WE DID IT - Anguilla day trip from St. Martin

cruisecouple88

So I have been reading several posts about whether or not to do a day trip to Anguilla from St. Martin for about 8 months now. We were on Serenade of the Seas last week. Our second stop was St. Martin. I finally decided - we were going to do it! And we did.

DH and I got off the ship at 7:20 am. Took a taxi to Marigot ($18 one way). Got the 8:15 ferry to Anguilla ($20 each - $5 port tax and $15 for the ticket) . It took a few minutes to get through customs and then we got another taxi to Shoal Bay to Uncle Ernies ($26 one way). We arriveda bout 9:20. Once we got to Shoal bay it was beautiful. We paid $10 for two lounge chairs and an umbrella. The water was too rough that day to get in and do anything. The water came all the way up past the chairs at times. We spent the day relaxing on the beach with only about 10 other people. We had lunch and a drink at Uncle Ernies. We made arrangements for the taxi driver to pick us up at 2:30 pm so we could make the 3:00 ferry. We got back to Marigot about 3:30. We got a taxi back to the ship and were back onboard about 4:15. That left plenty of time before the ship departed at 5:00. :)

So was it worth it? I would have to say - no. My DH was nervous and stressed the entire time. He didn't think we were going to get back to the ship in time. It costs a lot more than we expected. Overall it was over $200 when you include the tips. And we only had one drink and a sandwich for lunch. The beach was beautiful!!! ... but I wouldn't do it again. I'm sure you could find a beach just as nice closer to the ship to save money and not feel so much stress.

• 3 weeks later...

Too bad that you were there when the seas were rough, which is fairly uncommon.

I'm sure you could find a beach just as nice closer to the ship to save money and not feel so much stress.

IMO, there is no finer beach anywhere. But I understand the hassle/cost factor.

I've done the Anguilla day trip while on a week long St. Maarten vacation, gutsy move trying it while on a cruise!!!

We agree that Shoal Bay is one of the most beautiful beaches we've ever been to but it is too expensive and time consuming to make the day trips. We noticed some very nice condos and efficiencies near Shoal Bay, some day we plan on spending a few days on Anguilla.

Thanks for telling us about your trip to Anguilla. Anguilla interests us, too. Princess used to offer the Anguilla Dolphin Discovery Encounter as an excursion from St. Maarten. This is how we would prefer to go to Anguilla, since the ship will wait for us if there is a delay.

We did, however, take a Princess sponsored catamaran ride from St. Maarten to St. Barths in October 2007. We especially enjoyed the scenery on the ride there and back. The port of Gustavia was quiet. We did some shopping and sightseeing, and we swam at Shell Beach. We are glad we did this tour, since it is no longer offered by the cruise line.

DavidnSteph

Thanks for telling us about your trip to Anguilla. Anguilla interests us, too. Princess used to offer the Anguilla Dolphin Discovery Encounter as an excursion from St. Maarten. This is how we would prefer to go to Anguilla, since the ship will wait for us if there is a delay.

I believe that the Anguilla Dolphin abusement park is no more.

• 7 months later...
Will the ship give it back to you for the day?

I do not remember handing over my passport on any cruise. This would be something that you would need to discuss with someone at the pursers desk once you have boarded. On a side note, it is always wise to bring a photocopy of your passport along with you when you travel just in case you lose your passport because the photocopy would help speed up the process of obtaining another passport.

Archived