Arriving late into San Juan

warmwinds

We're flying from the West Coast and I'm a little concerned that since we'll be arriving so late (close to midnight) that our hotel (the Sheraton) will have given away our room and walk us to another hotel (we are guaranteed for late arrival, but we know hotels overbook, and we know they are already sold out for our nights).

Has this happened to anyone, or are we worrying needlessly?

We're flying from the West Coast and I'm a little concerned that since we'll be arriving so late (close to midnight) that our hotel (the Sheraton) will have given away our room and walk us to another hotel (we are guaranteed for late arrival, but we know hotels overbook, and we know they are already sold out for our nights).

Has this happened to anyone, or are we worrying needlessly?

You are right to worry. We arrived at 11:00 and the Radisson had prepayment for 10 months before the trip. When we arrived to our room, there was one King bed, we called down to the desk and stated, I had asked for twin beds when I made the reservation, and the desk clerk said, all of the twin bed rooms were given to earlier arrivals. With us arriving so late, that was the only room left. SO we were stuck for the 1 night, they did upgrade us the next morning to a room with two queen beds, but my friend spent a pretty uncomfortable night on a roll-a-way bed, and we had the inconvenience of moving all of our stuff the next day.

Not sure that there is really anything you can do about it though, as you said, hotels are as notorious as airlines and cruiselines for overbooking.

Good Luck!

it could happen. hotels do overbook rooms during high season, tip: call them before coming to san juan and tell them that you are definitely arriving to the hotel and that you are confirming again, write down the name of the employee who helped you.

We recently arrived at our hotel at 1am after getting in from a 12am flight. We called the day before to speak to the front desk to tell them of our late arrival. We had a room but it was the worst room in place - above the band that played till 3am. Like the other poster we just upgraded the next day when people had checked out. I called the front desk at 3am and went down at 8am and got another room no problems. Anything is possible but if they are overbooked they should be putting you up in another place free of charge. Just make sure to call them the day of or day before if you can. And don't just call the reservation 1800 number. Call the hotel direct and ask to speak to the front desk. Try not to worry too much though :)

Archived