Sea Lion Encounter at Cayo Levantado

Nerina

Hi,

We're sailing on Explorer the end of March. Has anyone done the Sea Lion Encounter at Cayo Levantado? We've never been to Samana and it looks like it might be fun - swimming with the sea lions & time on the beach. :D Any reviews/feedback would be much appreciated!

Past Cruises:

2003 Serenade of the Seas – Canada

2004 Voyager of the Seas – Western Caribbean

2005 Jewel of the Seas – Westbound Transatlantic

2006 Explorer of the Seas – Bermuda

2006 Explorer of the Seas – Bermuda

2007 Radiance of the Seas – Hawaii Circle

2008 Explorer of the Seas – Southern Caribbean

2008 Eurodam – NYC Introduction Cruise

Future Cruises:

2009 Explorer of the Seas – Eastern Caribbean

2009 Norwegian Jewel – New England & Canada

I hope someone can help you further, but this is what we saw. There is a section of the beach roped off in the water. Everyone is in the water with one sea lion. It looked pretty disapointing from where we sat on the beach. About 15 people with the sea lion's trainer and he just swam around them. However the day at the beach was wonderful. We used the cruise ships tour.

I hope someone can help you further, but this is what we saw. There is a section of the beach roped off in the water. Everyone is in the water with one sea lion. It looked pretty disapointing from where we sat on the beach. About 15 people with the sea lion's trainer and he just swam around them. However the day at the beach was wonderful. We used the cruise ships tour.

Thanks for the great info. Glad we've been looking into other options. You mention your day at the beach was wonderful. Did you happen to take the 5 hour ship tour? If so, is it possible to leave the island before 5 hours? DH not to sure he wants to stay out in the sun to long.

Did this tour in January - i enjoyed it a lot but the OP is correct. Everyone on the beach can watch you as its roped off at one end of the beach. One trainer, one sealion - about 15 minutes on land learning about the sea lions, and about 15 minutes in the water. i thought it was really cute, but a bit too rigid (we stood in a line the entire time). But i absolutely loved how we were on the beach already after it (to get over to Cayo levantado all other guests on the ship had to spend i think $40 pp just to get there & back (the Cayo Levantado Beach Experience which would add up to $160 for a family of 4 for a beach day). This way we got the beach AND sea lion experience which was nice. The beach is really pretty (note: no umbrellas) and food was typical burgers and fries. Tenders back to the ship run about every 20 minutes after 1pm.

Thanks for the great info. Glad we've been looking into other options. You mention your day at the beach was wonderful. Did you happen to take the 5 hour ship tour? If so, is it possible to leave the island before 5 hours? DH not to sure he wants to stay out in the sun to long.

We did take the ships tour. I also cannot stay in the sun too long, but after being in NY in the winter the sun did feel wonderful and not too hot, nice breeze. There are tables and shaded areas. Many BBQ or buffet stations to eat, but the one directly off the beach is the one that the ship recomends and is approved by them. I do not know if you can leave after a few hours, it was such an enjoyable day that we stayed.

Archived