in June on the Destiny. I am going with a few friends and none of us have cruised before. We are going to Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman. We're kind of confused about excursions. I know there is a message board specifically for ports but just in general do you book excursions through Carnival or on your own? Some people have told me you have to book through Carnival. Others have told me it's a rip off and to do it on your own. Is it worth it to pay money just to lay on the beach? If you book on your own is it safe? What do all you experienced cruisers think?

Hi all. I'm going on my very first cruise in June on the Destiny. I am going with a few friends and none of us have cruised before. We are going to Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman. We're kind of confused about excursions. I know there is a message board specifically for ports but just in general do you book excursions through Carnival or on your own? Some people have told me you have to book through Carnival. Others have told me it's a rip off and to do it on your own. Is it worth it to pay money just to lay on the beach? If you book on your own is it safe? What do all you experienced cruisers think?

Welcome to CC!:) In Grand Cayman we took a cab to the beach and then shopping and it was fine. I'd be more careful in Ocho Rios!;)

Welcome to CC:D

As a 1st time cruiser, I'd recommend that you book with the ship. Yes, it's more expensive and larger crowds, but at the same time you won't need to worry about finding a vendor, stressing if you get lost, etc.

GC is great for swimming with the Stingrays. I've never been to OR, so I don't have any recommendations. Definately visit the Ports of Calls board to narrow down what might interest you.

Enjoy your cruise:)

My first couple of cruises, booked off the ships. Less worry, and stress and after all you are on vacation and don't need any of that. GC if all you want to do is beach day, a taxi ride is easy. We even did book an excursion from Carnival last Oct, the snuba. It was great, even if the weather wasn't. Ocho Rios, if you want to feel safe, book something from Carnival to see the island, or one of the all inclusive resort Cruiser Day Pass. At the resort it is usually meals and drinks, even alcohol included, plus a nice beach without locals bothering you. Welcome to CC. Have a great trip.

We also booked excursions through Carnival for our first cruise. It is definitely less expensive to book a private tour (but be sure to do your homework and check out the port of call boards). For us, now, it depends on where we cruise. When we were in Grand Cayman the first time, we scheduled the stingrays with Captain Marvin. It was an unique experience and I would highly recommend it. This year when we go on the Destiny in the fall, we are going to do a tour of the island. In Ochos Rios we are going to book an excursion through Carnival. I want to see the falls and we like catamarans/trimarans (I can't remember the actual name of it), so that is our tour choice for Ochos Rios.

As a 1st time cruiser, book with Carnival. We just got back from OR & GC (on board Destiny). GC seemed very safe and you could probably trust an independant cruise picked up on the pier. We had pre-book a snorkel excursion with the stingrays (WONDERFUL!) through Carnival, but there were lots of vendors at the pier and it all seemed safe.

In Ochee, we had not booked an excursion, as we were planning on just doing the beach. Last minute, we booked with an independant and toured the island. Probably wasn't the best tour I've had and didn't feel quite confortable either. I'd recommend the Zip Line/Canopy Tour in Ochee (everyone coming back from it had a BLAST).

Bit of advise: Once you make your payment to Carnival, book your excursions with them on-line. DON'T WAIT UNTIL YOU ARE ON THE CRUISE, as the best ones will be full.

Relax, have fun, GO CARNIVAL.

I'm gonna shake things up and say book on your own, you are going to very easy ports, GC will have excursion booths right at the pier, these are professional companies that know when you have to be back to the ship. In OR catch a taxi to the beach, you will have no problem finding another to get home, they are everywhere waiting for people to take back to the ship.

have a great first cruise and please go over to the ports of call boards to see what everyone is doing in the ports you will be visiting.

I'm doing this same cruise next month and suggest that you do a Carnival tour in OR, but in GC that you book independently. Too many bad reviews and reports from Jamaica - check the boards - to take a chance; book a trip to the falls, a beach break, or something that interests you. GC is much more peaceful and safe to explore on your own - just don't be late getting back! We booked a snorkel/stingray trip through a local operator to avoid some of the crowds associated with the cruise tours. I agree with the advice to book in advance, on-line for the Carnival excursions in order to ensure that your 1st choice is not sold out. Good luck!:)

Archived